Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Blue Community > Blue Server Chat

Closed Thread

Old 08-03-2021, 11:09 AM
Fire Giant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Worry [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
A lot of items are from people who sit in tunnel all day and only do tunnelquesting, they will buy and monopolize a semi-rare piece, then boost the price up on multiple alts/names on both forums and wiki. This is usually the mid-range items like 10-50k. Most of those have been boosted up by at least 10-30k lol, like Lute of the Howler.

The big name items are because there are a lot more guilds getting to some of these items. They are monopolizing them (because raid guilds turn people into scum, I know: i've been in 3 of them) then reselling at like 100k+ the price. Like Cowl of Mortality has went up from 140 last year to like 200-300+ now. It's hilarious.

Now items like Drums of the Beast it's because no one wants to farm the zone it's in. Sirens Grotto is probably the most difficult non-raid zone in game, and the camp is awful (I've done it) They are definitely not worth more than 150k, but since no one is farming it you can't really say shit.

Also, you will probably be blasted for this post by annoying, bored manchildren who sit on the forum all day but it is a legit question imo. Hope it doesn't run you off the server because it's run a ton of folks off, but gear isn't THAT important and it will come without having to pay for it if you hit 60.

-A guy who used to tunnelquest & has been in multiple raid guilds
LMAO first of all, as someone who has been camping drums of the beast for a month and a half now, has killed 350+ PH's, and have seen TWO FUCKING named mobs, you're wrong about drums. They should be gd 400k.

My second point kind of plays on what you say though. When Green came out, in the post aftermath world of P99 Blue, population was low, and there wasn't a lot of people farming certain pieces of gear. Such as, Singing Steel Helmet, people were looking to buy things such as that for months on end to no avail. And, as you know how supply and demand works, when there is virtually 0 of an item for sale, people will pay more and more.

I mean shit, when I STARTED trying to buy drums of the beast, Aftermath was still alive. I made my bard and tried to buy the drums somewhere around end of summer 2019. The rest of the year I was trying to buy a pair, offering 80, then 100, then 120, and NOT A SINGLE PERSON had them for sale.

Then there are other items, such as Fungi Tunic. Realistically, because of how OP fungi tunic is, it should be 150-200k each. (It's really best in slot for just about everyone who can wear it) The price ebb and flows between 40-60k anymore. Part of the reason for this, is because the GM's keep fucking with the way the camp behaves (for better or for worse). The King Solo pull has changed no less than 7 times since I started camping it years ago. At the moment, The PH paths back over the ledge every time, meaning holding the camp with a duo is harder (much harder) than it was before. Therefore, since tunics aren't being pumped out every 5 hours, the price is rising (rightfully so)

At the end of the day, Items are worth what people will pay. If you caught me at the right time a few weeks ago, I would have paid 1500 per adamantite band. That's 6x the normal price. Yes, there are certain douchers who artificially inflate the price on the wiki (Loramin/Wiki experts, if you know how to fix this, DM me the walkthrough and i'll start adjusting prices when I see someone obviously trying to price fix) But some items have seen a price hike due to Demand and absolutely no supply. Hardly anybody farms brood/ldogs anymore compared to before, as flawless diamonds and whatnot are worth a fraction of what they used to be. Yet everyone has a bard alt now. Hence Lute of the Howler rising in price (again I think rightfully so, if you want people to find camping lower dogs worth it, and want an item available on the market, you have to make it worth their time. It's not a walk in the park to solo lower dogs)
Last edited by Twochain; 08-03-2021 at 11:13 AM..
Old 08-03-2021, 12:21 PM
Sarnak

Twochain, I don't always agree with you but your take here is pretty spot on. Especially about the king camp. Most recent pathing change made it much much harder to pull the king or his PH solo. Still doable, but the you have super tight windows to do it in now, and there's an element of RNG that you can't really control.
Old 08-03-2021, 01:16 PM
Fire Giant

