Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > General Community > Starting Zone

Old 06-22-2022, 09:09 AM
Scrawny Gnoll

Default Want to go evil

Hey all, back after a hiatus and I want to roll a new toon on blue. I'm thinking I'd like to try going evil since I almost never do.

I'm debating between a Necromancer, Magician, and Shadow Knight. Most interested in playing a Dark elf, Erudite or Human. Don't much care about min/max, just wanna have some fun. Anybody have a good experience playing one of those combos and can share some insight? Any deity preference or one I should stay away from?
Old 06-22-2022, 10:36 AM
Orc

I've played almost exclusively evil characters; DEF WAR and TRL SHM. I love Neriak and Dark Elves, I think the Necro/SK guild pagoda is one of the best flavor spots in the old world. I don't love Paineel or Erudite models. I think Human's are fun but using sewers loses its charm for me. HUM and ERU SK's get Flayed Skin armor which is cool and cheapish. Mage doesn't scream evil to me unless you're RPing it like, enslaving the elements or w/e. I vote DE Necro spreading Innoruuk's hateful embrace all over Norrath.
Old 06-22-2022, 10:39 AM
Orc

Also if you've never rolled Iksar its worth trying. I dunno if they're more evil but they're certainly more hated. Only consideration here is that Ikky SK's can't wear a lot of Plate.
Old 06-22-2022, 11:54 AM
Kobold

Hey Jorvaar,

I just leveled a Mage up to 48 in the last month and wanted to share some of my opinions. Although I won't say they are not fun from 1-40, they fall off pretty hard. The main reason for this is lack of CC, and P99s decisions in shaping the current version of the Mage.

Whether these changes are true to classic I'm not sure, but I can't wrap my head around the design decisions. Your one CC, your pet, is locked behind research for a significant number of levels. This was a minor quibble to me until 44. I have been unable to find, or buy, the materials needed to make that pet.

It caused me to burn out pretty hard reaching 48, especially once the people I "grew up" with out leveled me.

High recommend if you are going pet class to go Necromancer or Enchanter.
Old 06-22-2022, 05:06 PM
Scrawny Gnoll

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spithridates [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I've played almost exclusively evil characters; DEF WAR and TRL SHM. I love Neriak and Dark Elves, I think the Necro/SK guild pagoda is one of the best flavor spots in the old world. I don't love Paineel or Erudite models. I think Human's are fun but using sewers loses its charm for me. HUM and ERU SK's get Flayed Skin armor which is cool and cheapish. Mage doesn't scream evil to me unless you're RPing it like, enslaving the elements or w/e. I vote DE Necro spreading Innoruuk's hateful embrace all over Norrath.
Thanks for the feedback. I like the idea of a DE Necro as well. I hear what you mean about the sewers with Humans too.
Old 06-22-2022, 05:08 PM
Scrawny Gnoll

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loiterius [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Hey Jorvaar,

I just leveled a Mage up to 48 in the last month and wanted to share some of my opinions. Although I won't say they are not fun from 1-40, they fall off pretty hard. The main reason for this is lack of CC, and P99s decisions in shaping the current version of the Mage.

Whether these changes are true to classic I'm not sure, but I can't wrap my head around the design decisions. Your one CC, your pet, is locked behind research for a significant number of levels. This was a minor quibble to me until 44. I have been unable to find, or buy, the materials needed to make that pet.

It caused me to burn out pretty hard reaching 48, especially once the people I "grew up" with out leveled me.

High recommend if you are going pet class to go Necromancer or Enchanter.
Thank you for the insight. I was honestly a bit worried about that with a mage. I was also worried about evil faction messing with quest opportunities because I read it somewhere at some point. I'll stick with Necro in that case. Really appreciate you two weighing in.
Old 06-22-2022, 07:19 PM
Planar Protector

"evil/good" is virtually irrelevant in eq. Hope that helps.
Old 06-22-2022, 08:43 PM
Planar Protector

tell that to the women and children the cult of bertoxx killed when they poisoned the city water supply for no other reason than to kill the women and children.
Old 06-22-2022, 09:18 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jorvaar [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Hey all, back after a hiatus and I want to roll a new toon on blue. I'm thinking I'd like to try going evil since I almost never do.

I'm debating between a Necromancer, Magician, and Shadow Knight. Most interested in playing a Dark elf, Erudite or Human. Don't much care about min/max, just wanna have some fun. Anybody have a good experience playing one of those combos and can share some insight? Any deity preference or one I should stay away from?
Dark Elf Necromancer is your best choice, min-maxxers will tell you Iksar because of the regen. Lizards are hideous and always will be, they looked completely foreign when Kunark originally released. Indeed, one of the first examples of a MMORPG shitting on its existing players by releasing an OP character/race selection to the noobs.
Old 06-22-2022, 10:15 PM
Fire Giant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jorvaar [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]

I don't have any recommendations except to do it! I only played good races on live so I went evil here and it's been fun! You'll learn about vendors you didn't know existed, ways into and out of towns that you didn't know about, new quests etc.

Ultimately it's pretty inconsequential but to me it was a lot of fun to see something new.