Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Class Discussions > Melee

Closed Thread

Old 11-23-2016, 01:57 AM
Decaying Skeleton

Question Bard Kiting

I've seen lots of guides and post about bard swarm kiting. One article a read was pretty much a long rant about how horrible it is. While it may be an effective way to lvl am I going to be making my fellow players angry by doing it?
Old 11-23-2016, 03:50 AM
Aviak

Your fellow players may be angry regardless. I've never received such vicious, unwarranted tells playing any other class. I'm afraid there's been dangerous precedent set by enough bards that people feel justified pouring scorn upon you for merely existing in the same zone as them.

That being said, you should still kite if you feel like it but consider the following guidelines:
1) resist the urge to be a dick to people harassing you in tells. They're sitting there, waiting on mana/hp, and they've got nothing better to do. You know no such thing as downtime, and it's really not worth it getting worked up over some guy that's been wronged by another bard before.
2) although the xp is likely great even capped at 25 mobs, do spend time grouping periodically. No one has any use for a 50s bard that doesn't know how to group. You're doing yourself a disservice not using the class to its full potential.
3) keep track of all your mobs, periodically bunch them up and don't drag them over other people. Although often unnoticed by others this helps keep people alive.
4) sometimes people will pull mobs off your train, this is okay. 20some mobs is still just fine. As a bonus, if they're particularly upset they might do something silly like punch your train of chickens and immediately be pulverized. It's probably fine to smile and even laugh barbarously IRL, but again, don't be a dick about it in game.
5) pay for rezzes if you do accidentally train someone. Money/xp can be generated very easily as a bard, so it doesn't matter much to you in the long run. It matters a whole lot to other players. Although they might still be upset about it (and rightfully so, death out of nowhere is never fun) the rezz will help minimize your negative impact on their leveling.

Just go out there and play the game, try everything there is to try as a bard, have fun, learn a lot, and don't be a dick to others. The class is tremendously powerful both solo and in a group setting. If you are a decent human being while barding others can and will have fun playing the game with you.
Old 11-23-2016, 02:05 PM
Fire Giant

Screw anyone who complains about bard kiting. I've been playing here forever, have leveled numerous characters and have never had an issue with bards, even back when their kite size was unlimited. There are literally a handful of zone that lend themselves to bard kiting, while there are a plethora of zone that offer great exp with zero bards. Anyone sitting in OT crying about bards kiting needs to reevaluate their own decisions.

Don't be a dick, don't train people, and if someone snipes a mob out of your kite don't stress it. Anyone who gives you shit for kiting or simply being a bard has issues and isn't someone you want to interact with anyway.
Old 11-23-2016, 06:39 PM
Fire Giant

Personally, I hate swarming bards because 1) They take too many mobs and 2) They take too much time. 10 minutes to gather up everything then 10 minutes to AE it down then ~10mins for everything to respawn means some zones like OT are barren. You're putting an entire zone's worth of people at your mercy/incredibly slow play style. Couple this with the overwhelmingly casual playstyle of p99ers (many play for 2-3 hours per week), you're going to piss people off.

Mained a bard on live, played/raided religiously from Kunark to PoP. Love bards, love what they could be, absolutely loathe them on p99. Truly a shame since its such a unique class in the scope of MMOs.

There's some great bards out there, but you aren't going to learn your class just by swarm kiting. Get out there in a group and learn to tank/CC/pull/do all the things that make Bards amazing to have around.
Last edited by Crawdad; 11-23-2016 at 06:46 PM..
Old 11-23-2016, 08:39 PM
Sarnak

I seem to recall a patch on live at one point in which Bard DoTs were reduced significantly if a mob was moving - effectively nerfing swarm kiting.