Quote:
Originally Posted by xdrcfrx [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Twochain, I don't always agree with you but your take here is pretty spot on. Especially about the king camp. Most recent pathing change made it much much harder to pull the king or his PH solo. Still doable, but the you have super tight windows to do it in now, and there's an element of RNG that you can't really control.
Sadly, it's almost easier to glitch the ph/king into the wall, make it pop up to NG, and have it come solo through jail VS trying to pull it classically. I've taken a long hiatus from that camp for now =P

Brings up another point though, Cobalt Bracer should be 80k+. I've camped king an absolutely ungodly amount of hours, and have seen 2 drop EVER. Maybe a third somewhere, but we're talking probably 7500+ mushrooms being killed in groups i've been in an i've seen definitely less than 5. And as the camp is usually duo/trio'd, you never see people kill more mushrooms than absolutely necessary (which is the boring way to do the camp!)

A Cobalt bracer hasn't even been auctioned on the market since May. 2021-05-25 Lodranis 50000.
Old 08-03-2021, 01:38 PM
Planar Protector

People realize(d) that platinum has little value, even moreso on Blue, where a lot of people no longer even play.

What has value is the quality time you spend on EQ and platinum cannot buy that.

Also having legacy items has value. But holding platinum is a losing proposition, every second you become poorer and poorer due to inflation.
Old 08-03-2021, 01:57 PM
Planar Protector

Plats only really any good for buying muffins, bandages and cloudy pots (plus some scrolls and milk if your toon is a nerd).
Beyond that it only has value as people have confidence in it.

As you can see above: big time cash farmers have basically lost faith in it. This, coupled with the removed sinks, decreases the value to other players of each pp you own.

Item trades are the real wealth transfers now.
Old 08-03-2021, 02:01 PM
Fire Giant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Izmael [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
People realize(d) that platinum has little value, even moreso on Blue, where a lot of people no longer even play.

What has value is the quality time you spend on EQ and platinum cannot buy that.

Also having legacy items has value. But holding platinum is a losing proposition, every second you become poorer and poorer due to inflation.
The valuation of items that you can buy out of the tunnel are just so lopsided right now is the issue.

If I gifted a random level 1 monk 150k, He will reach level 60 probably 2/3rds faster than a non twink monk. Fungi, Haste, a T-staff, and some hp gear and you will FLY through level 1-50. A non twink monk can probably solo 1 mob for every 6 that a twinked monk can.

If someone gifts me 150k, i'd almost get nothing out of it. Maybe a ring 9 MQ for my bard? That's 1 item. And it's not even a huge upgrade, just cuts out a lot of bullshit that you'd normally have to do. I want an extra pair of holgresh elder beads for my enchanter..... meaning if someone just gifted me 150k... i'd be 1/6th of the way there...

But part of the reason i'd suggest picking blue over green if you started a level 1 toon right now..... you can gear yourself so, so much faster on a 12 year old server, where you could be gifted 1k+ just for a simple port. Some people enjoy the masochism of untwinked classic EQ, and honestly more power to you, but jesus you're spending a lot of extra time to get to the same destination, if you goal on the server is to have a level 60. Otherwise it's whatever [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Old 08-03-2021, 02:01 PM
Planar Protector

Platinum is infinite. NPC merchants never run out. Mobs will always spawn with more. The only factor restricting the inflation of platinum is how quickly the community can kill the mobs or farm the trash gems to sell to vendor in order to make more platinum. In all actuality, this makes platinum pretty much worthless.

The items we buy with platinum are more rare. They are limited to the respawn timer of the source mob and the chance the mob spawns multiplied by the chance the item drops. Some items no longer drop. And then players remove items from circulation by either hoarding them or equipping them on their character with no intention of ever selling. This makes a lot of items priceless.

These two factors lead to inflation. There is no limit to the amount of platinum in the market, and while most items will be replaced as soon as they are sold, some items are sold never to be seen again. Items in the market are worth a lot more than plat, so the price goes up.

Another contributing factor is that the server is top heavy. Players have multiple characters they are seeking to gear, so the demand on good gear goes up. When the demand goes up, people fill the need by supplying more, but the supply cannot always keep up, and if the item no longer drops, then the price of the item will continue to increase with demand like the legacy items.

