Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Blue Community > Blue Server Chat

Closed Thread

Old 08-12-2015, 09:18 AM
Sarnak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ele [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Just addressing the use of FTE messages, not advocating for or against them (they are clearly not classic), but just explaining the context and why they were implemented:

Without the use of FTE messages EVERY single boss kill with 2 more guilds present in the zone was immediately petitioned (a lot of times before the boss even died) to determine who had the rights to loot the corpse. A lot of boss kills turned into 150+ person dogpiles to kill steal each other. A lot of times GMs were not available immediately to call the engage and rightful loot owner, so people would loot the items and no drops and award items only to have the GMs later strip the items from the characters and give them to new characters because someone else actually had the rightful FTE. This resulted in quite of a number of epic weapons being destroyed, then the constituent pieces having to be reimbursed and the other pieces redistributed.

So instead of requiring that an unpaid volunteer GM be available for every single boss spawn and/or doing hours and hours of back in log pulls and item swaps each week, they added FTE messages which serve the same purpose of being a virtual "GM" to call the engage.
Ooooh. So the staff implemented a non-classic feature because it was a kind of... quality of life upgrade. That makes sense. Yep.
Last edited by Zeonick; 08-12-2015 at 09:22 AM..
Old 08-12-2015, 10:09 AM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeonick [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Ooooh. So the staff implemented a non-classic feature because it was a kind of... quality of life upgrade. That makes sense. Yep.
Being the staff and all, they kind of get to do what they want to make it easier on themselves.
Old 08-12-2015, 11:28 AM
Sarnak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ele [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Being the staff and all, they kind of get to do what they want to make it easier on themselves.
Yeah man, I totally agree with their thinking on that one. Sacrificing some pain-in-the-ass classic features for some more modern, quality of life features sounds like a rock-solid plan. They should think about doing the same sort of thing for the playerbase. That'd be saaweet!

#DisgruntledShaman
Old 08-12-2015, 11:49 AM
Fire Giant

somewhere, someone is masturbating furiously to the tears in this thread
Old 08-12-2015, 12:00 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeonick [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Yeah man, I totally agree with their thinking on that one. Sacrificing some pain-in-the-ass classic features for some more modern, quality of life features sounds like a rock-solid plan. They should think about doing the same sort of thing for the playerbase. That'd be saaweet!

#DisgruntledShaman
Can't wait for Guild Lobby, Extended Target Window, HoTT window, Spell Casting Awareness, Inspect Buffs, Target Rings, Compass, Maps, Seeing Group Members Mana, Out of Combat Regen!

Loved all those quality of life updates.
Old 08-12-2015, 12:13 PM
Orc

If I was on staff, the first thing I'd do is go after all the people with non-classic names. The ones with names that reference pop culture, or names that are sentances, any names that don't adhere to the naming policy. Sure, there was a bit of that in classic, but it was nowhere near as prevalent as it is on P1999.

Be glad I'm not on staff. They may not have time to police the names on the server, but I would, and you guys with the kooky names I'd go after first. Then I'd go after the guild names.

And both camps, classic and non-classic, would learn to hate me. And your tears would be my bidet.
Old 08-12-2015, 12:25 PM
Sarnak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daldaen [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Can't wait for Guild Lobby, Extended Target Window, HoTT window, Spell Casting Awareness, Inspect Buffs, Target Rings, Compass, Maps, Seeing Group Members Mana, Out of Combat Regen!

Loved all those quality of life updates.
Nice slippery slope argument there. I dont think anyone playing on a classic server wants all the features of live. I dont. There are just a select few that really make the game more enjoyable. I can live with the buff timers. It sucks, but it's not a huge deal. But there are certain parts of classic that are just so outdated, and were fixed for a reason. I just really want to keep mousewheel scroll [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Old 08-12-2015, 01:22 PM
Kobold

NEWS FLASH:

Kimberly-Clark Worldwide, Inc. reports record sales of Kleenex Brand Tissue since P99 nerfed spell timers.

Seriously, this discussion is still going on? And you all made fun of the Pro-Luclin Model community?
Old 08-12-2015, 01:39 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Nice slippery slope argument there. I dont think anyone playing on a classic server wants all the features of live. I dont. There are just a select few that really make the game more enjoyable. I can live with the buff timers. It sucks, but it's not a huge deal. But there are certain parts of classic that are just so outdated, and were fixed for a reason. I just really want to keep mousewheel scroll [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
My point was each individual wants to mix and match what "quality of life" features they feel are acceptable on this server.

The problem is most every one of them makes the game easier, and allows players to play more precisely/quickly/efficiently.

Playing a CC or Debuff class without Cycle Target hotkey is very different. Enchanters are godlike because of that hotkey, without it locking down 8 targets in a small space is immensely harder. In close situations where you need another tick or two of mana to cast a spell, being able to see your exact mana value is quite helpful. When lulling or splitting a room, being able to scroll out and get some targets is far faster than swapping between 5 crappy F9 views and the one you want, and then panning around to get the right angle and then panning back to the view you want etc.

So instead of letting players pick and choose the ones they feel benefit them the most, just go 100% Classic as far as the developers can within the limitations of the client/code.

Really though... Some people will quit each time a change happens, and that's fine. But the vast majority will cry on the boards, and then forget about it in 2 weeks when you're used to it.

It's happened with the maps, the compass, target rings, con colors, buff timers, low HP buff removal, cast timers on clickies, luclin models, etc. etc. All that stuff got banished and most people have forgotten it used to be here and how it worked.
Old 08-12-2015, 01:51 PM
Planar Protector

None of those are big deals - especially if you have played EQ enough where you don't need maps, compasses, or con colors because you know it all by heart.

But A LOT of people would quit if you removed Duxa (or even the Titanium default UI) and forced 10 hotkeys/1 chat window.

Blue
Tofusin - 60 Monk <BDA>
Shiroe - 60 Enchanter
Manowarr - 60 Druid
Closed Thread