Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Server Issues > Resolved Issues

Closed Thread

Old 09-28-2019, 01:49 AM
Planar Protector

If there is a cap of 4 targets, and you pull 8 mobs. While you double your "kite time" you will still functionally be kiting 8 mobs. The max number of Aoe targets doesn't change the number of mobs you can theoretically kite.
Old 09-28-2019, 05:05 AM
Planar Protector

Vyal's last link is about the DoT kiting damage nerf. It's not relevant to pbae target limits.

His link about the bard kiting story is legit though. The bard says all his targets were below half so that sounds like it was hitting all six targets at once.

So as late as May we have Kendrick and one other bard saying that bard pbae was limited, like "almost all" AoE, to four targets. We have a restatement of that in June to no objections.

Then in September just before the AoE patch we have a bard kiting six mobs at once in what seemed like a novel tactic.

That would place the removal of pbae target limits sometime between June and September.

I think what might have happened is that the limit was removed before the official patch message was released, probably with a server side patch in scheduled downtime. Verant did that sometimes.

The pbae limits are still firmly evidenced for launch and the first few months of Green though, unless you can find earlier stories, Vyal.
Old 09-28-2019, 07:01 PM
Planar Protector

hehe saw Vyal practicing for green today. https://i.imgur.com/1U4515P.mp4 [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Old 09-28-2019, 08:19 PM
Sarnak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jibartik [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
hehe saw Vyal practicing for green today. https://i.imgur.com/1U4515P.mp4 [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I wouldn't run like that [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Truth is I don't play Blue I guess it's been around 5 years since I have. But I did check into some of my accounts recently to make sure they were alright and to make sure I had the login info right, i'm still reading over 5 years worth of changes.
Sadly I still didn't find my mule [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]

If AoE limits remain just know these are not original, also know that especially on Blue server they shouldn't be in.
There's nothing like finding an empty zone and killing all the mobs in it. GM can frown upon that and i'm sure some did on SoE EQ as well but it is supposed to be allowed in the game.
Either way i'll be playing Green however the AoE works, does it work properly or does it get castrated right off the bat. I probably won't be playing a bard either it's just too much of a gamble of how far they are willing to nerf the class. 25 mobs or 4 mobs neither is how it worked so how far they will go is anyones guess.
Old 09-29-2019, 04:24 AM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dolalin [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
His link about the bard kiting story is legit though. The bard says all his targets were below half so that sounds like it was hitting all six targets at once.
But it's not, really. You'd have to scroll around on your ui back then to even determine you hit more than 4 enemies. You'd just see damage spam fill up your Ui and think you must be hitting everything. if you have a group of 8 balled up and they all are exactly the same speed you will end up spreading the damage around to all of them generally equally. Notice how he one of the other guys in those comments says "he usually does 4"? That's because beyond 4 you are going to start to have more mobs living longer after some started to die off earlier due to RNG. Those guys then think that beyond 4 is a problem because the enemies are not being "balled up correctly". All they are seeing is that their actual AoE cap was only 4 mobs and trying to make "logical" sense of it their poorer kite time/mob hit point differences.
Old 09-29-2019, 09:26 AM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dolalin View Post
I agree with this but I also totally concur that a cocky ass everquest player would assume all the mobs were half life when only 4 were haha

46 froglock tads! Everquest is amazing!

[You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]

Edit: But Vyal it is great research and is damning but I am still standing on the fence, because there is also good evidence still for the other side of it.
Last edited by Jibartik; 09-29-2019 at 09:33 AM..
Old 09-29-2019, 10:12 AM
Planar Protector

It must be the case that pbae, at least bard pbae, was bugged (or gimped on purpose to help with server stability) and then fixed sometime between June and September.

The alternative is that Kendrick and the eqbards list were having a mass hallucination, I just don't believe it.
Last edited by Dolalin; 09-29-2019 at 10:14 AM..
Old 09-29-2019, 11:03 AM
Former Guide

Moving to resolved as patch rule has been implemented.
Old 10-12-2019, 03:09 AM
Decaying Skeleton

Hello, Just read the posts and such, I do remember when I first started to play EQ, I chose warrior then after 2 weeks I changed to a bard because I saw a bard killing and running around with a lot of things chasing him. I started to play 2 weeks after launch, but I don't remember if there was a 'cap' limit, but I do remember him killing all of the monsters roughly the same time. It did take him about 5-10 minutes. When I was playing a bard I didn't try to aoe kite until i was lvl 16 ish, but when I did kite I do not remember pbaoe's having a limit. I would kill roughly 10-12 mobs. which would of been around the 2nd or 3rd month from release. not sure if that helps any, probably not because I don't have any evidence.
Closed Thread