Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > General Community > Rants and Flames

Closed Thread

Old 04-22-2021, 12:54 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gustoo [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
While the game continue to grow and stuff as more and more people started playing MMO's, the core game degraded and became unrecognizable with Luclin and continued on a downward spiral with each additional expansion.

Posting things like this on a messageboard dedicated to 3 servers created and popular specifically for the purpose of offering the otherwise extinct experience of playing Original - Kunark - Velious everquest with as close to original mechanics as we can muster is ridiculous. Play shards of dalaya, live TLP, or PEQ the grand creation, all great servers that allow you to play non classic everquest.

Coming to the p99 community to ask for post Velious expansions and making a case for them when 100% of the non P99 community is already dedicated to that version of everquest is despicable.

The fact that all the other servers go beyond Velious is evidence enough that the later version of the game is popular.

But it's not popular here.

It's like going to a candlemaking club and telling them how much more efficient and bright an LED lightbulb is. Like...duh? Some people like candles. P99 likes everquest that doesn't go past velious.
I'm not against P99 at all. I appreciate the idea, and don't like how Daybreak's progression servers release a new expac every month. It's just weird when people on here act like everyone quit playing when Luclin came out because I don't think that was the case at all. I think more people started playing as the hype took off.

I also don't remember anyone on my servers digesting the content that fast 20 years ago. I remember raiding Plane of Hate when Luclin dropped because I just got a Woven Shadow and thought it looked SO COOL on the new models.
Old 04-22-2021, 08:20 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by RecondoJoe [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I'm not against P99 at all. I appreciate the idea, and don't like how Daybreak's progression servers release a new expac every month. It's just weird when people on here act like everyone quit playing when Luclin came out because I don't think that was the case at all. I think more people started playing as the hype took off.

I also don't remember anyone on my servers digesting the content that fast 20 years ago. I remember raiding Plane of Hate when Luclin dropped because I just got a Woven Shadow and thought it looked SO COOL on the new models.
Exactly.

Luclin was probably the most balanced pvp expansion too.
Old 04-22-2021, 08:46 AM
Kobold

It's the fast-travel portals that really killed the game, following the business model of prioritizing getting new subscribers over keeping current ones.

I got a 220 martial artist in Anarchy Online instead of the college education I was supposed to be getting, and I can't say I 100% regret it. That was a damn good game before p2w point system
Old 04-22-2021, 09:03 AM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by RecondoJoe [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]

No one acts like people quit playing when Luclin came out. We act exactly as Gustoo said: like Luclin was the beginning of a downward spiral for EQ. Your low IQ is showing again
Old 04-22-2021, 09:25 AM
Banned

Angry

increasingly disheartened about my disenfranchised wizard, during luck in and especially in PoP; once i read whizbangs post on graffe’s about the wow alpha it was enough to permaquit

https://www.graffes.com/forums/showt...e-Alpha-Tester
Old 04-22-2021, 10:32 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snortles Chortles [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
increasingly disheartened about my disenfranchised wizard, during luck in and especially in PoP; once i read whizbangs post on graffe’s about the wow alpha it was enough to permaquit

https://www.graffes.com/forums/showt...e-Alpha-Tester
This is a pretty solid post, and why I still love retail wow. I just don't have the time and patience for the (Time Gated) grind. like it's devolved into, in order to keep up with the people doing heroic (my level of hard) instances and stuffs. And heroics sadly got easier with mythic + invented, while mythic + is coool it's hard to cope with the 1-5 ranks when everyone good is pushing immediatly 10+ and requries a lot of patience to get newbz on the level.

It is not fantasy or high fantasy tho. For sure. It's very much not to be taken super literally and serially seriously.

hardcore Survival modded wow would be something to behold [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Old 04-22-2021, 11:06 AM
Fire Giant

peak being right around 2005 is exactly how i remember it. PoP-OoW is really what i remember when thinking of my childhood everquesting from 2000-2007
Old 04-22-2021, 11:11 AM
Fire Giant

also...i would argue that PoP is the best expansion EQ ever had. It took raiding to a whole new level and offered years of content and great lore.

Say what you want about PoK and such, but in the moment, people like them and it was needed. I think P99 could be successful with books only sending you too PoK and ports out. But, people still needed ports all the time even with the books

FoH kind of spoiled it and threw a big fit about plane of time and i think that puts a rain cloud on it for a lot of people
Old 04-22-2021, 01:48 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Y'all act like the game died when Luclin came out
Note that Sony changed how it defined subscribers a number of times making those charts slightly suspect. Regardless, the usual definition doesn't relate to relative popularity anyhow so its a moot point.

Classic is original through Velious because Kunark and Velious were planned from the get-go. They were cut from original release due to time/budget constraints; you can find references to them in the original game. While the as-built Kunark and Velious continents differed in some ways from their original designs due to improving technology and changing needs, they were at least planned to be there from the start. Luclin and beyond were new content conceived and planned entirely after launch, hence not "classic" anymore. There are some other distinctions that occur during that period as well, such as the departure of much of the original creative staff, re-branding the game to Sony instead of Verant, and major mechanic and graphical alterations. Such changes serve to further separate Luclin+ from the earlier versions of EQ.

Some folks enjoy the Luclin/Planes era (I don't)--witness the existence of TAKP--but it feels like quite a different game than original through Velious. Dividing them up into separate "eras" seems fair enough.

Danth
Old 04-22-2021, 02:07 PM
Banned

[You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Closed Thread