Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Class Discussions > Casters

Closed Thread

Old 04-25-2019, 09:02 PM
Planar Protector

Enchanter lvl 24 today had no issues charming osargen at 165 cha self buffed! He parses at triple the dps of lvl 24 summoned pet!
Old 05-23-2019, 06:30 PM
Kobold

I've always charmed pretty much whenever I can but there are often cases when you just don't need the extra dps, due to lack of mobs or mobs dying so fast that the uptime ratio is very low, and then having a charmed pet is just extra risk.
Old 05-23-2019, 08:27 PM
Planar Protector

If there are “often” cases that you don’t want/need extra DPS due to lack of mobs, my suggestion is find somewhere else to kill or hire a better puller...
Old 05-24-2019, 01:05 PM
Kobold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wallicker [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
If there are “often” cases that you don’t want/need extra DPS due to lack of mobs, my suggestion is find somewhere else to kill or hire a better puller...
Often was definitely too strong a word and I agree that it doesn't apply to xp group, unless you're a little too low for the content. An example of what I was thinking of would helping someone camp stuff with limited mobs around to kill
Old 05-24-2019, 06:48 PM
Fire Giant

Send a message via ICQ to applesauce25r624 Send a message via AIM to applesauce25r624

plebs

plebs for days

please uninstall
Old 05-25-2019, 12:58 AM
Sarnak

When charming the mob level has a tremendous impact, charming a mob a couple level too high can really make it unsustainable especially at lower levels.

Let's take level 60 as an example, everything lvl 45+ will cons blue, and you can charm up to level 54. I can't stress it enough but charming a lvl 45 will be trivial while charming a lvl 54 will most likely end up with you dead. The golden rule for me leveling has always been to pet the lowest blue I could find in zone, then torch/haste it if I feel safe enough.

Another problem I see on a lot of low level enchanters they will stun/mezz/tash/charm at literally every pet break, you don't have much mana regen early on and it's clearly not substainable.
At 12 you can easily just open with charm, if pet break cast charm again, the low level charm spells are pretty fast casts you shouldn't take more than 1 or 2 round of melee. You can even take 0 damage if you park pet away from you then as the cast time on charm become longer and the damage taken on clothies ramp up you can start to include some stun/mezz.

Even at 60 if I know my tash is fresh when I get a pet break I will save some mana and just cast stun + allure skiping on aoe mezz + tash. Sure it's just 90 mana and it seems irrelevant at 60 but it adds up and taking that mindset you will definitely have lower downtimes.
Last edited by Sacer; 05-25-2019 at 01:01 AM..
Old 05-25-2019, 03:31 AM
Fire Giant

charming is dangerous, but if you're not trying to push the limits of what your class can do, nobody is interested in your feedback.
Old 06-19-2019, 08:18 AM
Kobold

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1asdfasdf1 [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
What I see:
  • Charm breaks (as intended)
  • Healer blows 1/4 or more of their mana (hope they weren't OOM!) keeping enchanter alive while enchanter regains Charm.
  • Repeat

Would that combination of wasted mana from the cleric, and potentially wasted mana from the enchanter, not be better served just rolling up nuker?

Charming is "fun" but I also see the landscape littered with the corpses of enchanters.

General XP grinding charmed pet DPS is a waste and an unnecessary risk. Change my mind.
Charming at lower lvls can be like this, but at higher lvls it is absolutely worth it. The higher lvl charms last longer and the enchanter should have max CHA to make charm breaks less likely.

Wizards and nukers are just awful in high lvl groups. The mobs have too much hp, and their nukes draw too much aggro.
Old 06-19-2019, 02:46 PM
Kobold

So, I have a lowbie Ench that has been practising charming on Oasis crocs. (All my chars are lowbies, highest lvl 22.) She does pretty well on any blue mobs, difficult if even con or just 1 level lower. But it works well otherwise.

The only issue I have is that I have been playing it wrong. I have been playing for my pet to win, as I would with my Necro who I have a longer history playing. I am going to have to try out the Charm a pet-Let a mob or mobs almost kill it-Break charm-Nuke or dot pet to finish off-Charm new pet for sacrifice. It will be different, but I can see how I could almost constantly kill this way.

FYI, her gear was all purchased by earned plat, as I have no high levels to twink.

Link to Magelo
Old 06-21-2019, 04:24 AM
Sarnak

enchanter dps as topic? assuming group enviro, the answer is two-fold: if melee heavy comp, my dps comes in form of haste. 4 hasted melees keep my mana drained pretty well. if caster heavy, charm or nothing (nukes and dots are garbage).

charm breaks make you nervous? roll a mage
Closed Thread