Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Blue Community > Blue Server Chat

Closed Thread

Old 06-29-2010, 07:51 AM
Orc

Default Hi, just my two cents about the server and PVP-

Hello. Being that it's my first post, let me say what a good job I think the SysOPs have done with the game, I never expected a server so well-run with such a large population.

My PVP experience on Everquest is limited to Discord, which was an eq classic ffa pvp server (ding 6 you are fair game, FFA) but what made the server great, and what also killed it though was it's ruleset. When you'd die here, you'd get reset to level one, doesn't matter if you were PK'd or a mob killed you, one guildy I knew fell through the world in Ak Anon (was either greyrage or awakened) and he got reset to lvl 1. That was some serious nerdrage in teamspeak when that happened, you wouldn't imagine the kind of nerdrage that emerges from permadeath eqclassic experiences. Two things that illustrate it, I feel are the cursing and the silence. There's silence, then cursing. Then more silence, then more cursing, etc.

Which is why so many people left that server after the first and second week.

But let me tell you, that first and second week was intense. Every newbie area filled with people. I'm talking 40, 50, 60 people in every newbie zone. Fresh 6's getting hit by pain and suffering at the zoneline who didn't realize at 6 they became fair game, and decided to group with this level 7 who 'Seemed like a nice fellow player' only when you zone out of the city, the same guy stabs you in the back, and loots your corpse. At level six you become pvp active, people who weren't in guilds were dinging 6 and dying instantly by people watching them level up from afar. Crushbone was a good place to go kill newbs, I managed to get a Wizard up to 33 and got PK'd by a Beastlord right outside Crushbone. When that character got reset I leveled a Magician to 34.
All gnomes. Loot all, and a 2x xp bonus, so leveling wasn't particularly horrible. It's really a shame, it was the most fun I've ever had with an MMORPG. Yet, I know if someone made something like it today, the population would be weak. GM Events with a PVP theme would be interesting, it would be nice to see Gnomes teaming up vs Humans. Dark Elves killing gnomes.

-Frighteous
11 Troll Shadowknight
Last edited by Frighteous; 06-29-2010 at 07:54 AM..
Old 06-29-2010, 10:02 AM
Banned

Well it seems like everyone is trying to come up with ways to change the current server rules to come up with a way that pvp will work. Even making it so blues became red for 5 minutes would be exploited like mentioned above. It wouldn't work. Trying to come up with ideas or rules to make pvp work is just dreaming, it will never actually be implemented.

There could be some interesting PvP if there was an organized guild that turned red with the current rules. As long as they were organized and self sufficient enough to not need to group outside of their guild, it would work. Like I mentioned earlier this would force loyalty to the guild... and if there ever happened to be another red guild out there it would be a ton of fun.

This allows the blues to be blues, and not interfere with any of the Red pvp. They could coexist. If a blue and a red were at the same camp, they would follow server camping rules. If a red met another red, they could fight over it.

Even if there was only 1 red guild the guild would be able to have some creative fun guild events within the guild.

The only thing that might need to be implemented are some guidelines on pvp etiquette like not returning to a pvp fight for 30 minutes after death, or having to leave the zone after death. This could be enforced as current camping/raiding rules are enforced.
Old 06-29-2010, 10:25 AM
Fire Giant

Who wants to start a guild of red alts with me?
Old 06-29-2010, 01:50 PM
Orc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phallax [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
To easy to abuse as a blue healer, unless the "turn red for 5mins after healing/buffing a red" option was in effect.
I played on Tallon Zek for years, which was a pvp teams server that wouldn't allow players to attack others +/-7 levels from their own (a lv14 could attack a lv7 but not a lv6).

It sounds like an easy system to exploit. Just bring a higher level with you to heal while you killed others, but in reality, this rarely happened. It takes the fun out of it. The point of pvp is to have fun, challenging, random battles against other players. This helps to break up the monotony of just killing mindless mobs all the time.
Old 06-29-2010, 01:58 PM
Fire Giant

Quote:
Originally Posted by azxten [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Even then imagine a complete heal landing on someone and turning the healer red, not gonna matter much after a long fight where you're almost dead.
Could make it like a NO DROP loot window. A window pops before you actually cast, warning that if you heal this person you will be flagged for PvP and you are flagged as soon as the Heal/Buff is started to be casted. This gives the opponent time to interupt the heal.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Braelyn [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I played on Tallon Zek for years, which was a pvp teams server that wouldn't allow players to attack others +/-7 levels from their own (a lv14 could attack a lv7 but not a lv6).

