Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > General Community > Off Topic

Closed Thread

Old 06-30-2017, 11:03 AM
Fire Giant

Just wanted to add that for monitors there are some cheap Korean brands that use good panels you can get for cheap. Do your own research, but back when I bought monitors last you could get brands like Crossover or Achieva for a fraction of the price you'd pay for the same panel in different casing. I know the Achieva used the same panel as the 27 in. Apple monitor, but does have the downside of only having DVI-D connection (and because its dual link cheap hdmi/dp adapters don't work). If your card has multiple dvi ports that isn't much of an issue though.

I bought a nice 24 in. 120hz / <5ms monitor for normal gaming in 1080p, and then 2 of those big korean 27 inches in 1440 for everything else.

Also, spend the money on a monitor stand if you're going to do multiple monitors. Mine was like $70 on sale from Jet and cleared up so much desk space. It has fully adjustable arms that let me turn the monitors and even switch between portait and landscape. Probably one of the best sub $100 purchases I've ever made.
Old 06-30-2017, 03:32 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metalopolis [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I'm running a 4790k @ 4.7GHz / 1.350vcore, 980ti, 16 GB DDR3, 2 SSDs and 6 140mm case fans on a Silverstone 520w FANLESS power supply. The entire housing of this PSU acts as a heat sink and doesn't even get warm.

And DONT buy a Founders Ed. 1080ti. They run hot (to the point of throttling) and sound like a fucking leafblower while doing it. A nice aftermarket GPU will run ya like $50 more, run @ higher clocks AND lower temps AND remain significantly quieter. I've heard really good things about EVGA hybrid umbrella has.

FE cards are only good for 2 things:

1) Early adopters who can't wait the 6-8 weeks til aftermarket cards hit retail
2) Custom loop water cooling where FE cards are gonna be cheaper both in terms of the card itself and the water block as well. Its much easier to find blocks for FE cards....hell EK has a full cover block that's fits ALL 10xx series FE cards.
This post is pretty spot on.

Regarding the FE cards, I pretty much agree. I fully planned on getting an aftermarket watercooled 1080ti but I got impatient, said "fuck it" and pulled the trigger the day the FEs launched. FE cards are also generally better for overclocking.I did get the aftermarket cooler from EVGA and it's great, really the next best thing to a full EK loop, which is expensive as hell. The block alone is like $120, I believe while the EVGA kit is only $150 and that's the entire cooling kit.

With regard to the noise, he's right. The only thing I hate more than LED lighting in my
PC is noise, so I have the fan max out around 70% (which is also why it heats faster, but really the noise vs performance vs the extra 30% of fan power has made zero difference in my opinion). Running at max load with the fan where it is (before watercooling) was relatively quiet but not my setup is absolutely silent and the card never heats over 53C ish.
Old 06-30-2017, 05:08 PM
Planar Protector

Here are your extra hard drives - https://slickdeals.net/f/10303508-2t...er-subscribers
Closed Thread