Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Important > News & Announcements

Old 04-30-2022, 12:49 AM
Planar Protector

Hey Rogean,

Hows about just straight up telling us what you guys need to keep the project running, and offering a little transparency about the donations you receive, how they are spent and what hurdles you encounter when tryin to acquire new hardware, which even I know isn't cheap.

Like many other players, I'm no IT guy but i make money in other fields, a lil bit of which could be donated (ive never donated, but thought about it)

So here is what I propose: P99 staff crunches numbers based on projected future hardware needs, or even immediate hardware needs. As well as publishing donation info, and how these funds are used. Obviously you can't give us too much info because the rest of these plebs will pick it apart and diligently work to find ways it could be perceived as mismanaged.

Just saying it would be interesting to get a glimpse behind the scenes.

TL;DR:

Just come out and say, "We need to upgrade X component, of Y machine, or we need to purchase an entirely new Z machine.

We could totally crowdfund this hardware, and with relative ease.

Everyone who still plays on P99 is ultra-loyal to the project, and would be happy to help keep it going, or even improve! (looking at you, forum load times)

So hows about telling us what you want, and seeing where it goes.

P99 Dev team should know that they are not alone in the operation of this project.
Old 04-30-2022, 03:19 AM
Decaying Skeleton

Default Want money?

I haven't seen the donation link yet. Doesn't seem right, does it?
Old 04-30-2022, 08:35 AM
Fire Giant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trexller [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Hey Rogean,

Hows about just straight up telling us what you guys need to keep the project running\
Did you even read his post?
Old 04-30-2022, 09:55 AM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shamanistic [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I haven't seen the donation link yet. Doesn't seem right, does it?
It's on the home page on the right-hand side:

https://www.project1999.com/index.php

-Mcoy
Old 05-01-2022, 04:02 AM
Planar Protector

“So, if you are in a position that gives you access to, or the ability, to donate relatively newer/used enterprise level hardware, please reach out to me on Discord.”

This is a request for hardware donations not pure cash guys ...

Gorgen (Blue) - Agnostic Troll Warrior of the XXX Dung

Old 05-02-2022, 04:17 PM
Planar Protector

Thread reads like the ooc/say of a classic GM event, with a bunch of players trying to figure out what the GM-controlled NPC seeks from them, having none of the usual [keywords] in brackets to lead the conversation.
Old 05-02-2022, 09:24 PM
Fire Giant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trexller [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Hey Rogean,

Hows about just straight up telling us what you guys need to keep the project running, and offering a little transparency.

So hows about telling us what you want, and seeing where it goes.
Not trying to slam you here, and as a fellow p99 citizen, I appreciate your willingness to help.

Rogean was incredibly transparent here with detailing the hardware and hypervisor used for the various servers that they host. He is also not asking for cash, but if any of us have access to relevant hardware to replace the aging stuff.

Until 2019 I worked for a company that would frequently hand out enterprise grade hardware. Before I moved half way across the country in 2020 I sold the hpe proliants, Nimble storage, switches and cables that were handed to me. If I still worked for that company, I can guarantee I would have viable replacements in my possession.

My point being, for some in the IT industry, having access to this hardware is not uncommon and this approach allows Rogean and team to best utilize the funds.
Old 05-03-2022, 09:03 AM
Sarnak

There were some people offering large donations for a new red server.

At some point in time I was prepared to throw in 2000$. Heartbrand and others made similar promises. Seems even a meagre 5k in donations would go a long way covering new hardware, but that opportunity was squandered.

Good luck anyway.
Old 05-03-2022, 09:47 AM
Fire Giant

Quote:
Originally Posted by derpcake2 [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
There were some people offering large donations for a new red server.

At some point in time I was prepared to throw in 2000$. Heartbrand and others made similar promises. Seems even a meagre 5k in donations would go a long way covering new hardware, but that opportunity was squandered.

Good luck anyway.
Ohh shucks, 2k!?!? Guess you guys got turned away and now found somewhere else that wants your money?
Old 05-03-2022, 11:16 PM
Planar Protector

Thanks for the good post. I also think thats what is going on. I thought my sibling in IT may have something, but he didnt.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Issar [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Not trying to slam you here, and as a fellow p99 citizen, I appreciate your willingness to help.

Rogean was incredibly transparent here with detailing the hardware and hypervisor used for the various servers that they host. He is also not asking for cash, but if any of us have access to relevant hardware to replace the aging stuff.

Until 2019 I worked for a company that would frequently hand out enterprise grade hardware. Before I moved half way across the country in 2020 I sold the hpe proliants, Nimble storage, switches and cables that were handed to me. If I still worked for that company, I can guarantee I would have viable replacements in my possession.

My point being, for some in the IT industry, having access to this hardware is not uncommon and this approach allows Rogean and team to best utilize the funds.
Lost but not forgotten.