Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > General Community > Off Topic

Closed Thread

Old 03-16-2018, 09:39 AM
Planar Protector

Boxing just sucks. I don't know how else to put it. There are a lot of nice people on TAKP, but most of them are off 3-boxing by themselves. Basically all group content can be boxed easily and even things like the Chardok Royals or the Arena or whatnot. So if you aren't raiding, you are probably playing by yourself. Leveling up 3-boxing sucks.

The other problem with TAKP is the PoP resist system trivializing Velious. Verant's problem was that they gave out a bunch of ridiculously overpowered spells like PBAE stun and mez, and then they had to make the monsters resist them to keep things vaguely challenging, and that totally screwed all nukers. In PoP they changed the resist system to 'let spells basically land, add in charm/mez/snare immunity where needed, and be a lot stingier with giving out stun/mez'. But since TAKP has the PoP resist system in Velious, Enchanters can AE mez 4 red cons with a ~10% resist rate. You can also pacify your way through Sebilis and HS with literally zero risk.

I don't really think the client is a huge issue myself.

The advantages of TAKP: overall class balance is probably better than P99 (except for Enchanter/Cleric for group content). QoL features like the Bazaar and PoK. Raid rotations mean you don't have to get up at 3AM to kill dragons. Generally speaking the population has not been hardened by years of 'competition' and thus is pretty laid back. Luclin/PoP if that's your thing.
Old 03-16-2018, 10:28 AM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by fadetree [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Well, ok, look you guys make a big deal about the TAKP client, and you're all quick to yell 'not classic!' about proposed changes here, yet you happily use a client that is totally out of era. The client extras are not just conveniences, they are critical game features and are very powerful in what they let you do, which is why you don't want to lose them. But it is, in fact, out of era.
I’ve never yelled ‘Not Classic!’ about proposed changes here, so please don’t put words into my mouth (or my post) in the process of making your point. I know the titanium client isn’t classic but I am not a stickler for everything being true to classic. As a matter of fact, I am in favor of the Live client and Luclin models. Baker made a good point in saying that the mob spawns, for example, are Moreno accurate on P99 than anywhere else. That’s what I really care about, that in-game content is accurate. If the client offers some non-classic but reasonable features, so be it.
Old 03-16-2018, 05:45 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shrubwise [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Well said. I had the same turn-offs. Titanium client or bust.

If it wasn't limited by the client, I'd probably play there too. Unlike many other P99'ers, I am in favor of boxing and it wouldn't be a turn off for me.
solid aesthetic decisions for a space tend to weed out chaff.

population is actually ideal. 3box limit keeps things sane without boxing your ears. it's far, far more classic. by far the best emu : )
Old 03-16-2018, 09:43 PM
Kobold

When Luclin launches, people will be Mass Group Buffing high level buffs periodically, so new people will be able to god-mode through the lower levels.

We populated zones with packet captured data, so the number of NPCs up on TAKP are the number of NPCs that were up when we snapshot the zone. (usually multiple snapshots) I suppose it's possible a handful of NPCs were killed by guards when we captured the data, but it's not from us just arbitrarily placing NPCs around. Some zones (like Nektulos) just didn't have a lot of NPCs.

P99 is probably a better experience if you're concerned about the early game. I think TAKP really shines in the late game. Sony's ez-modification of the game really began in late Luclin, so we have some of that unfortunately. Also it's fair to say that we do give raid content details more scrutiny because these kinds of projects are never ending triage that will never be 100% finished.

I would be curious to see any evidence for Velious era resist rates though. I think people may be exaggerating the difference.
Old 03-17-2018, 05:24 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Torven [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I would be curious to see any evidence for Velious era resist rates though. I think people may be exaggerating the difference.
Hmm. You could actually be right here. For example, the page on juggernaughts suggests they aren't very resistant http://everquest.allakhazam.com/db/n...0&p=2#comments So maybe P99 is just overtuned on the mob resists. Either way, I do think the TAKP dungeons are just not challenging enough.

