Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > General Community > Off Topic

Closed Thread

Old 01-05-2016, 02:00 PM
Sarnak

Default Heads up RE Oculus Rift

Oculus Rift will start taking pre-orders tomorrow at 8:00 Pacific.

If you have a PC that is capable of running VR (I use a i7 5930 at 4.4ghz/32GB DDR4/GTX 980), YOU SHOULD STOP WHATEVER YOU'RE DOING AT 8:00 TOMORROW AND ORDER ONE.

I've been using DK2 in Elite Dangerous since the game launched, I can't describe it to you, but it is hands-down the most immersive, incredible, awesome experience you can have in front of a computer. I'm a god damned space pilot; that's the best way I can put it.

Alien Isolation? Very pedestrian on a monitor, not bad but kind of like most things, forgettable. Playing on Oculus Rift? Scream-out-loud, intense, "Jesus Christ why did I play this at night, I'm not going to be able to go to sleep now."

Dying light? Not a bad game on a monitor, again forgettable. Playing on Oculus Rift "HOLY FUCK I DON'T EVEN LIKE HEIGHTS WHY AM I DOING THIS?!"

Assetto Corsa? Yaay, I'm playing a driving game, I kind of like driving games, this one is not bad. On Rift? "Jesus Christ I'm a fucking race car driver, holy shit I can naturally look at the apex of a turn and steer into it, this is fucking great!!"

The games for VR will only get better, too. I cannot sing the praises of this thing enough.

Yeah Vive might be better, but this one will be available first so I'll wind up getting both.
Old 01-05-2016, 05:49 PM
Planar Protector

I cannot wait to don this fine piece of gadgetry whilst working faction with Muffins for Pandos.
Old 01-06-2016, 02:01 AM
Banned

Oculus Rift is a joke, VR will never be a thing as there is no current technology that can combine your brain with hardware/software. Oculus Rift at best is like going to see a 3d movie, while yes its cool for the first time, it quickly loses its value.
Old 01-06-2016, 02:06 AM
Banned

let me know when i can sex with it k
Old 01-06-2016, 02:13 AM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grubbz [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Oculus Rift is a joke, VR will never be a thing as there is no current technology that can combine your brain with hardware/software. Oculus Rift at best is like going to see a 3d movie, while yes its cool for the first time, it quickly loses its value.
its not even VR.

Calling it VR is just wrong for so many reasons.

It doesn't cover even 3 of the human senses, nevermind all 5 senses.

Its a fun expansion on the 3D movie gimmick.

PKer & Master Trainer and Terrorist of Sullon Zek
Kills: 1278, Deaths: 76, Killratio: 16.82
Old 01-06-2016, 02:48 AM
Banned

Imagine using oculus rift and being mad afterwards. God I feel so sorry for you.
Old 01-06-2016, 02:57 AM
Banned

I'll be willing to call it VR when you can give me a melee combat game that tracks my RL body as a ragdoll (no canned animations). I'm even willing to settle for no force feedback. You could still do a pretty sweet lightsaber type game where your sword can cut through anything in the environment, although decent fencing will be out of the question until force feedback is doable and I can't even begin to imagine how that would be achieved. And all of this would be better accomplished by using mocap style tracking on a human body, not a clumsy and stupid head gyroscope.

I do like the idea of the monitor taking up my entire field of view tho. I'm excited for that. But the push for novel input devices that is happening alongside Oculus is the actual exciting part of this, and I just don't see anything reasonably priced or particularly interesting coming soon.

Enjoy your gay monitor and craning your neck around like an 8 year old trying to get the Wiimote to track properly so you can look at an inferior 3d-rendered anime girl's tits.
Last edited by James_Joyce; 01-06-2016 at 03:24 AM..
Old 01-06-2016, 05:33 AM
Banned

Can I play tetris
Old 01-06-2016, 10:26 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevris [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]

Alien Isolation? Very pedestrian on a monitor, not bad but kind of like most things, forgettable.
[You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Old 01-06-2016, 10:28 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by James_Joyce [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I'll be willing to call it VR when you can give me a melee combat game that tracks my RL body as a ragdoll (no canned animations). I'm even willing to settle for no force feedback. You could still do a pretty sweet lightsaber type game where your sword can cut through anything in the environment, although decent fencing will be out of the question until force feedback is doable and I can't even begin to imagine how that would be achieved. And all of this would be better accomplished by using mocap style tracking on a human body, not a clumsy and stupid head gyroscope.

I do like the idea of the monitor taking up my entire field of view tho. I'm excited for that. But the push for novel input devices that is happening alongside Oculus is the actual exciting part of this, and I just don't see anything reasonably priced or particularly interesting coming soon.

Enjoy your gay monitor and craning your neck around like an 8 year old trying to get the Wiimote to track properly so you can look at an inferior 3d-rendered anime girl's tits.
Force feedback could be done with a system of pistons, pulleys, or lockable joints all over the suit that would prevent you from moving a certain way (like if you cross sabers with someone and cannot move your saber further on it's arc)
Closed Thread