Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Class Discussions > Priests

Closed Thread

Old 04-24-2015, 09:03 AM
Planar Protector

You have multiple level 60 characters that are VP keyed with bis gear.

What the deuce are you quadding for?

Also nuking a raid mob dead, in no scenario are you ever burning all your mana and the mob is still alive unless you're fighting Gore and she CHs (in which case you've already lost unless you have a huge number of zerglings).

Yes charm killing is the most efficient means of killing. Making it even more efficient increases your speed of leveling by cutting down breaks required.

Heals are inefficient, but it makes it a little bit better if you're in a situation where you can't land nukes and you need to spam heal. Or a situation where it's more mana efficient to keep alive someone allowing them to DPS than it is to continue DPSing yourself.

Breath of Ro, for purposes of soloing or grouping, is horribly inefficient. 1. It does less damage and for less efficiency than Winged Death. 2. Winged Death has a -100 MR check while Breath resists a fair bit. In soloing, Breath's resist Debuff is hardly a benefit.

Abjuration I thought about for a fleeting moment. 1200 mana means you would save 120 as opposed to 30 as a non-spec. So it's a 90 mana difference per cost. Useful only if the toon is being used to buff and that's it. Any main or alt druid being used in any group or fight it is a bad choice, as buffing you will likely be the focus of Necro twitches and after that you won't be cast Abjuration spells.
Old 04-24-2015, 11:59 AM
Planar Protector

Winged Death does about 1k for 300 mana. Ro does about 1k for 200 mana (for me). How is that less efficient?
Old 04-24-2015, 12:28 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cecily [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Winged Death does about 1k for 300 mana. Ro does about 1k for 200 mana (for me). How is that less efficient?
Ro is 92/tick for 10 ticks for 250 mana
Winged is 143/tick for 9 ticks for 350 mana

They should each have 1 more tick if classic. But the main point was winged never resists unless magic immune. Breath resists a fair amount on any content that's meaningful.
Old 04-24-2015, 12:39 PM
Planar Protector

If Cecily prefers to quad/nuke instead of heals/dots/charm, I can see how specing evocation is more advantageous than alteration
Old 04-24-2015, 12:40 PM
Planar Protector

If you strictly solo 1-60, is it better to spec evocation? If you are sticking to quading post 34, that is
Old 04-24-2015, 01:05 PM
Planar Protector

34 to 53, I quadded. Charmed 53 to 60, with a bit of quadding at TD raptors after I got Fist of Karana. I used Breath of Ro extensively during my time charming, though. It's an excellent finisher for mobs with ~20% hp (too much to arm DoT).
Last edited by Cecily; 04-24-2015 at 01:11 PM..
Old 04-24-2015, 01:22 PM
Planar Protector

The benefit of Specializations is mana preservation. It allows you to extend your mana pool or decrease the number of stops/med breaks you take.

The benefit of Quadding as a soloing method over charming is that you can take larger breaks inbetween quads. You burn all your mana quadding then AFk for 10min watching TV or whatever before you go again.

Whether you finish the quad with 10% or 30%, you're still going to have to take that long AFK where you are likely doing something else IRL. The only time it would factor in is if you have a few bad resists, you are under geared or you're trying to quad things like hill Giants or Seafuries with lots of HP and mediocre gear.

Depending on the level and the camp, generally you can get 1-2 quads done before you run OOM. At which point you usually will just med to full and go again. Specialization may save you a minute or two inbetween med breaks, but many people who go the quadding route and AFKing more time than it takes them to med to full anyways so they won't notice the difference. They won't be sitting at the monitor watching to see when they hit full mana and then immediately start. They'll probably AFK 10min and come back after they've been FM for a few min.
Old 04-24-2015, 01:25 PM
Planar Protector

It's probably fine to spec evo from levels 34-53, but that's the only time you can justify it.

Blue
Tofusin - 60 Monk <BDA>
Shiroe - 60 Enchanter
Manowarr - 60 Druid
Old 04-24-2015, 01:28 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cecily [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
34 to 53, I quadded. Charmed 53 to 60, with a bit of quadding at TD raptors after I got Fist of Karana. I used Breath of Ro extensively during my time charming, though. It's an excellent finisher for mobs with ~20% hp (too much to arm DoT).
Yes so did I. But that was back several years ago when Breath had the unclassic values (was 103/tick for like 200-225 mana). Back then, Winged Death sucked. But that's since been patched and fixed.

Now they are near the same efficiency except Winged Death works faster, resists far less, and does more.
Closed Thread