I don't want to give the impression that TAKP is a bad server! It's hilarious to read the same thread over and over again in RNF about people cockblocked by A/A bitching about the raid scene when TAKP is rotated.
Old 03-18-2018, 12:48 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by w0k [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
solid aesthetic decisions for a space tend to weed out chaff.

population is actually ideal. 3box limit keeps things sane without boxing your ears. it's far, far more classic. by far the best emu : )
You know an easy way to "weed out the chaff"? Play on your own private server, and then you can box a whole raid! [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]

Personally though I'm a fan of the "aesthetic decisions" made about the original EQ game, and that game was about players on one account each working together to achieve things, not one player manically ALT+TAB-ing between account.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caiu [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Just not challenging in what sense? When I'm three boxing myself and doing everything perfectly I doubt in the same zone p99 would be any different. Relying in other humans on TAKP it gives that same P99 inefficiency. The only difference is that one server has that as permitted behaviour.
Boxing EverQuest is a different game, plain and simple. It's not the game most of us played on live, but there's also nothing wrong with it: it's great that Takp lets people play that game.

However, for most people here playing the single-account game that we played on live years ago matters more for embracing our nostalgia than a hundred "light blue mobs now con green" fixes ... even people like me who boxed on live.

Personally I just wish there was a server with P99's quality and single-account focus, but that let everyone play other classic (in the English sense of the word, not the P99-sense) EverQuest expansions like Luclin and PoP.

Loramin Frostseer, Oracle of the Tribunal <Anonymous> and Fan of the "Where To Go For XP/For Treasure?" Guides
Anyone can improve the wiki! If you are new to the Blue server, you can improve the wiki to earn a "welcome package" of up to 2k+ platinum! Message me for details.
Last edited by loramin; 03-18-2018 at 12:53 PM..
Old 03-18-2018, 01:16 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by loramin [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Personally though I'm a fan of the "aesthetic decisions" made about the original EQ game,
you mean scroll-wheeling wow controls on a sluggish client w infravision for all??
Old 03-19-2018, 07:50 PM
Kobold

enjoying my time on takp - server has changed - lots of friendly people, seeing a rise in new players and a rise in single boxers. the client has that classic feel. luclin to be released sometime this year. worth checking out if its just to make an account and say Hi. have fun!!
Old 03-19-2018, 09:27 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by w0k [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
you mean scroll-wheeling wow controls on a sluggish client w infravision for all??
Those are mechanical decisions. The effects of infravision could be considered aesthetics, but the idea of giving that feature to all races, which they didn't do, would either be game mechanics or could be considered a conceptual decision. Also, "sluggish" is the last word I'd use to describe the TAKP client since it's much more lightweight and orders of magnitude faster than the Titanium client.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Secrets [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
It's possibly the greatest preservation project of a server that no longer exists. Definitely check it out.
It's interesting that we're now crossing into meta-emulation territory with TAKP, which is essentially an emulation of an emulated server, but I suppose you could just call it a reproduction of the EQMac server being that many of the same developers are involved. This also frees up the development staff to less rigorous standards - they can afford to sort of make things up as they go along since they were never promising the ultimate replication of classic esoterica that P99 offers. It seems like an exchange of information could be incredibly fruitful towards that end, though - I'm now imagining a joint server between the two projects offering the best of both worlds.

I'm definitely rooting for you in the resurrection of the Trilogy client, but I'm skeptical about integration - I'm going to guess that a ton of what P99 does is hinged tightly to the Titanium client, and even making a different era client available as an option would require a painstaking overhaul. It also makes me wonder what kind of CSR nightmares would arise in its wake. Perhaps that's a problem best left to the future staff of P99 Green, featuring the all-classic Trilogy client.
Old 03-19-2018, 11:53 PM
Banned

infravision scroll wheel refers to p99 paul

takp is alright but the mooing guy has to go really shameful for an adult
Closed Thread