Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > General Community > Rants and Flames

Closed Thread

Old 08-07-2018, 07:32 AM
Sarnak

The thing is around where I live the majority of the beggars do it for a living in of itself. We have shelters and food banks. You aren't going to freeze or starve to death.

Now when I visited India and saw beggars, it was a completely different feeling. Especially when you see kids on the streets begging. In these situations I tend to be callous, I really don't know a better way to be. Might come from being taken advantage of one too many times in life.
Old 08-07-2018, 08:33 AM
Banned

[BARKS]
Old 08-07-2018, 08:35 AM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wonkie [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
elaborate prose can be used to express horrible opinions

also: water is wet
/bonk ^^

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cecily [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Your argument simplifies to fix entirely or don't bother. That's the "truth" I responded to.
yep, or more simply, if you can't fix it, doing nothing is prefereable to propagating it.

Quote:
Unlike you, I don't view short term solutions as subsidizing long term problems.
why not? It doesn't conflict with your next conclusion, which I agree with. they're not mutually exclusive conclusions.

Quote:
I see them as short term solutions to short term problems.
They are ^^ that doesn't mean they don't perpetuate the condition though.

Quote:
A penniless, hungry person is in a state of urgent need. It doesn't matter how they got there. It doesn't matter if they have realistic plan to fix their life.
I don't expect someone living on the street to have a plan for fixing their life. it's an unreasonable expectation and one that society is equipped to help with. outside of severe cognitive defecit and choice, the one pre-requisite for living on the street is lack of discipline and that isn't the individual's fault. what is required of that person is a desire for change if given the right tools and direction. Its liek rehab. You can send people there, but unless they want it, the change will not be lasting.

Quote:
It matters that they are hungry and that short term problem needs a solution before anything long term can be addressed.
it does, but attending the short term problem without a long term solution allows us to defer it indefinitely. if we didn't have so many people freely subsidizing this sort of misery, society, the state and affected individuals would be compelled to do more ^^

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimjam [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Collect food from local supermarkets that is past its shelf life. Make sandwiches. Hand them out. Have human conversations, but also distribute info on where they can get help with social issues, finances, housing, addiction, whatever.

It's an easy hole to fall into and can become hard to escape.
it is and for most people it is inescapable alone :c almost everyone who ends up there lacks the tools and direction needed for the climb out. Fortunately, both are found in abundance across productive society ^^. there's no reason why the tools, direction and further aid conditioned on their adoption cannot be made freely available. there are shelters that do this.
Old 08-08-2018, 11:41 AM
Sarnak

Quote:
Originally Posted by clevergirl [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
If I was a beggar I'd save and attempt to not be a beggar.

Problem is beggars can't save. They also get mugged and robbed. They typically can't get jobs either. May not even have ID or have some serious health problems. Yeah they can be scam artists, even those are just trying to make a living with maybe the only skill they have.

They just are. It's dumb to look down at them.
Most beggars are the way they are because they're either A.)Lazy and don't want to take responsibility and get a job. B.)Addicts C.) Years of being addicts and having a victim mentality has turned their brain to mush.

Whether it is one of those reasons or all of them combined, to MOST people trying to get money standing on the off-ramp to the interstate I have no sympathy(especially when that certain off-ramp is walking distance away to a neighborhood that is almost all drug dealers). And If i was in the same position, I'd rather someone offer to help me get into a treatment facility rather than just enable me to continue to poison myself.

So, yea. Most beggars, get fucked.
Old 08-08-2018, 12:08 PM
Planar Protector

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashintar [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
When you send a random tell to someone you've known forever, however have not spoken to in a long while... And it is answered by someone named CaptainCrunch (or some such) then you send a tell to the Mistress of Drama to complain about it and she is afk??

How many people prune their friends list on a regular basis? What awkward stories do you have about sending an old friend a "hello" only to be greeted by a rando playing their character?
I play so infrequently that most or all my friends list is never around (or only during raid times it seems). I do get /tells at times from people that I have no clue who they are. Some even talk to me like they know me but I have no fucking clue who they are. Matters not really though since there's only about 1000 people and we're all going to cross paths more than once.

Perhaps the real question is, "Why does a goofy character name bother you so much?"
Old 08-08-2018, 07:57 PM
Orc

https://imgur.com/a/ysFjS

Won scout roll and server reset began 3 seconds after last roll. Of course <Aftermath> that rolled logged in after reset and turned in and decided the roll was canceled by the reset.
Old 08-08-2018, 08:33 PM
Fire Giant

/wave Drumas
Old 08-09-2018, 01:15 AM
Planar Protector

P99 ethics: Rawls is laughing while Noddings is nodding.

Melon might be too Aristotilian for the contemporary world since reason hasn't meant anything for over a century.
Old 08-10-2018, 10:29 AM
Fire Giant

Hi Fingerz, miss you!

Drumas - 60 Cleric
Ashintar - 60 Wizard
Closed Thread