Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > General Community > Technical Discussion

Old 05-22-2018, 03:24 PM
Orc

Default Intel 4400 performance

Anyone play on Intel graphics? I'm considering a laptop with a 4th gen CPU (Lenovo t440s) or an older one with a dedicated GPU around a similar price. I'm liking the Lenovo due to size. I know EQ will run on about anything but I am particularly curious if the intel 4400 graphics and the performance. I'd use win eq2 like I do now on my desktop.
Old 05-27-2018, 01:55 PM
Orc

Well in case anyone does a search, here's my results. I did end up buying This Lenovo T440s. i7, 1080 screen 12GB RAM, 256SSD etc. I copied my EQ folder from my desktop and installed Win EQ2 and just launched it without changing anything.

The game opened fine. Performance was a bit poor so I did turn down most things like spell particles and sky and all that. I had to bump up the gamma because it was excessively dark.

EC is chunky to be expected but soloing on my mage in WK is just fine. Around 30 FPS and the laptop isn't really breaking a sweat, not hot, no crashing after about an hour.

Something with a dedicated GPU will obviously be better but for a super light and compact option that was pretty cheap I'd say it's fine.
Old 05-27-2018, 02:13 PM
Fire Giant

Try to let the game create a new eqclient.ini file, just rename it and it will create a new file when you start the game again. The old video card settings mess with the game and cause really bad frame rate. I was thinking about picking up a lower end laptop with the intel hd 620 integrated graphics, but the one you have is an i7 and should run reasonably well especially when the one you showed running at 720p resolution.
Old 10-18-2019, 10:50 AM
Sarnak

Quote:
Originally Posted by evilkorn [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Try to let the game create a new eqclient.ini file, just rename it and it will create a new file when you start the game again. The old video card settings mess with the game and cause really bad frame rate. I was thinking about picking up a lower end laptop with the intel hd 620 integrated graphics, but the one you have is an i7 and should run reasonably well especially when the one you showed running at 720p resolution.
THIS POST saved me from regretting buying my new laptop.
My laptop has these specs:
HP Notebook 17-by0032no
Screen: 17,3" HD+ (1600 x 900)
Processor: Intel Pentium Gold 4417U (2,3 GHz, 2 cores, 2 Mb cache)
RAM: 4 GB DDR4 2400 MHz (1 x 4 GB)
Drive: 256 GB PCIe NVMe M.2 SSD
Graphics: Intel UHD Graphics 610

And I was lagging like crazy in EC and a bit in low-populated zones as well. Everything I read about this was pointing towards the integrated graphics card, so I was planning to return the laptop and get one with a dedicated graphics card.
I found your post, I backed up and renamed my eqclient file, let the game create a new one and BOOM - it's like night and day. NO lagging what so ever in EC.

Thank you. Thank you.
Old 10-18-2019, 11:32 AM
Planar Protector

That card should be fine, my laptop is running on an intel 3000 integrated chip on a late 2011 macbook without any issues. I've never used win eq though.
Old 10-18-2019, 03:44 PM
Fire Giant

Quote:
Originally Posted by scifo76 [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
THIS POST saved me from regretting buying my new laptop.
My laptop has these specs:
HP Notebook 17-by0032no
Screen: 17,3" HD+ (1600 x 900)
Processor: Intel Pentium Gold 4417U (2,3 GHz, 2 cores, 2 Mb cache)
RAM: 4 GB DDR4 2400 MHz (1 x 4 GB)
Drive: 256 GB PCIe NVMe M.2 SSD
Graphics: Intel UHD Graphics 610

And I was lagging like crazy in EC and a bit in low-populated zones as well. Everything I read about this was pointing towards the integrated graphics card, so I was planning to return the laptop and get one with a dedicated graphics card.
I found your post, I backed up and renamed my eqclient file, let the game create a new one and BOOM - it's like night and day. NO lagging what so ever in EC.

Thank you. Thank you.
You're welcome [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Post was so old I was wondering what the PM was in reference to lol.
Old 10-18-2019, 04:57 PM
Sarnak

Quote:
Originally Posted by evilkorn [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
You're welcome [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Post was so old I was wondering what the PM was in reference to lol.
Yeah, I can image [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
But seriously, this solution could save tons of frustrated players a lot of time and money. I know many players who have simply copied/pasted their entire P99 folder onto a new computer, and apparently this can cause insane frame rate headaches. And when people do research, they bump into quick solutions such as "the integrated graphics card is your problem", when it could be enough to simply let the game create a fresh eqclient.ini file.