I'd be all in favour of that here *IF* they implemented /melody as compensation.
In fact, I'd roll a Bard tomorrow if that were the case.
Old 11-23-2016, 08:59 PM
Kobold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aaramis [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I seem to recall a patch on live at one point in which Bard DoTs were reduced significantly if a mob was moving - effectively nerfing swarm kiting.
Semantics and probably different per server but, swarming on live used about half a dozen mobs +/- a few and charm. Not sure why folks here adopted the term for aoe kiting.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crawdad [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Mained a bard on live, played/raided religiously from Kunark to PoP. Love bards, love what they could be, absolutely loathe them on p99. Truly a shame since its such a unique class in the scope of MMOs.
Just about same as me. I'd play one here if real swarm kiting worked, not this aoe crap.
Last edited by Wiley; 11-23-2016 at 09:01 PM..
Old 11-23-2016, 10:23 PM
Fire Giant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wiley [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Semantics and probably different per server but, swarming on live used about half a dozen mobs +/- a few and charm. Not sure why folks here adopted the term for aoe kiting.

Just about same as me. I'd play one here if real swarm kiting worked, not this aoe crap.
Yeah that's what I remember you'd have a swarm aggroed and charm one -- they would all turn on that one let it get low and break it etc.
Old 11-25-2016, 06:21 PM
Orc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wiley [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]

What you are referring to is usually referred to as charm kiting. Swarm kiting instead, is usually referred to as gathering a large amount of mobs and using pbaoe dot songs to kill them. Swarm kiting was utilized on live as well, and gained popularity from Luclin and onward (esp in LoY). However, due to hardware and connection limitations, it wasn't as popular per server as it is on p99. Swarm kiting after the 25 mob limit change isn't as great as it use to be of course. However, killing 25 mobs dark blue con or higher mobs in 20 minutes solo is still top tier XP level 18+.

Obviously, there's zone etiquette that should be taken into consideration should you not want to ruin your reputation with other players. Though I have never personally ran into issues, I am fairly confident that GMs will not rule in your favor should other players decide to "KS"/root/fear/etc. mobs in your swarm, or even train you.

As far as charm kiting, it does work on p99. It is a little finicky at times in how long it can take before mobs aggro/reaggro on the charmed mob, but it does work, and is very effective with solid technique and in the proper environments.

Lastly, the techniques used in both swarm and charm kiting are applicable in other areas of the game - namely unconventional - but effective CC (Kiting:PoSky island 2 imp protectors, PoH, PoF, any large/open area with mostly melee mobs, etc.) and smoothing out/salvaging nasty pulls using charm kiting techniques to offload initial aggro and then following up with mezzing). Also, strafe running is an excellent habit that will be picked up using either method.

If you can practice swarm/charm kiting w/o becoming a zonewide XP blackhole to others in the area, then I certainly recommend getting a good feel for both techniques. Charm kiting especially, should begin to open your cognitive doors and get you thinking outside of the box. Out of the box thinking on bard will really open your eyes to how powerful the class is and significantly increase your success in the grouping scene.

<Niroza 60 Bard>
<Adianez 54 Shadow Knight>
Old 11-25-2016, 07:00 PM
Kobold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Niroz [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
What you are referring to is usually referred to as charm kiting. Swarm kiting instead, is usually referred to as gathering a large amount of mobs and using pbaoe dot songs to kill them.
Depends on the server maybe? Swarm kiting on live till PoP ish was what we called using a "swarm" of mobs to beat down a charmed mob.

Again the preferred nomenclature per server varied I'm sure, it's a silly debate but it's a pet peeve hearing the term swarm when people talk about aoe kiting.
Last edited by Wiley; 11-25-2016 at 07:02 PM..
Old 11-25-2016, 07:23 PM
Kobold

Quote:
Originally Posted by DevonMeep [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I've seen lots of guides and post about bard swarm kiting. One article a read was pretty much a long rant about how horrible it is. While it may be an effective way to lvl am I going to be making my fellow players angry by doing it?
Sorry for derailing OP, really only gonna make people mad if you pull whole zones during primetime and get snippy in chat.

I aoe kited 18-30 in LOIO and never had a complaint, I kept my pulls under 20 mobs (partially due to latency) and avoided the common exp areas.
Closed Thread