Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > General Community > Off Topic

Closed Thread

Old 05-09-2016, 06:26 PM
Planar Protector

Exclamation L3 Sliced on the Northeast Coast, millions of businesses affected (check in here)

Potential cyber terror attack just struck tonight. Details are scant, as the corporation is giving limited information as they don't have exact details.

What I was able to 100% confirm from the provider (Cox Communications) is that the L3 was physically damaged intentionally and cut in half by someone who had access to the line. Hundreds of businesses in the Northeast are without email on a Monday night (huge business week)

Check in here with your service provider, your general location (east coast is fine no need to get specific) and whether you are able to resolve www.google.com, www.youtube.com, www.gmail.com, www.wikipedia.org, etc. or any other essential service.

google is being used as the gold standard DNS for determining whether your area is affected, but confirming youtube also helps solidify.

There is no ETA on the line repair as this is the first time this has happened to an L3 DNS node.

PKer & Master Trainer and Terrorist of Sullon Zek
Kills: 1278, Deaths: 76, Killratio: 16.82
Last edited by AzzarTheGod; 05-09-2016 at 06:28 PM..
Old 05-09-2016, 09:46 PM
Aviak

Where are you reading it was an intentional fiber cut? Everything ive read sounds like its just a regular old fiber cut... this happens all the time, unfortunately. Maybe not so much for backbone but it can still if some jackwagon is out with a backhoe.....
Old 05-09-2016, 10:08 PM
Fire Giant

http://www.nydailynews.com/new-york/...0881?cid=bitly

Already fixed..... Nobody has said intentional from what I've seen.
Old 05-10-2016, 05:13 AM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackFlash [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
http://www.nydailynews.com/new-york/...0881?cid=bitly

Already fixed..... Nobody has said intentional from what I've seen.
its a matter of national security its classified and being kept under wraps.

the info I got was from level 3 support after being on the phone for a few hours.

Old 05-10-2016, 07:49 AM
Planar Protector

You sure the support wasn't from... India? [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Could be, but best to check things out first. I tend to just not trust support over the phone, but that's just me.
Old 05-10-2016, 08:34 AM
Planar Protector

Did they try disconnecting it and connecting it again? (India customer service)
Old 05-10-2016, 08:35 AM
Fire Giant

Quote:
Originally Posted by AzzarTheGod [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
its a matter of national security its classified and being kept under wraps.

the info I got was from level 3 support after being on the phone for a few hours.
I'm sure they gave you the "classified" lowdown. Thank goodness.
Old 05-10-2016, 09:15 AM
Fire Giant

Street construction backbone cuts happen all of the time. I work for the biggest carrier network in the world, we saw impact from this, but a single L3 DNS node is not the end of the world. We live and work in a redundant world of redundancy world.

Intentional? Possibly...that happens all of the time as well. We usually see 5-10 cases a year that we can pin and prove on sabotage.

Years like this year where the CWA strike, and then leave the picket line to drive home in their Mercedes, it can climb 10 fold..people are dumb.
Old 05-10-2016, 04:53 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daywolf [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
You sure the support wasn't from... India? [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Could be, but best to check things out first. I tend to just not trust support over the phone, but that's just me.
My provider uses 100% domestic customer service from the USA. Mostly midwest and southern from what I gathered chatting with them.

Never spoke to an Indian in my life. Never even heard so much as an accent in over 5 years with the company, not even a Spanish person. Not a hint of minority. I use them for both business and home.

Is that what you Time-Warner people deal with? Comcast too? I'd never pay for that kind of service.

Old 05-10-2016, 05:00 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by gildor [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]

Intentional? Possibly...that happens all of the time as well. We usually see 5-10 cases a year that we can pin and prove on sabotage.
This particular cut hit only Google services. Yahoo and other competitors services surged in use during the outage (which was short-lived, a few hours, before Google had a reroute).

It struck during primetime, after construction and work day hours were over.

Its being called a cyber terror attack on underground tech discussion forums for the aforementioned reasons and apparent specificity of the targeting. They resolved a list of available DNS against a list of competitors which came out looking very suspicious. This DNS node carried all the big dogs and didn't hurt a single small dog.

Closed Thread