Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > General Community > Rants and Flames

Closed Thread

Old 05-31-2020, 03:27 AM
Planar Protector

Default What does velious actually add?

Lots of ice? Massive faction grinds? Different giant models? +100 hpmana's?

I've dug around in Velious a bit, but I feel like outside of Tofs and crystal caverns it offers very little actual exploration and lore. I feel like in just greeting the trade commissioner in Shadowhaven and running out towards the echo caverns and fungus grove to help out some struggling street vendors. In one Luclin quest I have already uncovered more lore and mystery than the entire velios expac provided.

Velious feels more like a wow expac. New stuff. Much "progression".

In classic we get the fresh exposition of a new world, many cities, evil gods. Evil dragons. And a lot of crazy wizards who are after what got the goblins and giants in trouble.

Kunark has the ring of scale scheming behind the scenes. The discovery of the old Iksar empire. And the really bad dudes, Venril Sathir playing the evil side against the others.

Velious adds.. the dragons are still dicks, but bigger dicks with more loot.

Luclin adds a whole new world with a variation on the fantasy motif. Vampires. Three really cool human factions. The very end game Vex Thal is a bit of a let down, but in exploring Katta, Seru, Shadowhaven we get to see three very different paths for humanity. None black and white given what the original group of combined faces when stranded. Not only that, But it's the mysterious combine empire shattered in 3rds. Norraths living history, it's roots, in a glass bottle. Which is probably why the moon has a savage, barbaric, prehistoric feel. The Vah Shir force the players to confront an idealized nonhuman, less anthropomorphic society and species. And are a great juxtaposition to counter and mirror the rest of the content. They are the true heroes.
Old 05-31-2020, 05:16 AM
Planar Protector

The best thing about Velious is the sign for the boat in Erudin.

The most valiant thing about Velious was how it was designed to be a sump for the pixel addicts, freeing up the rest of the server space for role play and adventure in exciting locations like Tofs. Sadly Brad underestimated the pixel sickness and over estimated the emergent RP so our experiment in reconstructive archaeology has resulted in wall staring race lines instead of merry SS crawls.
Old 05-31-2020, 05:18 AM
Planar Protector

I didn’t pay for velious on release cos having an entire the two zones of everfrost’s giants and permafrost’s dragon spread across a whole continent seemed lazy.
Old 05-31-2020, 05:30 AM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimjam [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I didn’t pay for velious on release cos having an entire the two zones of everfrost’s giants and permafrost’s dragon spread across a whole continent seemed lazy.
Twas my impression too, alas, I was a spoiled wealthy kid with a $15 an hour job. I just handed Verant my money. I think iceclad was fun but then I definitely got less immersed once I saw GD EW and WE where essentially the same giant loot grazing plains.

Skyshrine,WL, cobalt scar, and sirens grotto are cool. They're more like dungeons though. They offer loot. Some limited exploration. Not a ton of lore.

Maybe if I had started bedecked in planar I would have cared, still not though. I only ever spent DKP on a fear plane wizzy robe.
Old 05-31-2020, 07:02 AM
Aviak

There's books of lore located in Thurgadin library if you're interested in the dwarves. velious lore was primarily (as i don't have any behind the scenes knowledge) focused on the Sleeper and the story behind it. You'll hear Jaled'dar whinging and moaning about the poor sleeper and why it was a mistake for the head dragons (i guess?) to imprison the beast. I suggest if you're looking -- look in that direction.

It is indeed too bad the 3 factions didn't flesh out, even though there's plenty of quests dealing with random nonsense. I haven't found a vendor in skyshrine that sells lore books like the library in thurgadin but i haven't looked all that hard either.

Also, Velious brought us the ring event mechanics that started the evolution of raids (god knows what they look like now). Also, while i've not done it, i think there's plenty to be learned by doing the final shawl quest that's unavailable in our timeline.

What velious really is missing is the Strange Clicky Items like the SoW katana, or a manna robe/mana stone and things along those lines.
Old 05-31-2020, 07:59 AM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by roks1 [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
There's books of lore located in Thurgadin library if you're interested in the dwarves. velious lore was primarily (as i don't have any behind the scenes knowledge) focused on the Sleeper and the story behind it. You'll hear Jaled'dar whinging and moaning about the poor sleeper and why it was a mistake for the head dragons (i guess?) to imprison the beast. I suggest if you're looking -- look in that direction.

It is indeed too bad the 3 factions didn't flesh out, even though there's plenty of quests dealing with random nonsense. I haven't found a vendor in skyshrine that sells lore books like the library in thurgadin but i haven't looked all that hard either.

Also, Velious brought us the ring event mechanics that started the evolution of raids (god knows what they look like now). Also, while i've not done it, i think there's plenty to be learned by doing the final shawl quest that's unavailable in our timeline.

What velious really is missing is the Strange Clicky Items like the SoW katana, or a manna robe/mana stone and things along those lines.
Wizards got a pretty good clicky robe from velious so they don't need a manastone for norrmal gameplay anymore pretty much. IMO.

Yeah, I need to go talk to the damn dwarves, ugh... I hate them [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]

Actually, I want to faction for the giants and listen to them, they probably have the coolest story.

There was a lot of room for orcs and dwarven story lines. And there's those tizmaks and kodiaks, wouldn't it have been cool if you found out they were the decendents of some werewolf line, or something, the tizmaks are essentially velious minos.

I think velious was somewhat a response to "OMG we are going to get sued for naming this mob a gnoll, lets put some stuff in we can point to and say look we didn't blatantly plagurize..."... I think the people behind writing for EQ got a bit better by 2002.5-3 too.
Old 05-31-2020, 08:24 AM
Planar Protector

“Is it not that life is but a series of battles?”

Them giants have profound moments.
Old 05-31-2020, 08:33 AM
Planar Protector

Red face

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimjam [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
“Is it not that life is but a series of battles?”

Them giants have profound moments.
I'm sure they have their in groups and out groups I wonder what they feel about their exile to Velious? Why they are still so dedicated to their god Rallos Zek after he basically encouraged them to do something like invading the homes of the other gods to get 90% of their population to be neutered? Do they have a favorite cuisine or are they basically like ogres and trolls in that regard? What do they think they are going to get for fighting the dragons other than world domination and better loot? Or is there a reason, maybe a more altruistic one for them to 'end the dragon threat once and for all'.... Do they remember the other giants and their lands at all? Are they trying to cure any of them? Do they care about their fire giant brothers still slaving away in the mines of Solusek. Would they invade the planes again? Why are there no giants on the moon of Luclin? Have the giants traveled to other worlds, I mean they were basically planes walkers with armies to defy the gods... [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]

Big questions could be asked and there could be a myriad of interesting answers.
Old 05-31-2020, 08:54 AM
Planar Protector

Everquest seems an IP designed to raise questions and invites the player to fill out the answers.

Perhaps that is why Michael’s Mysteries are so popular?

As to cuisine, that is answered in game by the food vendors.

It’s a real shame you can’t have a conversation with Derakor the Vindicator. It would be nice if perhaps he shouted his twisted rantings for the zone to hear.

They seem to regard the children of Veeshan as vermin, quite rightly, and you are right there are so many questions raised that I would love detailed.

Michael, Shenanigan a video of the true children of zek!
Old 05-31-2020, 09:30 AM
Planar Protector

I do think Kunark is the Creme dele creme of the classic era. Velious feels more like a booster pack of content than a full expansion in the way kunark was.
Told this to Rogean, Nilbog & Menden.
Closed Thread