It sounds like an easy system to exploit. Just bring a higher level with you to heal while you killed others, but in reality, this rarely happened. It takes the fun out of it. The point of pvp is to have fun, challenging, random battles against other players. This helps to break up the monotony of just killing mindless mobs all the time.
You still have blue griefers that do it out of spite tho.
Last edited by Phallax; 06-29-2010 at 02:41 PM..
Old 06-29-2010, 02:14 PM
Orc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phallax [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Could make it like a NO DROP loot window. A window pops before you actually cast, warning that if you heal this person you will be flagged for PvP and you are flagged as soon as the Heal/Buff is started to be casted. This gives the opponent time to interupt the heal.

QUOTE=Braelyn;87539]I played on Tallon Zek for years, which was a pvp teams server that wouldn't allow players to attack others +/-7 levels from their own (a lv14 could attack a lv7 but not a lv6).

You still have blue griefers that do it out of spite tho.[/QUOTE]

I'm not denying it doesn't happen. It does, but my point was it doesn't happen as much as you think. If people are worried about that happening to them, they shouldn't go red. That's the beauty of choice.
Old 06-29-2010, 02:19 PM
Sarnak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haynar [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
As much whining, etc., goes on concerning named in PoHate, Fear, Solb, etc., I always thought the solution for when 2 or 3 guilds start bitchin about who got 15 first ... who should get the named ... blah, no we had 15 first, the account I was boxing .... err, my brother went LD, then we had 14 when you looked ... blah blah ... Abacab was training us .... the corpse poofed ... oh he ninja looted ... blah blah blah.

Solution ... toggle PVP on for the zone. You die, you cannot zone back in for 30 minutes.

There, problem solved.

Damn, someone must have put piss and vinegar in my drink tonight.

Haynar
Sounds like a great solution. I came from Rallos Zek server and we never had the problems and bitchfests I've seen on these carebear servers. And people didn't bitch about getting PK'd unless they were scrubs that sucked. You either:

A) Moved on with your life
B) Got revenge
C) Ragequit

Whiners were pretty much forced into option C for the most part. It worked out very well for everyone.
Old 06-29-2010, 02:34 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Braelyn [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]

Just the thought of allowing people too scared to turn on PvP themselves have any type of influence on PvP makes me cringe. Blues cannot be allowed to heal/buff a red at anytime. If you just give them a timer of 5 minutes then they can intervene when it is convenient and then not have to watch their back like all the reds that have the balls to deal with the consequences of PvP. If I saw one blue in planar gear following a red healing them I would probably just rage/nerd quit and delete my red char.

With that said someone that plays 40+ hours a week, has enough eq friends, pull, and resources to keep a red guild for alts going needs to start one up, because that man is not me.
Old 06-29-2010, 02:36 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by HippoNipple [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Just the thought of allowing people too scared to turn on PvP themselves have any type of influence on PvP makes me cringe. Blues cannot be allowed to heal/buff a red at anytime. If you just give them a timer of 5 minutes then they can intervene when it is convenient and then not have to watch their back like all the reds that have the balls to deal with the consequences of PvP. If I saw one blue in planar gear following a red healing them I would probably just rage/nerd quit and delete my red char.

With that said someone that plays 40+ hours a week, has enough eq friends, pull, and resources to keep a red guild for alts going needs to start one up, because that man is not me.
Right, thats the solution right there. You cant participate in PVP unless you turn the flag on at the priest of dischord.
Old 06-29-2010, 02:41 PM
Fire Giant

Guild wars were always fun. I was an advocate for getting my guild to get involved in battles. We were on Brell, the self proclaimed "role player" server, so it was easy to convince folks to fight when you would roleplay good vs an evil. It was our duty to cleanse the world of their evil. We still had our share of people complaining who just wanted to grind exp and get phat loot, but we had enough people who were sick of the day to day crap to join in on our wars. Some folks even left the guild after guild wars were started. They'd ask, "Why have a war?" My answer, "For fun!" We even had an arch rival guild.

We used to meet weekly at the Arena for duels and practice. I had a completely different set of gear for pvp, every piece of resist gear I could get my hands on. Nothing like seeing the "you have resisted..." message in the window followed by that cracking bone sound of hitting a caster really hard. Ah, memories.

If I had more time I'd be up for some battles. It's really not all that fun from an "I have 1 night a week to play" perspective. When you have infinite time to gather equipment, it's so much better [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]

"Life's short and hard like a body building elf."
Closed Thread