Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Server Issues > Bugs

Old 11-15-2010, 02:24 PM
Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darklake [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
That's ringing a bell - didn't arrows also act like that? I'm sure I remember as a baby ranger in GFay missing a bat and hitting a guard instead.

Might just be old age playing tricks with my memory :-)
I thought I remembered arrows doing something like that. I cannot remember though.

Haynar
Old 11-15-2010, 02:26 PM
Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by nilbog [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
This is how it looked on live.

[You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
[You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]

Bolts are a work in progress. I don't think the spell particle is correct yet.
I have been unable to find the right texture for the bolt. It may be broken in this client. The texture that should have worked, didnt. I remember for awhile on live, that I saw no missile, just a delay. I don't remember the time frame though.

Haynar
Old 11-15-2010, 02:37 PM
Aviak

Ah, that's interesting. This is my first time playing a mage but come to think of it, I do remember seeing what I thought were graphics glitches (aka the bolts) flying through the sky.

I understand that it's a WIP, I just remembering doing a huge WTF? when I casted my lvl 24 bolt at Travis Two-Tone and saw this red orb slowly move toward him. I literally had my mouth drop open. It was quite hilarious.
Old 11-15-2010, 02:43 PM
Scrawny Gnoll

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darklake [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
That's ringing a bell - didn't arrows also act like that? I'm sure I remember as a baby ranger in GFay missing a bat and hitting a guard instead.

Might just be old age playing tricks with my memory :-)
I know this was at least true for pvp in arenas. Any projectile thrown and hit a player in front of the target worked. But I never played a class that regularly used archery/throwing so I can't be sure about pve.
Old 11-15-2010, 03:29 PM
Kobold

Quote:
Originally Posted by nilbog [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I played a mage a good bit on live. Here's what I remember

Originally bolts didn't even require a target. You could face a direction, and cast. From what I recall it would even hit npcs that moved in its path, thus creating aggro that wasn't your original intent. Also, if it was chasing an npc target, if one got in its path, it would hit it and never reach your intended target. If following a target, it would go on forever until it hit something, including its targets corpse, if they died before it got to them.

I think it did need some type of conic radius to start chasing a target. As in you couldn't be facing opposite your target, but you also didn't need to be lined up exactly with them. I remember the Z axis double nuke as well. If levitating, and very close to the target, it would sometimes hit twice.
All of that sounds correct to me.

Formerly:
Imagin Uhaveclarity - Level 67 Gnome Enchanter, Innoruuk (Shortly after Kunark to a couple months before Luclin, back again around LDON through OOW)
Tegeril Whitewolf - Level 52 Wood Elf Druid, Innoruuk (Opening of Innoruuk - half of Kunark)
Old 11-15-2010, 04:30 PM
Scrawny Gnoll

I was disappointed when I tried out my only Bolt spell as a wizard (Level 8: Fire Bolt) and found it did not have the changes [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Old 11-15-2010, 04:33 PM
Planar Protector

I think that old Everquest alpha video on Youtube shows what a bold spell used to look like.

edit: pre-alpha

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5ae-1KuAvMY

bolt spell at 0:40
Old 11-15-2010, 05:31 PM
Kobold

Those character models/run animations were so awesome.

Formerly:
Imagin Uhaveclarity - Level 67 Gnome Enchanter, Innoruuk (Shortly after Kunark to a couple months before Luclin, back again around LDON through OOW)
Tegeril Whitewolf - Level 52 Wood Elf Druid, Innoruuk (Opening of Innoruuk - half of Kunark)
Old 11-16-2010, 04:35 AM
Sarnak

- Indeed, without a target or targetting yourself, bolts would flight straight ahead, but I don't remember it was aggroing anything crossing the line of shoot (I remember trying over and over to get it to hit something in orc highway).

- Landscape but not the players would "destroy" the bolt on hit.

- Bolts were a tiny bit faster than what their current speed is.

- Bolts for magicians at least looked like a fire (for the color) flare.
Kaska, Phantasmist <Divinity>
Fuam, Druid 57 <Divinity>
Willo, Cleric 54 <Divinity>
Last edited by finalgrunt; 11-16-2010 at 04:41 AM..
Old 11-16-2010, 04:54 AM
Sarnak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haynar [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I thought I remembered arrows doing something like that. I cannot remember though.

Haynar
The big problem with arrows, other players could block your shot. You had to have an open path between you and the target.