Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > General Community > Off Topic

Closed Thread

Old 01-04-2016, 04:50 PM
Planar Protector

Lightbulb Making a Murderer

Who's watched this/who is watching this? It's absolutely fascinating. It's on Netflix and I dare you to not binge watch it.
Old 01-04-2016, 05:02 PM
Banned

Send a message via AIM to Lu|zSect

[You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Old 01-04-2016, 05:14 PM
Aviak

I finished it on Sat night and def binge watched the whole thing. Is this where we talk about everything and give spoilers to the end? I probably have 1,000 questions.
Old 01-04-2016, 05:14 PM
Planar Protector

Think there might be lots of important omissions by documentarians who made this, but it was good.
Blueberrii - 60 Mage
Gigglepurr - 60 Shaman
Kids - 60 Rogue
Fornfamnad - 60 Cleric
Old 01-04-2016, 06:05 PM
Banned

ppl still give money to the MPAA, an organization that invests said money back into lobbying people to point guns at you to create an artificial monopoly so you have no choice but to pay for more oppression or be called Amish? when the internet exists? yikes
Old 01-04-2016, 06:42 PM
Banned

If you like this show you should watch:

The Jinx (HBO)
Paradise Lost Trillogy (HBO)
Serial (Podcast)

um.. those are the 3 I can think of.

Oh and I think the lawyers for the defense, though they seemed smart, were pretty... Idk.. bad?

It's not like they Erin Brokoviched this case that much.. I mean they did with the vial of blood, but in Erin Brockovich they would have done their own testing, not just FBI testing of the bloodstains.

Is just scooping the key up off a bedroom floor enough to attach that bedroom owners DNA on it? I dont know, sees like that could be a good case to make.

But they didn't really go out and investigate the crime. Like they should have done more investigation at the second burn site, they surely could have found something.

I honestly think there should have been more investigation of other folks in the area, like those creepy relatives that had nothing nice to say about Steven on the stand...

One thing you'll learn watching Paradise Lost

no matter how guilty someone might look or seem, if you just look around you you might find someone who looks WAY guiltier, and in a documentary, since you only see who they the filmmakers themselves are looking at, you might be missing the obvious perp sitting there, just a block down the road.

About Stevens case.. As I was watching Making a murderer I thought to myself, shouldn't you want to have Brandon and Steven on trial for the murder, together? Brandon's confession is so absurd and obviously false, yet it was the very reason they were able to arrest Steven. Wouldn't you want the prosecution to come at you with such obviously false claims if you were Stevens lawyers?

If they did, would they have a better chance at getting off? No evidence in the house or bed of any rape, no evidence in the garage of any shooting other than the bullet, no blood, a huge mess of clutter, nothing there either. I mean you saw the show, there was nothing that had to do with anything Brandon said.

When they were so excited each time one of the counts from the Brandon confession was removed from Avery's case all I could think is, why would want the prosecution to be forced to distance itself from such an obviously false claim?

All that said if they did this wouldn't it mean for Brandon's case they would have spent more time going over with a fine tooth comb investigating with dna evidence discovering that there was no damage to the bed from rape/binding, blood or anything to corroborate his confession at all?

And why wasn't that something his defense even seemed to try to push for at the end anyway? How can you send someone to jail for making a confession about a murder, that cannot and does not match the evidence at all? its like he may as well said he road a dinosaur into the trailer and tail whipped her to death... then he actually gets prosecuted for tail whipping a woman to death with a dinosaur!! This system of law makes zero sense to me, zero.

Maybe the Brandon trial was abridged a lot compared to the Avery trial, but it seemed like there was all this attention to detail to proving how wrong the confession was during the Avery trial, but it didn't seem so during Brandon's.

I dont think the police did it, I don't think there was a major conspiracy or anything. I do think the police wanted to arrest someone as quickly as possible and did not and do not ever really care, if they have the right person. I think thats what happened here. I think that the killer is likely a relative other than Brandon and I think he was interviewed in the documentary, but not investigated.

I just dont see any motive to suddenly be like, hmm ill rape this woman because I'm about to get 36 mil from the state and I'm also engaged to someone who loves me and I'm very excited about that.

Just doesn't add up. But a real cold blooded relative? in the sticks? that makes sense.
Last edited by iruinedyourday; 01-04-2016 at 06:46 PM..
Old 01-04-2016, 06:55 PM
Planar Protector

I've was falsely accused of a felony once. I was facing about twenty years. In the end, it took a brief incarceration, seven subsequent years of monthly court dates, house arrest, and tens of thousands of dollars to clear my name. There was no recompense, of course. Really, I was fortunate.

