Go Back   Project 1999 > General Community > Off Topic

Closed Thread

Old 01-06-2021, 03:40 AM
Planar Protector

Default 30 min video on EQ

https://youtu.be/g6_Q9whmFZI
Old 01-06-2021, 08:33 AM
Planar Protector

Pretty good video but the flame wars about EQs didn't go on for years.

They're still alive and well: p

Lum was a critic but also a diehard player. I got a lot of fun and good info from his site.

The alpha engine was pvp. It's got pvp in its core. It's what got its initial support.
Old 01-06-2021, 08:47 AM
Banned

[You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]

edit: all that in a few short years under a sports games parent company that didn't want it.
Last edited by Mblake81; 01-06-2021 at 09:15 AM..
Old 01-06-2021, 12:15 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mblake81 [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
[You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]

edit: all that in a few short years under a sports games parent company that didn't want it.
Ya that screeny took me too. This is what EQ is. Sitting there.

with your 320x240 3D window.

Meditating, or looking for a group, using /who all. Building one yourself. EQ is the game I take off /anon and /role so that people can find me to group with or fight me.
Old 01-06-2021, 01:52 PM
Banned

Hmm what is that screenshot from? Those aren't the original sky graphics, but that looks like the original classic boat, and I don't think the new sky and old boat ever co-existed.
Old 01-06-2021, 02:11 PM
VIP / Contributor

Neat, I'm glad somewhere in the beta phases they re-did the player models. The original ones where a little odd looking
Old 01-06-2021, 02:16 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Khikik [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Neat, I'm glad somewhere in the beta phases they re-did the player models. The original ones where a little odd looking
A lot looked goof, but that dwarf body builder pose was 1337.

There was probably some debate as to showable/how much showable armor and stuff there would be and how much would change, and they probably just had the ones we see in the video as standins. They made the right call in the end giving them a little less realism, polish, and making them show all the stuff [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]

pre-alpha video, low quality, but check the LIGHTING (probably pre-rendered static) but imagine EQ1 with raytracing holy moly [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IP2rKs1d1HQ

Quote:
Originally Posted by douglas1999 [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Hmm what is that screenshot from? Those aren't the original sky graphics, but that looks like the original classic boat, and I don't think the new sky and old boat ever co-existed.
Were the boats workin in PoP/GoD still? I think they were and the skybox had changed some by then.
Last edited by magnetaress; 01-06-2021 at 02:29 PM..
Old 01-06-2021, 02:36 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by magnetaress [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Were the boats workin in PoP/GoD still? I think they were and the skybox had changed some by then.
You might be right, I can't quite remember. I first quit shortly after PoP came out, then re-subbed a couple times briefly over the next like ten years, it's all very hazy.
Old 01-06-2021, 02:40 PM
Planar Protector

PoP is were the game really took off with crazy expansions and a lot of heavy grinds to catch up to my old raiding guild, and is about the time I left the military, so ya, its were I left, but my memories from back then are extremely vague except for a few kinda awful moments..

One of the good ones is going into the plane of fire tho and killing the bossses and stuff there with my guildies and that giant crystaline dragon. Such good times. Was really the only solace I had. EQ means a lot to me.
Closed Thread