A good example of this is the price of fungi tunic. There are more characters on the server every day whether new players or existing players creating new characters, so there's a constant demand for fungi tunic. More and more platinum enters circulation every day, but there's only a small number of new fungi tunics every day. The price will go up as long as there are new players and new characters that need fungi tunics because the fungi tunic is worth more than the plat used to buy it. This will continue until everybody who wants a fungi tunic has one and there are fewer new characters or players entering the market than new fungi tunics so that the supply exceeds the demand.

Price for things like mana stone, prenerf fungi staff, circlet of shadows, elder beads will only ever go up until somebody either finds a forgotten cache of the items or until some outside factor like nerfing elder beads. There are no new ones entering the market, and most of the time when an existing one is claimed, it's permanent never to be resold.
Also its pretty hard not to post after you.. not because you have a stimulating(sic), but because you are constantly patrolling RnF and filling it with your spam.
Old 08-03-2021, 02:19 PM
Fire Giant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samoht [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Platinum is infinite. NPC merchants never run out. Mobs will always spawn with more. The only factor restricting the inflation of platinum is how quickly the community can kill the mobs or farm the trash gems to sell to vendor in order to make more platinum. In all actuality, this makes platinum pretty much worthless.

The items we buy with platinum are more rare. They are limited to the respawn timer of the source mob and the chance the mob spawns multiplied by the chance the item drops. Some items no longer drop. And then players remove items from circulation by either hoarding them or equipping them on their character with no intention of ever selling. This makes a lot of items priceless.

These two factors lead to inflation. There is no limit to the amount of platinum in the market, and while most items will be replaced as soon as they are sold, some items are sold never to be seen again. Items in the market are worth a lot more than plat, so the price goes up.

Another contributing factor is that the server is top heavy. Players have multiple characters they are seeking to gear, so the demand on good gear goes up. When the demand goes up, people fill the need by supplying more, but the supply cannot always keep up, and if the item no longer drops, then the price of the item will continue to increase with demand like the legacy items.

A good example of this is the price of fungi tunic. There are more characters on the server every day whether new players or existing players creating new characters, so there's a constant demand for fungi tunic. More and more platinum enters circulation every day, but there's only a small number of new fungi tunics every day. The price will go up as long as there are new players and new characters that need fungi tunics because the fungi tunic is worth more than the plat used to buy it. This will continue until everybody who wants a fungi tunic has one and there are fewer new characters or players entering the market than new fungi tunics so that the supply exceeds the demand.

Price for things like mana stone, prenerf fungi staff, circlet of shadows, elder beads will only ever go up until somebody either finds a forgotten cache of the items or until some outside factor like nerfing elder beads. There are no new ones entering the market, and most of the time when an existing one is claimed, it's permanent never to be resold.
Funnily enough, if Green dumps into Blue as has been the plan since before Green, Blue will be getting a HUGE cache of legacy items on the market. Beads/Manastone/Circlet of Shadow will probably never be as expensive on Blue as they are right now if that's the case. Prenerf fungi stick is probably a little different though... How many even dropped on green?
Old 08-04-2021, 07:22 AM
Fire Giant

Another consideration is that some guilds have rules against selling raid gear. It is not supposed to be sold unless you can replace it. For BiS pieces like White Dragon Helm or AoW pants they are pretty much BiS so they have to consider that risk.

One of the things that EQ did so well was having a form of currency that people can actually use to trade. I know some people have strong feelings about how recharges work, but without those sucking platinum out of the economy then plat would be essentially worthless. For those of us that played Diablo 2, you probably remember that gold was worthless and everyone is having to trade items using other items (SoJ) as a unit of measure which I never liked. Being able to convert items to plat to then use to buy other items is much more convenient.
Old 08-04-2021, 08:29 AM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barlu [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Another consideration is that some guilds have rules against selling raid gear. It is not supposed to be sold unless you can replace it. For BiS pieces like White Dragon Helm or AoW pants they are pretty much BiS so they have to consider that risk.
A lot of those pieces were acquired in guilds of old. As soon as you're not tagged its yours to trade.

Additionally there are a significant number of folks out there using dkp exclusively for droppable items, too.