Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > General Community > Starting Zone

Closed Thread

Old 10-01-2019, 09:08 AM
Scrawny Gnoll

Default Advice for a newbie Dwarf Paladin

Hello,

I have never played EverQuest before and am just about to roll onto the new green server to make a Dwarf Paladin, but I don't want to muck my first character up and have to start all over, so I would like to ask some advice in terms of allocating the stats and AA points etc. Are there any good character guides out there that would help a newbie avoid most of the critical pitfalls?
Old 10-01-2019, 09:19 AM
Planar Protector

https://wiki.project1999.com/Paladin

Keep in mind Paladins are almost certain to have a 40% xp penalty on green.
Old 10-01-2019, 09:24 AM
Planar Protector

I'd probably ignore that guide and just go strength instead of stamina on green. The extra strength will be far more useful through most of green's lifespan than stamina. Sta is like endgame minmaxing stuff. 99.9% you will never make it to a point where that 15 stam was relevant. But that str will allow you to maintain aggro a bit better, solo a bit better, and carry some more loot. And when you already lug plate armor around extra carry weight is a big boon.
Old 10-01-2019, 09:27 AM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghamarro [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Hello,

I have never played EverQuest before and am just about to roll onto the new green server to make a Dwarf Paladin, but I don't want to muck my first character up and have to start all over, so I would like to ask some advice in terms of allocating the stats and AA points etc. Are there any good character guides out there that would help a newbie avoid most of the critical pitfalls?
Dwarf Paladin is a good combo. I always put all of my stats into STR and STA when I start a tank. Dwarves already have great Wisdom to start, so your mana pool will be great.

Have fun with it!
Old 10-01-2019, 09:30 AM
Planar Protector

Looks like dwarf starts at 70 agi so he should definitely do the five points in that though?
Old 10-01-2019, 09:37 AM
Planar Protector

Ya certainly on green go ahead and grab the 5 agi. you aren't going to want be itemizing for that 5 points of agility all the time. no need to make life even harder on yourself as a hybrid in vanilla.
Old 10-01-2019, 09:37 AM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fammaden [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Looks like dwarf starts at 70 agi so he should definitely do the five points in that though?
Oh yeah! I forgot about that. You kind of HAVE to do this!
Old 10-01-2019, 10:32 AM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghamarro [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Hello,

When you create your character, you'll notice some stats are in green (and raised above that race's default) and some are in white. This implies that the green stats are your class's critical stats. This is in fact not necessarily the case. Here's what those green numbers really mean: In addition to every race's base statistics, each class at creation gets 50 additional attribute points, with the game automatically allocating some portion of that 50. The green numbers means points were automatically placed in that attribute. In the case of the Paladin, 30 of the 50 are automatically allocated, some into each of Strength, Stamina, Wisdom, and Charisma. You can place the remaining 20 yourself. On a Dwarf, put at least 5 into Agility, even though it's not "green." Having less than 75 Agility carries a massive penalty to armor rating in-game, and the game doesn't warn you about this at all. For the remaining 15 points, almost any combination of Strength, Stamina, Dexterity, or Wisdom will work and there are arguments for any and all of them. You shouldn't need to add points to Charisma, even though it's green. It's only used for a couple Paladin abilities and as such more usually raised (when needed) through items or buff spells.

Don't fret it too much or over-think it. With only 20 points to allocate out of a 255 cap to all of them, it's not really possible to "break" your character. This is something of a big-numbers game, and 20 points isn't going to make or break anything. At worst you have to deal with some inconvenience, like needing 5 agility from equipment if you put nothing there and have only 70 base.

On a fresh server there is an important quality-of-life consideration with respect to strength and weaker races, but that isn't so critical for Dwarves since they start with a decent value there by default.

Danth
Last edited by Danth; 10-01-2019 at 10:47 AM..
Old 10-01-2019, 10:32 AM
Planar Protector

Rimson just made a great new http://wiki.project1999.com/Kaladim_Starting_Guide, and you can find lots of other great guides at http://wiki.project1999.com/Player_Guides.

Loramin Frostseer, Oracle of the Tribunal <Anonymous> and Fan of the "Where To Go For XP/For Treasure?" Guides
Anyone can improve the wiki! If you are new to the Blue server, you can improve the wiki to earn a "welcome package" of up to 2k+ platinum! Message me for details.
Closed Thread