Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Class Discussions > Priests

Closed Thread

Old 05-06-2018, 11:37 AM
Kobold

Default Torpor on MT

Hello just got torpor spell and everyone knows it’s one of the essential items to get for end game play. But I’m not here to discuss pricing since it’s been beaten 6-ways to Sunday and back. If tl;dl, skip to last paragraph thanks!

However, after some research on allakazam I noticed more negativity Regarding casting this spell on main tanks than good. In fact many were saying it was so bad that they threatened shamans to leave or get kicked for casting torpor on MT during group play. I never heard such a thing on p99, EVER.

They were complaining that the heal essentially aggros the mob to the shaman or another healer if they cast after torpor and causes the beat down when the MT now can’t move due to the 100% decreased movement as well as 30% slow thus making the tank completely useless. One of them even said it was absolutely necessary to cast this spell when the mob was around 50% health to prevent a disaster.

I haven’t played in a torpor group in a long time since I came back but from my recollection shamans could cast torpor willy-nilly in a group and I honestly don’t remember if they ever had pulled aggro from casting it or explicitly using it after mob is halfway health or especially having the MT pissed off that torpor was cast on them?

I guess my question is, is it possible that torpor here in p1999 acts slightly differently than from live? Maybe the amount of aggro generated, or the way the movement decrease/ slow decrease is different here? Or am I wasting my time thinking about all this? Thanks in advanced!
Old 05-06-2018, 12:58 PM
Planar Protector

The slow component is a nice perk for hybrid tanks (can poop out aggro with mana).

I'm sure I'm not the only player who will click off torpor a little early when circumstance dictates (sorry shaman pals).
Old 05-07-2018, 01:08 AM
Fire Giant

Quote:
Originally Posted by skarlorn [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I fucking hate getting torped as main tank because the snare makes it very difficult to keep quality mob position if your dps is pushing at all. This is especially dangerous against raid bosses that backstab
This. Strafe wiggling is a real pain when push is strong
Old 05-07-2018, 03:16 PM
Sarnak

boy we're digging deep to find ways to hate a top 5 (easily) spell
Old 05-07-2018, 03:30 PM
Kobold

Quote:
Originally Posted by jijii [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
boy we're digging deep to find ways to hate a top 5 (easily) spell
Believe me, during my research when I read all these negative comments on allakazam I was shocked to be frank. From my experience on p99 anything related to a shaman torpor was pretty much to the effect of 'who needs clerics', 'shamans are op', or 'infinite canni dance' type of responses so to hear how some tanks were straight up pissed off at shamans for casting this took me aback.

Not to mention that some were also saying it's meant to be cast on casters only or some other strange reasoning... could it be possible that torpor isn't supposed to be as good as everyone here thinks it should've been?
Last edited by daxchunjae1912; 05-07-2018 at 03:40 PM.. Reason: grammar
Old 05-07-2018, 03:46 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by daxchunjae1912 [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Not to mention that some were also saying it's meant to be cast on casters only or some other strange reasoning... could it be possible that torpor isn't supposed to be as good as everyone here thinks it should've been?
I'm not sure anyone is perfectly certain that agro mechanics (and how much agro Torpor makes you lose) is exactly correct, so that could be off by a bit I guess. However, what spells did was pretty clear-cut, so I'm 99% certain P99's Torpor does the same thing as on live.

My guess is that it was more an issue of people back then not understanding the game as well as people do now. If you were a melee and suddenly a Shaman cast a spell that makes you move slow (and that you've heard lowers your attack rate), you might freak out and think they're ruining things ... but that doesn't mean they actually were.

Loramin Frostseer, Oracle of the Tribunal <Anonymous> and Fan of the "Where To Go For XP/For Treasure?" Guides
Anyone can improve the wiki! If you are new to the Blue server, you can improve the wiki to earn a "welcome package" of up to 2k+ platinum! Message me for details.
Last edited by loramin; 05-07-2018 at 03:49 PM..
Old 05-07-2018, 03:58 PM
Planar Protector

Also I reckon you weren't able to click off buffs for a long time on live, which probably made the detrimental effects worse.
Closed Thread