Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Blue Community > Blue Server Chat

View Poll Results: Is variance still needed?
Yes, it promotes "competition" 75 29.18%
No, its an unneccesary non-classic time sink 182 70.82%
Voters: 257. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 12-17-2009, 09:42 PM
Sarnak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhongomyniad [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I suggest you ask yourself which mob a mana drain wand is used on when it is at 50%.
^ this
Old 12-18-2009, 04:58 AM
Fire Giant

So what if spawn variance favors the guild with more people and who plays more. This is everquest, that is what is supposed to happen.

Randomizing spawn timers is really the only way to fix this problem which all raiding games face, aside from instancing.
Old 12-18-2009, 06:05 AM
Aviak

Completely unbiased opinion here.

This is a case of GMs stepping into an area they don't have cause to...yet. Unless someone can give me an example of why this was necessary that involves either guild doing something against the rules to get a spawn GMs have absolutely no business enforcing a raid schedule between guilds. Even if training or whatnot is involved it has to be an extremely serious situation for a GM to even consider doing such a thing.

People can complain all they want about competition for spawns, this is Everquest, deal with it. Let the players play FFS.

Post Edit thought: The ONLY time a GM should have any say on the claim of a spawn is when there are two or more actual guilds IN FORCE competing for it, right there on the spot. For a GM to mandate the spawns for the entire server is lunacy.
Last edited by Rifter; 12-18-2009 at 06:09 AM..
Old 12-18-2009, 09:18 AM
Scrawny Gnoll

Agreed, agreed, agreed.

This server is named project1999. PLEASE hold to that vision.

GMs should never be dictating rights to mobs before they've spawned- it kills the rush to mobilize, it kills the competitive nature raid guilds thrive on. Any system that awards the claim to a raid mob in advance is NOT Everquest, and it's not appealing to someone who plays here looking for a classic experience.

All of these posts about alternate systems need to be scrapped. The GM staff of this server needs to take a step back and ask themselves why they're so determined to undermine the work of the developers.
Last edited by Matrim; 12-18-2009 at 09:23 AM..
Old 12-18-2009, 09:53 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deanob [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Don't be Coy Rhongomyniad. We all know that convo was while you were in Pof with us camping the temple... Why exactly do you need a KS group in a plane with another guild inhabiting it?
Yeah that was obviously Vox, big guy.
Old 12-18-2009, 10:39 AM
Large Bat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matrim [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
it's not appealing to someone who plays here looking for a classic experience.
What was the first thing you thought of when you discovered an emulator attempting to recreate a classic everquest environment? Guild bickering and drama associated with raid mob rights? Kill stealing, intentional training, and loot mongering?

I doubt it.

I bet the first thoughts into your mind were "Wow I remember that! I can remake my old Dwarf Paladin and camp in Crushbone for a SBS! Unrest was so awesome, I hope I can find a group there to go into THE BASEMENT! I'll get to do the Soulfire quest! Lower Guk? Yea I remember that crazy place! Oh wait, there were dragons too, I'd really like to do that again. Never went to Plane of Fear when I played on Live, I bet that would be a fun experience." And so on and so on.

I really doubt most people were thinking about how they'd love to sit and watch as one (or maybe two) top guild take all the fun content. People came to enjoy the content of the game, not its side effects.
Old 12-18-2009, 10:51 AM
Scrawny Gnoll

Actually, I did that all on live, and I've been doing it again on other emulated servers. The thing those other servers lack (with the possible exception of VZTZ's hackfest), and the best* part of eq for me: competitive raiding.

So, in short- you're wrong.

This server is about recreating the EQlive experience during this era- or at least that's the impression I was given through word-of-mouth, the website, and the forum. A lot* of effort has been put into reproducing every minute detail of this game, down to drops that were only in briefly and then never again. Changing something as fundamental and essential to the makeup of the game as the right for players to compete for every raid mob undermines that effort at epic levels.

I don't want to have to log into a forum to determine which raid mob I'm allowed to kill in game this week. I don't want a GM entering the zone, ruining EQ's amazing level of immersion, and dictating to guilds to leave the zone until next week.

EQ in this era through Velious is closer to perfection than any mmo I've ever played- and I've played every major mmo for the past decade. Many other emulated servers have tried to alter and improve upon it- they have ALL failed without a single exception. Please, do not make the same mistake here. Hold to Verant's vision. Let players raid as we did on live during this era.
Last edited by Matrim; 12-18-2009 at 11:11 AM..
Old 12-18-2009, 11:08 AM
Planar Protector

Let me start by saying that I agree that zones should not be reserved for certain guilds on certain days.
Let me follow that up by saying that boss rotation between 2 guilds is a win win situation that you should take while the taking is good.
As I have said before, enjoy the fact that there are only 2 of you right now because that's not going to last much longer.

You have it so good you don't even realize!!! You have very little competition and access to every single great item in the game right now. Chances are your very existence will slow the progress of other guilds as anyone who reaches 50 will jump ship from their "family guilds" to join yours. I have seen this happen time and time again on live. Stop crying and this goes for both guilds.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matrim [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Actually, I did that all on live, and I've been doing it again on other emulated servers. The thing those other servers lack (with the possible exception of VZTZ's hackfest), and the best* part of eq for me: competitive raiding.

So, in short- you're wrong.

See, this is what I get hung up on.
Raiding is all about working together as a team to overcome extremely difficult encounters. Now if it's a race to be the first on the server to do something... well then we are too late for that with the existing bosses.

What's the competition now exactly??? To down a boss ten times while the other guild only downed it 5 times? To have 6 people in your guild owning a rare item as opposed to just 3 people in the opposing guild?

What am I missing? Everyone seems to be bragging on how easily bosses are being killed with much fewer players than was ever attempted back in 1999. So we know the loot obviously isn't essential for success, at least not at this point.

So I ask again, what exactly is the competition, other than greed? What have you to prove? That you can run to a zone faster than the other team? That you kill the mob faster? That's pretty lame...
Last edited by guineapig; 12-18-2009 at 11:15 AM..
Old 12-18-2009, 11:17 AM
Scrawny Gnoll

Lame or not- that's Everquest as Verant intended. Many of us love it.
Old 12-18-2009, 11:56 AM
Planar Protector

You guys are really tools.

You seem to think that this server is EXACTLY like Everquest was when it was first released and the fact is that it is not.

The server population is LIMITED as are the total number of similar servers. In addition the GMs/Devs have taken a more active and interested role in what is going on with the server.

You have it in your head that a FFA first come first serve is the BEST solution for how to hand raid content and as it has already been seen IT ISNT. You think that other guilds will stand by and let you just take whatever you want without a fight and DRAMA?

You are a bigger moron than i thought possible.
Closed Thread