Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Class Discussions > Tanks

Closed Thread

Old 10-25-2019, 05:47 AM
Fire Giant

The root strategy will be a bit awkward on green because root and snare don't stack, and root has a tendency to break randomly, especially in a group where the mob gets hit by several nukes/procs over the course of the fight. When root breaks and the mob isn't snared, it can take off running without warning which is dangerous. People should still do this if the tank is a warrior, but it puts hybrids even further ahead since rooting isn't necessary with them.
Old 10-25-2019, 06:03 AM
Sarnak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soothsayer [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
True, vanilla mobs have less HP. But on the other hand, we'll also be doing substantially less damage due to lack of twink gear [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Legidias [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
So will everyone else
Not casters.
Old 10-25-2019, 07:17 AM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noselacri [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Not casters.
This made me think of how brutal NPC casters are against ungeared parties. Better interrupt like every damn spell or be ready for the pain! Blinds, slows, dots, nukes, charms, heals. Oof.
Old 10-25-2019, 08:37 AM
Planar Protector

In classic, Warriors could reliably hold aggro with a pair of Langseax. That's because *everyone else sucked too*. People were half naked wielding things like magician summoned weaps etc and there is a 100 hate bonus for being in melee range.
Old 11-05-2019, 08:10 AM
Orc

So like two nights ago I was tanking orcs as a Paladin in Highpass Hold and had a rogue in my group doing pretty sizable backstabs. Each time he did he would pull off of me and I would have to use a second flash of light. Couple more backstabs later I would need to use another flash of light.

How would a warrior continue tanking that orc in that situation? I dont understand how warriors can do enough threat to tank. I could barely do it with flash of light. Just asking how things work because everyone I have ever talked to or read about indicates warriors are the best tanks.
Old 11-05-2019, 09:19 AM
Planar Protector

Warriors generate way more swing aggro than paladins. Also the rogue would have to tank some/backstab less.

Warriors also desire the main tank mob to be rooted; that way they can keep aggro by standing closest.

Even better for a warrior is the MT target to be rooted (allowing tippy toe tank) and then someone cast a high aggro spell like slow (the warrior then gets 30 seconds of root tippy toe tanking to try taunt up over the slow aggro, using that succesful taunt as a piggyback to greatly surpass the aggro of other melee).
Old 11-05-2019, 11:00 AM
Sarnak

Part of it is weapon skills, too.

We had a group with 3 warriors (yeah, 3 warriors. It was everfrost) Highest level had two one-handers, other two were using 2H.

One of the 2H-using warriors kept pulling aggro. I inquired politely what was going on: Turns out highest level warrior's 1hb sucked and she was using one as primary. As her skill improved, the situation did get better.

Still - don't train weapon skills as MT, kids.
Old 11-05-2019, 12:27 PM
Orc

Interesting. Guess I just dont understand. Why have a warrior if they have to have someone root the mob they are tanking. If they cant out threat everyone else, what good would rooting it be? Rooted mob has monk rogue and warrior in melee. the mob is still going to attack whoever of those three is at the top of the list right? So if the warrior is having trouble getting and staying at the top of the list, its going to attack the rogue or monk.

I feel like the root thing is only going to stop the mob from attacking ranged players at the top of the list but doesnt quite fix the problem of low threat generation warriors.

I do understand that rogues/dps need to chillax and let the warrior build threat. Thats a player skill/choice issue not mechanic system.

At what point does warrior auto attack (dual wield, double/triple attack, crit) and kicking start to overcome paladins flash/stuns threat wise? If it was an issue of dps has to not begin attacking for 15 seconds or so the warrior can build up to the same amount a paladin could cause with a flash/stun i guess i would understand that but that seems unrealistic in practice?
Last edited by apprentice04; 11-05-2019 at 12:29 PM..
Old 11-05-2019, 01:17 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by apprentice04 [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Guess I just dont understand. ... Rooted mob has monk rogue and warrior in melee. the mob is still going to attack whoever of those three is at the top of the list right?
No, hate only applies if the mob is not rooted. Otherwise it will attack the closest PC.

The MT needs to stand toe to toe with the rooted mob. It is the MTs job to move up and keep face to face. It is the group leaders job to warn and ultimately kick anyone getting hit consistently.

https://wiki.project1999.com/A_Rogue...gro#Root_Aggro
Old 11-05-2019, 01:26 PM
Planar Protector

Rooted mobs attack whoever is closest. So root, and MT stands 1mm away from mob, while pokey poke and crushy crush stand 1 foot away.

A warrior will never win in an aggro contest with a knight actively casting spells.
Closed Thread