Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Class Discussions > Melee

Closed Thread

Old 05-24-2020, 07:36 PM
Kobold

Default 40s Monk Gear Question

Hey,

I’ve read a lot of threads on here but wanted some perspective. (My gear is in my magelo sig below)

I have 3kish saved up atm. What is my next purchase (trying to earn pp as I level)

Ideas are:

Tink bag
Jboots
Velious bracer (for summoning throwing wpns)
Adamantine club / sos
T staff
Fungi

I’m obviously very far away from the last 2 but wondering if I should just skip the others (they’re just qol items honestly and Some extra wpns) and just save and save and save for a fungi.

Please help me decide.
Old 05-24-2020, 11:04 PM
Planar Protector

definitely jboots
Old 05-25-2020, 04:10 AM
Planar Protector

Aren’t tink bags pretty stable and liquid, so really they’ll just help you make money faster with no risk to your investment?

I say focus on xp to 46. Get sky rot belt and a couple of friends to smash out most of the epic. You can probably get gwann by piggybacking as a guest on sky raids. You may be able to form a crew for your bro robe by asking nicely on forum. / all skyfire and ask around if they are working the drake cycle (enchanters likely to leave immortals to rot). Kc pipe you can get on xp highway... for me chardok was most time consuming part.

A lot of people on the server are experienced at the final fight, ask around for help on that. It doesn’t take a huge or particularly well equipped force.
Last edited by Jimjam; 05-25-2020 at 04:17 AM..
Old 05-25-2020, 07:16 AM
Planar Protector

+1 for Tinkerers bags. They are one of the few investments in this game that actually increase your plat income. Money is super easy to make on a monk once you get an inventory full of them. Buy them straight from the vendor with 105 charisma and sneak for about 5084.

Best part is, if you "need cash now" you can pop on your Charisma gear and sell them to a vendor for a loss of only about 100p.
Old 05-25-2020, 07:36 AM
Banned

jboots for sure, getting everywhere faster is going to save you a lot of time and time is money
Old 05-25-2020, 11:29 AM
Kobold

K, thanks guys. When I have the money, I think I’m going to get jboots, level to 46 and start working on my epic. (I’ll keep saving and get a tink bag next whenever that happens)

I appreciate all your thoughts!
Old 05-26-2020, 03:55 AM
Sarnak

if u solo a lot, jboots seem like the best choice. if u mainly group, id go tink bag for loot capacity to later fund those jboots
Old 05-28-2020, 07:40 AM
Kobold

Tink bags til you have enough to buy Fungi. Fungi on a monk is super super OP and Jboots MQ will just set you back in the amount of time it takes you to get one.
Old 05-28-2020, 12:57 PM
Planar Protector

I agree with the Tink Bag sentiment. Monks have FD, so the run speed isn't as necessary for survival. Monks are not kiters, so the run speed isn't useful for that, either.

Jboots will just help you run from one place to another, but you will probably get a SoW any time you get a port. Also, Jboots aren't usable indoors, if you are playing in a dungeon.

Tink bags allow you to loot more, and thus increase pp faster. If you farm Misty thicket guards, for example, you can get 500pp an hour without killing Budo and Drebo (Budo is like level 39, so he can be tough). Every 10 hours = 1 tink bag. After 100 hours, sell the Tink bags for a Fungi.

Since you are a monk, you can sneak sell the spears to the halflings.
Old 05-28-2020, 07:37 PM
Kobold

Hey all, I appreciate your thoughts. I find myself running a lot without sow, so I did go with jboots. But honestly if you think about doing 5k a tink bag and after 10 bags and 100 hrs (and let’s face it, it costs 5.3kpp per bag for me and fungus are 55k) what’s the hurt of an extra 10 hrs.

That statement actually made me feel better about choosing the jboots first. But really thank you all for you comments!

(Side note, I never had jboots in classic and this was one of my bucket list items to get)