Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Green Community > Green Server Chat

Closed Thread

Old 04-19-2021, 03:55 AM
Fire Giant

But all that said I've ultimately decided to roll an enchanter, finally settled on a name. The journey begins...

I could still use someone to talk to in-game though if anyone's willing to help. [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.] Might need suggestions on where to level, how to kill, etc etc.
Old 04-19-2021, 04:31 AM
Aviak

I've been ENC main for 20 years (with many long breaks). You're asking some good questions.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tadkins [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I'm wondering if there might be a playstyle of enchanter that supports high INT.
Not until you are doing raids that don't facilitate charmed pets, which is end-game, and the end-game gear has a lot of INT on it. Until then, you need to max your CHA for charming. I personally prefer Erudite over High Elf for greater INT+CHA stats plus the racial MR bonus (and they also look better, I think). But you should still put your points into CHA over INT. If you do go ERU for the higher starting INT, then aim for a Tranix crown for the excellent MR plus worn infravision.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tadkins [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
But that said I'm less worried about the enchanter having a chain of resists than I was as a wizard. At least the enchanter has a MR debuff, that should help things greatly on that front, right?
That's right. Tash helps a lot. What you will be thinking about more is aggro management (tash generates a lot of hate). There are times when you can't afford the extra hate and will decide that it's actually preferable to skip tash and risk a greater resist chance.

Enchanter is about risk management. Here are a few tash-related situational tricks that can help you minimize risk in certain situations:

(1) Sometimes you want to mez before tash, and then memblur to clear aggro. With high enough CHA that you are confident in your lull success (recall that CHA helps to mitigate mob aggro on a lull/calm/pacify resist), then you can first calm a group of mobs, and then proceed to mez one, tash it while mezzed, and then re-mez until it memblurs (using lv 4 mez). Now you have a mob that's forgotten about you but is already MR debuffed for the next 14 minutes.

(2) Also keep in mind that you can calm your pet while it's charmed. So calm your pet and camp directly (without breaking charm). Log right back in, and it won't aggro on you (and will still be tashed). Now you can re-log in with no aggro and a tash already in place - mez, refresh tash, recharm. This can be useful when you need to leapfrog mobs while delving. It also works with Rapture+Tash+Dictate at 60.

Quote:
Are there going to be instances where I might not always have a pet to charm available, and what can be done during them? Let's say I'm off in the middle of nowhere in WK camping one of the HG spawns? There's nothing like "diminishing returns" on charming, and I can theoretically keep the same pet forever if I wanted, right?
I think of this question the other way around -- is your camp good quality or not? If your goal is soloing for XP, then a good-quality camp is one that allows you to not be forced to keep one pet forever. In order to keep a pet forever, you have complete heal it, and the way a chanter does that is to pacify your pet, memblur it so that it gets 5% per tick regen, and then mez, tash, re-charm. But healing your pet is not good efficiency for XP, because you're wasting damage. Instead, it would be preferable to kill off your pet when it gets low.

Think about it this way: if your pet is doing 50 damage/sec to a mob and that mob is doing 50 damage/sec back to your pet, and you're eventually going to get XP from both, then you're getting XP at a rate of 100 damage/sec without healing. To be able to break your charm instantly, immediately before it dies (and thus only requires a small nuke to finish off), aim to acquire a Goblin Gazughi Ring.

In doing the above, you might find that the non-pet is not yet low enough to finish off. In that case, cast mez on the mob while spamming "back off" on your pet, and then immediately re-tash the mob in order to maintain aggro (preventing it from possibly being memblurred and therefore regenning health). Then break charm from a distance and mez/root the ex-pet and kill it off.

So, now, back to your question: yes, there are situations you can get into where you don't have a good supply of new pets to keep swapping and cycling through. That's a bad camp from an XP standpoint. Maybe doable with your animation pet plus slow, but why put yourself through such painfully slow misery?

Quote:
From my experiences as a mage, sometimes I'd just let the pet take 50% of the exp depending on the situation. I'd rather kill the mob and come out alive than try to be the most efficient. As an enchanter I'd probably rather be safe and just accept 50% of the exp than try to be tricky and end up dying.
If you want to go this route, then I'd suggest duoing with a cleric and allow them to CH your pet. Anytime you are in a group, the pet won't eat XP (even if it does all of the damage), and you'll also be burning through mobs quicker in the duo.

If you're solo and looking for XP, then there's no reason to not break the pet for extra XP. Just operate on lower-level mobs until you get the hang of it and slowly work your way up. Lower-level mobs with a better (break charm) strategy will be both safer and faster than letting the pet win and eating your XP. After all, your main risks are during random (unintentional) charm breaks anyway. Breaking charm when you are ready with everything under control is not very risky.

