Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Class Discussions > Priests

Closed Thread

Old 07-06-2017, 06:13 PM
Large Rat

Default Druids and tanking

Back in the day my main was a druid. I got him to level 58. I had 7 other characters but the druid was my favorite. Back then someone in a guide said that by level 25 a druids tanking days were over and they are pure casters. Any mob worth descent experience would clean a druids clock in a toe to toe fight and I believed it. So I mostly did kiting and root/rotting. I like to solo.

But now I'm thinking that's not necessarily true. My druid is now level 25 and I'm playing in Lake of Ill Omen. There's a particular mob, a Goblin Soothsayer, that has been giving me a hard time. Root/rotting doesn't work with them because they also have nukes and dots. And debuffs and a root. I can take them down but it takes a lot out of me and recovery time is long. It's not very time efficient so I decided to leave them alone.

I was pulling a skeleton when I bumped into a Soothsayer. Well now I had 2 on me so I figured I should run. That Soothsayer followed me around the whole damn zone. Turns out he had SoW too. He rooted me before I could find a way out so I had to fight. I was surprised to find out that a combination of magic and wailing on him with my club was pretty effective. Even though my hit points and mana were down from the start it wasn't that hard to beat him. Not only that I gained a point in defense which means my AC went up by 1 point.

I checked my level cap and found I had 13 more defense points to gain, which means 13 more AC. So now I'm going to get into more knock down drag outs to bring up my defense. I kinda like the idea of having a tough druid. I don't think this will work with all mobs. I was probably successful because as a shaman the goblin was a little on the squishy side. Should probably stick to root/rotting with the warrior types.

What I was wondering is, will there be a time, at some higher level that this won't work any more? At some point in my 30's or 40's or what ever will I'll have to stop doing this. What do you guys think?
Old 07-06-2017, 06:15 PM
Fire Giant

Damage shield and a fungi goes a long way.
Old 07-06-2017, 06:20 PM
Large Rat

Yeah, I forgot about the damage shield. That should make a big difference. Thanks.
Old 07-07-2017, 02:55 PM
Planar Protector

My guess is that shaman spent most of the fight trying to cast on you, which made tanking him easier. I wouldn't expect it for every fight.
Old 07-07-2017, 03:07 PM
Planar Protector

The thing that's wrong here is that you're approaching dealing with casters as if they're non-casters/melees. The soothslayer is a caster, though, so you have to take a different strategy other than root rotting or kiting. It would actually be more mana efficient for you to just nuke him. You're going to out-nuke him every time because he's going to mix in other spells, but as long as you focus on nuke nuke nuking, you'll win.
Also its pretty hard not to post after you.. not because you have a stimulating(sic), but because you are constantly patrolling RnF and filling it with your spam.
Old 07-07-2017, 05:29 PM
Large Rat

I'm sure you're right about nuking. I'm tanking (with a dot and nukes as necessary) the casters right now to increase my defense. It's gone up by 5 points which has given me 16 more points of AC. The question is will there be a level where I won't be able to do this any more? Will all mobs be too tough? Anybody know?
Old 07-07-2017, 05:43 PM
Planar Protector

One of the determining factor is level difference for what will give you experience and how hard they can hit you. As you go up in level, the level range grows (it's basically 2/3's of your level). So you'll be able to keep doing it as long as you find targets on the lowest range of your experience window. At level 30, find something level 20. At level 45, find something level 30, and at level 60, find something level 40. You would be able to tank those the easiest.
Also its pretty hard not to post after you.. not because you have a stimulating(sic), but because you are constantly patrolling RnF and filling it with your spam.
Old 07-07-2017, 11:01 PM
Planar Protector

Pretty quickly I think the tanking will no longer be an option, probably early 30's, unless you really stack the HP. Druids don't get great AC gear, their Defense skills up dreadfully slow, their dodge caps at 75, they don't get block or parry or riposte, they only get to swing one weapon at a time that comes with lower damage caps.
Old 07-08-2017, 04:19 AM
Planar Protector

If you keep on top of your defence skill and keep ac/hp in mind you should be able to facetanknukespam through the late 30s. As per Sam's notes you my need to fight mobs that are further and further from white con in order to do so.

My wizard used this strategy to kill gnolls in South Karana. I found binding in South Qeynos beneficial as it allowed me to hand in gnoll scrolls to nicely supplement my xp.

I'm sure you can tweak the strategy on a druid to be a bit more elegant than just spamming nukes as fast as they refresh [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.].
Old 07-08-2017, 09:53 AM
Planar Protector

Damage shields are the most efficient damage per mana of any spells in the game for the classes that can cast them well (druid and mage).

39 druid thorns is 100 mana to cast for a 14 DS that lasts 4 minutes. If you get 10 hits a minute it works out to 5.5 damage per mana - more efficient than the level 34 quad spell. The question is whether or not you can survive the hits and whether the healing required allows for the efficiency to actually matter. This all boils down to gear. Obviously insane items like Fungi change the game entirely at the low to medium end. Items with high ac help a ton. Druid defense caps at 200 (lv 39). With a dodge of 75 and defense at cap ... reasonable gear ... it's a viable strategy though probably not the most efficient.

My druid is about to turn 40. I will probably pause there for a hot minute to get defense up to 200 and use the DS as a means of killing. After that - it will probably take a nose dive.
https://www.project1999.com/forums/s...43&postcount=2

Closed Thread