Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Blue Community > Blue Server Chat

Closed Thread

Old 01-26-2018, 10:16 AM
Kobold

Default Question about Summoning Mobs

Hello everyone,

I'm wondering how does "Summon" works with casters/pet PCs. Is it possible to keep some range with a summoning mob? I guess kite would not work, but what about pets? I know a mob will always attack a PC over a pet if the PC is in melee range. Now, let's say a mage and his pet are fighting a mob. The pet has the higher aggro, but would the summoning capacity make the mage in "melee range", therefore transfering aggro to the mage?

Is it advisable for a caster solo/duo (with a druid) to even consider killing summoning mobs?

Thanks!

RED
Xeptna Stargaze, Evoker of the 52nd Solstice
Skraaa Katau, Shaman of the 39th Season
Ashnod the Uncaring, Cleric of the 36th Sacrifice
Old 01-26-2018, 10:28 AM
Planar Protector

mobs are generally level 50+ and they have to be below max hp (98-99%) to start summoning as a general rule. (may not apply to bosses)
Players are always summoned over pets in my experience.
Just adding this off the top of my head, may not be directly in response to your questions.
Told this to Rogean, Nilbog & Menden.
Last edited by Baler; 01-26-2018 at 10:30 AM..
Old 01-26-2018, 11:04 AM
Sarnak

Mage doesn't have a lot of options when it comes to summoning mobs. You'll want to either slow/tank most summoner mobs, or fear them if they can be feared. Mage + druid can't do either of those well I'm afraid. Find a necro or chanter buddy though, and you'll have a lot more options.
Old 01-26-2018, 11:06 AM
Kobold

This answers my question perfectly. Thanks!

RED
Old 01-26-2018, 11:24 AM
Kobold

So a good strategy would be to send my pet, while druid heals and we start dotting/nuking not too soon?

If I understand what you say, me or my friend being summoned would be the same as the mob turning away from my pet to run to us (say for example if we nuke too hard when my pet doesn't have enough aggro). In this case, the only added difficulty would be that we could not count on SoW/snare/pet root to be safe if we ever get aggro (since the mob summons), and that the mob might hit pretty hard, if he is high enough to summon.

Am I correct in my understanding?

Also, I want to believe what you say, but I feel it goes against what the two other posters said. Has anyone tried it in person?

RED
Old 01-26-2018, 02:08 PM
Sarnak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daldaen [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Mobs 51+ on P99 generally will summon. All mobs that summon begin doing so at 96% HP on P99.

They summon the top target on their hatelist. If a pet is top of the hatelist the pet will be summoned over the player. Typically pets and players are both in Melee range and if a pet is top in this scenario it will turn to the highest PC in Melee range. It should not however summon the highest PC if they are out of Melee range. For example if a pet is at 10,000 Hate, Shaman is at 9,000 and out of Melee range and a Monk is at 7,000 in Melee range, the mob should turn to attack the monk. In the event the pet dies, the mob will then summon the Shaman.

This is all current. As P99 is ever progressing expect this to change whenever they code in classic proximity aggro bonuses which will shift things a bit.
You sure about that Daldaen? My experience aligns more with what Baler said. I don't have parses/logs or anything to prove that mechanic, but just my own dabbling with soloing some lower-level summoners in Skyfire etc. Seems like no matter what I do with my necro (FD off the agro, etc.) I still will get summoned the instant fear breaks. Again, just anecdotal evidence.
Old 01-26-2018, 02:44 PM
Planar Protector

Mobs will only summon pet owner if their aggro is over the pet (when caster is outside of melee range).

It 100% works this way or else like 95% of phinny kills wouldnt happen as mages / necros just chain pets on it from across the room.
Old 01-26-2018, 03:14 PM
Planar Protector

My experience is that if the pet is the top of the hate list, it will be summoned. One exception is if you root the mob:
-Charmed pet and mob are fighting, pet has the most agro
-Pet breaks and you recharm, pet has no agro and you are top of hate list, mob is chasing you
-Root the mob, mob stops chasing you and will attack the pet if you are out of melee range, BUT the mob will still summon you until the pet gains more agro than you
-If root breaks before the pet gains more agro than you, the mob will resume chasing you
-If root breaks after the pet gains more agro than you, the mob will stand in place and continue fighting the pet

That applies specifically to the mobs at A4 in PoM and fighting them solo with a charmed pet, including one lvl 60 mob. I've noticed varying behavior with regard to pets and mobs fleeing which may depend on the mob/pet levels and/or the mob/pet HP as well as the mob itself.
Old 01-26-2018, 03:57 PM
Fire Giant

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBlob [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
So a good strategy would be to send my pet, while druid heals and we start dotting/nuking not too soon?
The best option is to find a second Mage and both of you do nothing except chain summon the level 49 Earth Pet. Neither of you will get summoned using this method, and it is the way Phinny is killed in 99.99% of the time. Your Druid friend can just sit outside the fight other than having evac ready in case shit hits the fan.
Last edited by Sage Truthbearer; 01-26-2018 at 04:00 PM..
Old 01-26-2018, 08:04 PM
Kobold

Sage you mentioned the 49 earth pet over the 51 one. Is there a reason for this? Also, you say "get a second mage". Are you saying that 2 mages level 49 can duo Phinigel by chain petting? Or are you just refering to the general method?

I heard about this technique (for Phinigel) for some time now, and I was always wondering, how many mages/necros are needed for Phiny, and what level? Is a monk necessary to pull, and enchanter to mez, etc.?

RED
Closed Thread