Quote:
I'm only anxious because of how harsh failure is in this game. Messing up and not getting it right adds up to a lot of undone progress and I don't have any loyal cleric friends to help bail me out of that. xD
Start with some level 10 mobs and just practice until you get used to it, slowly increasing the mob level until you get up to mobs that start giving XP. Also, when you do start on higher-level mobs, fight near a zone line, so you can just zone if you start to lose control. Focus on learning the class correctly, operating on low-enough level mobs that you are able to build your skills. I strongly advise against practicing suboptimal strategies; the fun of Enc is to be an Enc.
Last edited by Ruien; 04-19-2021 at 04:41 AM..
Old 04-19-2021, 04:42 AM
Fire Giant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruien [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I've been ENC main for 20 years (with many long breaks). You're asking some good questions.
I appreciate all of the advice. [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.] I've bookmarked this thread for all the good info you guys have given me. I do genuinely feel slightly less anxious about getting into the class now, hehe.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruien [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Not until you are doing raids that don't facilitate charmed pets, which is end-game, and the end-game gear has a lot of INT on it. Until then, you need to max your CHA for charming. I personally prefer Erudite over High Elf for greater INT+CHA stats plus the racial MR bonus (and they also look better, I think). But you should still put your points into CHA over INT. If you do go ERU for the higher starting INT, then aim for a Tranix crown for the excellent MR plus worn infravision.
I ended up picking human, dat bad? xD

I did go the max CHA route though.
Old 04-19-2021, 05:01 AM
Orc

Quote:
I ended up picking human, dat bad? xD

I did go the max CHA route though.
I have a level 58 human ench - its not min/max but its not bad. Min/max choices are either HE for the stats or DE for the hide. Human's do have a nice starting str and good cha though.

I know you are also feeling daunted by the amount of things an enchanter can do - my advise would be to work on one technique at a time until you feel comfortable with it. You don't need to be an expert in the entire class on day 1.
Last edited by yiuman; 04-19-2021 at 05:08 AM..
Old 04-19-2021, 05:04 AM
Fire Giant

Quote:
Originally Posted by yiuman [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I have a level 58 human ench - its not min/max but its not bad. Min/max choices are either HE for the stats or DE for the hide. Human's do have a nice starting str and good cha though.
I tend to go human a lot of the time for the flavor. Average down to earth race guy combined with a high fantasy magic class, it's just a nice contrast in my eyes.

Plus I can start in Freeport which is basically the center of server civilization.

Quote:
Originally Posted by yiuman [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I know you are also feeling daunted by the amount of things an enchanter can do - my advise would be to work on one technique at a time until you feel comfortable with it. You don't need to be an expert in the entire class on day 1.
I appreciate that. [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.] I plan on taking Ruien's advice and practicing the charm technique on lower level mobs when that starts to become relevent.
Last edited by tadkins; 04-19-2021 at 05:12 AM..
Old 04-19-2021, 06:33 AM
Planar Protector

Quote:
I'm only anxious because of how harsh failure is in this game. Messing up and not getting it right adds up to a lot of undone progress and I don't have any loyal cleric friends to help bail me out of that. xD
The spikes of retrograde advancement are more than made up for by the learning opportunities and the formidable base rate of progress an enchanter can achieve, even when played at a mediocre level.
Old 04-19-2021, 08:09 AM
Banned

Ench should go max agi, n stack ac so u can gate if u get a lull resist.

Gg.
Old 04-20-2021, 12:32 PM
Kobold

For what it's worth, I wouldn't be too anxious about it. I'd never played an enchanter before, but I really enjoy a Twitch streamer who plays one on blue named Glitcher. He's always doing these incredible duo kills of spore king in Seb, or farming PoHate and stuff and it really inspired me. I went human also, full charisma and at 34 I've got 205 cha self buffed, and pretty low intelligence but haven't had any issues. I've been charming since level 12, starting in NRo and Oasis, and one thing I would highly suggest is getting a spyglass for resetting your GCD and working on questing the Rod of Insidious Glamour for the stats and also the GCD reset (doesn't work until 30).

It's incredibly fun to play, and I feel really powerful compared to my wizard, who I stopped playing around 45. Grouping is fun, CCing and adding dps with a charmed pet (great advice charming one that is a low blue). Hope you enjoy it. I've had some unfortunate deaths, but playing smart you can avoid a lot of bad situations.
Old 04-20-2021, 06:00 PM
Fire Giant

Hey all again. [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.] I actually decided to reroll to a gnome enchanter. Figured there would be no real downside since I can just basically turn into any race and I'm given an extra thing to add to my arsenal (tinkering). What enchanter isn't almost always being an air elemental anyway, right? hehe

However I am facing a dilemma, namely factions. I came to realize that I'm so used to playing evil characters, and things like Rivervale guards and Longsword sisters were always a quick and easy source of cash. But something like that won't really be available to me as an agnostic goodly enchanter. Technically I could kill them but it just wouldn't feel right, hehe. So I will probably have to find another source of reliable cash later on. But this is certainly a different game this time around, walking on eggshells with my factions as opposed to casting them to the winds. xD
Old 04-20-2021, 06:43 PM
Kobold

I don’t think it’s been mentioned in this thread yet, but gnomes also have a HUGE perk of being able to see through walls when you run up to them. My enchanter is a DE but when I’m in a dungeon I usually pick gnome illusion for that critical benefit.
Closed Thread