Watching this documentary was almost too much. I recommend it to anyone looking for something to be fucking outraged about. In my experience, this is how detectives and district attorneys go about their business. THAT is the major conspiracy at play here. The criminal justice system is about convictions, period, while only claiming to care about truth.
Old 01-04-2016, 07:05 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by iruinedyourday [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
If you like this show you should watch:

The Jinx (HBO)
Paradise Lost Trillogy (HBO)
Serial (Podcast)

um.. those are the 3 I can think of.

Oh and I think the lawyers for the defense, though they seemed smart, were pretty... Idk.. bad?

It's not like they Erin Brokoviched this case that much.. I mean they did with the vial of blood, but in Erin Brockovich they would have done their own testing, not just FBI testing of the bloodstains.

Is just scooping the key up off a bedroom floor enough to attach that bedroom owners DNA on it? I dont know, sees like that could be a good case to make.

But they didn't really go out and investigate the crime. Like they should have done more investigation at the second burn site, they surely could have found something.

I honestly think there should have been more investigation of other folks in the area, like those creepy relatives that had nothing nice to say about Steven on the stand...

One thing you'll learn watching Paradise Lost

no matter how guilty someone might look or seem, if you just look around you you might find someone who looks WAY guiltier, and in a documentary, since you only see who they the filmmakers themselves are looking at, you might be missing the obvious perp sitting there, just a block down the road.

About Stevens case.. As I was watching Making a murderer I thought to myself, shouldn't you want to have Brandon and Steven on trial for the murder, together? Brandon's confession is so absurd and obviously false, yet it was the very reason they were able to arrest Steven. Wouldn't you want the prosecution to come at you with such obviously false claims if you were Stevens lawyers?

If they did, would they have a better chance at getting off? No evidence in the house or bed of any rape, no evidence in the garage of any shooting other than the bullet, no blood, a huge mess of clutter, nothing there either. I mean you saw the show, there was nothing that had to do with anything Brandon said.

When they were so excited each time one of the counts from the Brandon confession was removed from Avery's case all I could think is, why would want the prosecution to be forced to distance itself from such an obviously false claim?

All that said if they did this wouldn't it mean for Brandon's case they would have spent more time going over with a fine tooth comb investigating with dna evidence discovering that there was no damage to the bed from rape/binding, blood or anything to corroborate his confession at all?

And why wasn't that something his defense even seemed to try to push for at the end anyway? How can you send someone to jail for making a confession about a murder, that cannot and does not match the evidence at all? its like he may as well said he road a dinosaur into the trailer and tail whipped her to death... then he actually gets prosecuted for tail whipping a woman to death with a dinosaur!! This system of law makes zero sense to me, zero.

Maybe the Brandon trial was abridged a lot compared to the Avery trial, but it seemed like there was all this attention to detail to proving how wrong the confession was during the Avery trial, but it didn't seem so during Brandon's.

I dont think the police did it, I don't think there was a major conspiracy or anything. I do think the police wanted to arrest someone as quickly as possible and did not and do not ever really care, if they have the right person. I think thats what happened here. I think that the killer is likely a relative other than Brandon and I think he was interviewed in the documentary, but not investigated.

I just dont see any motive to suddenly be like, hmm ill rape this woman because I'm about to get 36 mil from the state and I'm also engaged to someone who loves me and I'm very excited about that.

Just doesn't add up. But a real cold blooded relative? in the sticks? that makes sense.
did you actually write all that shit? im not about to read enough of it to find out
Old 01-04-2016, 07:09 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barkingturtle [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
THAT is the major conspiracy at play here. The criminal justice system is about convictions, period, while only claiming to care about truth.
I was watching a documentary about politics from the 60s and was outraged at how, everything we're arguing about right now they argued about 40 years ago.

buuut on the bright side, I like to think that we are on the tail end of fixing problems that take 40 years to fix.

So that makes me think, our corrupt broken justice system will be fixed!

Just not be fixed until 2056.

Maybe things will move 50% faster since we aren't all ass backwards conservatives IRL and we'll only have to wait for 2031 or something.

Either way I agree, corruption in our criminal justice system needs to be squashed. They had a great quote at the end of MaM that resonated pretty profoundly with me, 'we just dont think the law is wrong, we believe the people that maintain it are innocent until the end, we don't want to know our system is as broken as it really is'

We just love the idea of blind justice and think its real.

But it aint.

...the answer?

[You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Old 01-04-2016, 08:08 PM
Planar Protector

I love documentaries. Especially ones based on finding missing persons and solving murders. Gut-wrenching stuff at times, like the Paradise Lost series. That kind of stuff makes me cry. [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]

One of the more memorable ones lately really shocked the hell out of me.
9/11: Decade of Deception (updated)

That whole "Bush knocked down the towers" or "it was an inside job" thing. I thought you all were just kidding. Wow. I had no idea... [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Closed Thread