Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Red Community > Red Server Chat

Closed Thread

Old 11-21-2019, 10:17 AM
Fire Giant

Quote:
Originally Posted by heartbrand [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
EverQuest PvP, at least in my humble opinion, is so fun and unique because of how unpredictable it is. The constant threat that at any moment while you're busy farming an item or a camp for EXP that some badass can show up while you're nearly OOM and finishing your kill and start raining nukes upon you. It keeps you constantly spamming /who, scrolling out and looking around, etc. Being on edge the second you see some unknown name enter the zone. Who is he? What level is he? Is he friend or foe?

This is what made the launch so exciting [despite the 10000 fuck ups], and kept me playing.

What is not particularly exciting is scheduled tournaments, and arena EQ. This is not a great PvP game for that format. These garageboxes that try to make EQ into counterstrike: kaladim edition are missing the whole point of what makes EQ PvP great to begin with.

My 2 shekels.
Exactly. Which is also why its important to resist ezmode changes like fast xp. The mechanics we need are mechanics that keep people in the game xping and farming. The nonsense of "I hate PVE I just want to PVP" drives me crazy. There is no meaningful PvP without keeping people in the world PvEing as much as possible.

Also why I was very disappointed to see xp loss on pvp death removed while keeping the global xp bonus, and worked as hard as I could to fix exploits or bugs that made xp easier (town mobs with missing faction so guards did not assist them, mobs with too fast of a respawn time, mobs missing certain resists or flagged as the wrong archetype, etc).

A new red needs to be even more hardcore than green/teal. Hopefully we don't have faster npc respawn on launch and luckily already have no item recharging.
Last edited by Palemoon; 11-21-2019 at 10:26 AM..
Old 11-21-2019, 11:38 AM
Banned

Revert golem wands and nuke clickies

Make everything exactly classic
Old 11-21-2019, 12:23 PM
Planar Protector

I agree with slow exp. The game is most fun while you're doing the journey. That's where the majority of PvP happens, player interaction happens, etc. I don't know about the exp loss part. It wasn't a big deal in classic, but in Kunark it was absolutely brutal as each PvP death could cost you potentially 2 hours of grinding, which was a huge disincentive to engaging in PvP.

Edit: I agree that there needs to be a "penalty" to dying to prevent griefers who suffer no loss in failed attempts at PvP; but I'm not convinced the exp loss the way we had it is the correct way. Item loss can provide that sting.
Last edited by heartbrand; 11-21-2019 at 12:26 PM..
Old 11-21-2019, 01:15 PM
Fire Giant

Item loss would hurt much more than a little xp loss. Remember the original server bonus was added to compensate for the xp loss on pvp death (basically mimicking the mechanic that Sullon Zek had).

Now if you say it took two hours of grinding to get it back in kunark then maybe the amount could be tweaked but also thats two hours more in a dungeon for yet more in-the-world action. Yet more fighting over better grind spots and grouping with people who still needed to level, new people, whatever. Was the xp loss so big it was a disincentive to pvp no matter what? It should be balanced as a risk you are willing to take for zone or camp control then, not just flushed down the toilet.

We remember what happened instead? "Oh im 60 now so ill just log on for raids" ghost town. And lets just zerg rush the fear portal over and over, who cares how many times I die in pvp.
Old 11-21-2019, 02:55 PM
Sarnak

I think exp loss on pvp death was the worst thing implemented on Red99. Item loss is really harsh too. I think item loss is harsh enough to where it has the power to actually shape how the server treats each other. It kind of forces the anti pk vs pk mentality that doesn't exist on these emus. I like the idea of looting 1 item not equipped that RoZ adopted. It feels like a happy medium.

I'm also a fan of the slower exp to give the server something extra for players to enjoy besides end game raiding. Some people just like playing the mid game and making a bunch of alts.
Old 11-21-2019, 03:06 PM
Banned

Slow xp, item loot and xp on pvp death would result in a sub 50 pop server 1 month after release, and everyone playing wizards and druids.

While a stricter penalty for dying in PvP isnt a bad idea, we're no longer 13 years old playing EQ in mom and dads house where losing 2 hrs of play time to some wizard pressing a nuke button twice from some ledge he hides on would not float with most of the player base.

If you want a server like that you end up with a player base like the Qtips of the world where they spend 95% of their time playing a class that is OP in it's sub-maxlevel PvP range refusing to level to a range that diminishes their classes' capacity.

Strictly speaking you want a server for ^ reasons.
Old 11-21-2019, 03:27 PM
Banned

Slow xp, item loot, no xp loss on PVP death, no YT (make visible to staff for logging / enforcement purposes), no serverwide channels

Just as Brad intended

The vztz crowd had their turn and it was bad
Old 11-21-2019, 04:08 PM
Banned

A slower xp (maybe 50% the bonus Red had), no xp on death and no YT would be fun, also I think an item loot from bag wouldn't be too bad of an idea in dungeon zones only just to add a little more zing to PvPing in dungeons.

Potential to pick up an item that dropped from a mob stashed away in that soloin enchanters bag in PvP.

Nothing to harsh.
Old 11-21-2019, 04:11 PM
Banned

Theory crafting aside -

I would play any ruleset they bring out.
Old 11-21-2019, 05:31 PM
Aviak

Quote:
Originally Posted by White_knight [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Theory crafting aside -

I would play any ruleset they bring out.
Haha yes... who are we kidding... we'd play anything for that sweet fresh pvp server start experience. Nothing beats that.
Closed Thread