Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Green Community > Green Server Chat

Old 05-08-2022, 10:54 PM
Kobold

Quote:
Originally Posted by PlsNoBan [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
You really think you want to be in classic on a TLP for a YEAR? I'm pretty god damn casual these days and 3 months already feels like too long. I can't fathom the level of casual you'd have to be to not be bored playing a full year of classic TLP
Hmm, Let's say you were just starting college when EQ came out and you read about it in some magazine (when they still made print magazines). You thought to yourself, this sounds sort of like D&D. Where level 7 was almost unheard of. Nonetheless, D&D was a fun game you played as a kid.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-leYc4oC83E

This EQ thing also sort of sounds like some PK muds you were getting destroyed on when you had time to play them. (many of them still around btw with less pop. than red sadly)

So you bought the disks back in 1999 or whatever and spent a day or so between classes in that odd tutorial as Soandso. You played, when time allowed, and you were around level 10 when someone somewhere woke the Sleeper and then you got bored or married or some sort of combination of the two and 20 years later you read about how horrible the P99 server population is but you play anyway.

Now you're on P99 and it's taken you about a 3 months or so to get to level 10 again, because as fun as EQ is, you still get bored and are still married but maybe someday you'll hit level 20.

That's the sort of folks who might play a server that doesn't fast forward every two days. I mean more power to those who blast through the game in an hour but I'd rather go fishing with the kids and every once in a while walk through this wonderful museum and play this still very cool game with folks in similar circumstances.

TLDR. EQ at its best is a journey.
Old 05-09-2022, 02:38 AM
Aviak

I just can't get into the idea of the progression server. It always feels like I'm missing the point of the game if I'm just blasting through content to the endgame. I like the exploration, the grouping in favorite zones and dungeons, and in general just a more chill atmosphere to the game. It seems like the progression servers are just a "get to raiding as fast as possible and then quit" sort of experience. But a slow progression server...I like that idea. Would like to eventually see space kittens again.
Old 05-09-2022, 02:45 AM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by tadkins [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
the new Freeport kinda grows on you after a while.
How dare you
Old 05-09-2022, 05:49 AM
Fire Giant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tethler [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
How dare you
Given the choice, would I take the older one? Sure.

But as it stands, do I deal with a weirder Freeport in exchange for an inclusive and casual-viable raiding scene? Or do I take the older Freeport and have to deal with the extremely toxic, hyper-competitive, depressing raiding scene here? Those are my two choices and the former is far more appealing right now.
Old 05-09-2022, 09:48 AM
Fire Giant

Updated Toxx is just as bad as Freeport if not worse.
Old 05-09-2022, 09:58 AM
Kobold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jibartik [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
[You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
deupdated FP, crappy version of FP! lol
Old 05-09-2022, 10:21 AM
Planar Protector

I wonder how we would have felt about the new Freeport if it was the original Freeport and the old one we all know and love was the revamp?

I can't play live TLP because of the zone revamps. They're not what I remember and love.
Old 05-09-2022, 10:44 AM
Kobold

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrSparkle001 [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I wonder how we would have felt about the new Freeport if it was the original Freeport and the old one we all know and love was the revamp?

I can't play live TLP because of the zone revamps. They're not what I remember and love.
i dont like the revamps, but most of the revamp zones arnt zones im in longer than to just run through so isnt game breaking.
Old 05-09-2022, 02:24 PM
Banned

Nobody likes the new zones. It's a matter of choosing between giant douche and turd sandwich. What would you prefer? A: Ugly revamped zones that hardly anyone actually spends time in (except commons I guess) or B: p99 endgame and all its ridiculousness

I think a lot more people are choosing A tbh
Old 05-09-2022, 02:45 PM
Fire Giant

Quote:
Originally Posted by PlsNoBan [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Nobody likes the new zones. It's a matter of choosing between giant douche and turd sandwich. What would you prefer? A: Ugly revamped zones that hardly anyone actually spends time in (except commons I guess) or B: p99 endgame and all its ridiculousness

I think a lot more people are choosing A tbh
C: play p99 and ignore the end game.
I raid a bit on p99 and have almost no experiences with the toxic part of the raid community,as I avoid the overly competitive stuff. I have no interest in it.