Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > General Community > Rants and Flames

Closed Thread

Old 02-26-2010, 11:37 AM
Fire Giant

Quote:
Originally Posted by douglas1999 [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
No they recieve that acclaim and respect because they wrote pretty much objectively good music for their entire career. I hate it when people try to get all academic about the beatles with the whole "No but you see it is WHEN they played their music that was so special!! The sixties and stuff!!". Are you even listening to the songs? They're good because they're GOOD. Those albums would still be extremely popular if released today or any other decade post-1960.

Derail err day.
We'll have to agree to disagree. Don't get me wrong, a lot of The Beatles music was amazing... but a lot of it was also thoughtless pop bullshit. I do not think they would be any where near as popular today. I do like The Beatles (although I'm honestly more of a Stones guy), but you can't say that their musical talent alone was their key to their success.

Anyways, yea, done derailing this thread.
Old 02-26-2010, 05:34 PM
Decaying Skeleton

Quote:
Originally Posted by Secrets [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
There's been a big divide because EQ Live is not the same game it was, and minor overhauls will not fix the game in its current state. Community is what made EQ.

Bottom line is: Major overhauls already happened to EQLive, they can't be reversed without losing customers, so we did it for them.
I understand the aversion everyone has to letting EQ pander to the casual gamer, but having not played EQ harcore back in the day makes it harder for me to appreciate some of the more profoundly unfun aspects of the game, I guess. Anyway, my reasons were more cynical and I'm glad others have stated otherwise.

As for the side-thread, not so sure about the Beatles analogy, but that's a great topic too and a lot people seem to think that they were shit (http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/8246313.stm).
Old 02-26-2010, 07:38 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loke [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
We'll have to agree to disagree. Don't get me wrong, a lot of The Beatles music was amazing... but a lot of it was also thoughtless pop bullshit. I do not think they would be any where near as popular today. I do like The Beatles (although I'm honestly more of a Stones guy), but you can't say that their musical talent alone was their key to their success.

Anyways, yea, done derailing this thread.
I can't believe you're actually trying to take a position that The Beatles were anything but consummate musicians throughout their multifaceted career, consistently producing high quality albums with both commercial appeal and musical intricacy sufficient to interest even the most discriminating of musical critics. I can't tell if you're playing the devil's advocate or if your personal dislike of the music on a given track or album is coloring your better judgment, but in whichever case I beg you to desist in this escapade of foolishness on which you have embarked.

:P

Edit: I don't really like The Beatles. ..just saying..
Old 02-27-2010, 04:37 PM
Planar Protector

Classic EQ > Beatles.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sirken View Post
if your reason to be here is to ruin other peoples experiences and grief them off the server, then not only do you not deserve the privilege of playing here, but i will remove your ability to do so.
Old 02-27-2010, 05:25 PM
Orc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abacab [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Well, in that same breathe I could say the Beatles are quite overrated, cause any stoner, hippie, trendite, and indiefuck will listen to them just to seem .2% edgier and elite.
fail

(btw, im not a "stoner" "hippie" "trendite" or "indiefuck" and a band i may or may not listen to doesn't make me feel elite pffff....)
Old 02-27-2010, 05:29 PM
Orc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loke [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
but a lot of it was also thoughtless pop bullshit. I do not think they would be any where near as popular today.
lol you say this as if the vast majority of today's radio play is NOT thoughtless pop bullshit.
Old 02-27-2010, 08:43 PM
Aviak

Ask almost any musician in the last 50 years who their influences were and odds are that they will say the Beatles. Anyone who thinks that they were anything less than world changing musicians is sticking their head in the sand.

Unless of course you only dig music pre-beatles. Then by all means.
Old 03-01-2010, 05:18 PM
Scrawny Gnoll

Quote:
Originally Posted by stayne [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Even though you edited your post, the subject gives me enough to go on.

Everquest is to current MMOs as classic muscle cars are to new cars. They just don't make them like they used to. Too many bells and whistles in new MMOs.

Uh ok. I need more beer.
that was brilliant. i second that.
Old 03-02-2010, 01:55 AM
Large Rat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghesta [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Ask almost any musician in the last 50 years who their influences were and odds are that they will say the Beatles. Anyone who thinks that they were anything less than world changing musicians is sticking their head in the sand.

Unless of course you only dig music pre-beatles. Then by all means.
Music has never changed, only we have. Popular music is popular because a lot of people get enjoyment from listening to it. Granted there are acquired tastes, and the commercialization of music makes it so that a lot of pop is tasty to a lot of people from the start. It's silly to raise bands like the Beatles and the Rolling Stones to god-like status because of their "musical achievements".

Personally I'm a freak for everything(well, most) Pink Floyd has produced. I appreciate the massive talent, I appreciate the process they used to create music, and I appreciate the way their music makes me feel. I don't care about much beyond that. Has Pink Floyd influenced bands, or "revolutionized" music? In some ways sure, but does it really matter?

If you don't listen to a band simply because they are popular, then you are an elitist tool. If you try to argue which band is better than which, you are also a tool, taste is subjective. The first person to bring up the Beatles in this thread is one of these types. Do you really think so many people listen to the Beatles so they can get cred?

Sorry to continue the derail of the thread, and this post wasn't directed at you Ghesta, just quoted because you were the last to post about this topic.
Closed Thread