Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > General Community > Rants and Flames

Closed Thread

Old 12-11-2010, 03:04 AM
Fire Giant

The story is likely to have been heard by the GMs multiple time when they go for that #ban hotkey, but IF this is really what happened...I have to agree that this is a confusing situation. You weren't playing the other character or had any idea it was considered two-boxing. Maybe a warning would have been a better(kinder?) move by the GM but regardless it's their rules and their judgment, and this might just make matters worse. "One client per RL person", in my opinion you would be OK. But if you weren't operating the character, since it was on another computer on the other side of the room/house, is it considered two-boxing? In some opinions it is essentially the same as someone next door to you putting the char AFK.

To play devil's advocate (or this GM's side), if you had two clients up on one box (one computer) and were only "operating" one character, that IS, without question, boxing. Is this the same? Where is the line/what do they mean by "operating"?

If your characters are important to you, maybe from here on err on the safe side. Two chars under the same IP not being actively played by two RL people is pretty sketchy anyway. Good luck to you.
Old 12-11-2010, 03:10 AM
Fire Giant

In the senario you have discribed, you where 2 boxing. One person was playing for the benefit of 2 chars using one IP. This is forbidden.

A higher duty of care exisits for those who have been granted an exemption.

<< Hassel the Hoff - Druid of the 55th Grind >>
<< Kassel the Koff - Monk of the 52st Train >>
Last edited by Kassel; 12-11-2010 at 03:13 AM..
Old 12-11-2010, 03:26 AM
Sarnak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kassel [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
In the senario you have discribed, you where 2 boxing. One person was playing for the benefit of 2 chars using one IP. This is forbidden.

A higher duty of care exisits for those who have been granted an exemption.
So in your analysis illegal boxing is defined as "one person playing for the benefit of 2 chars using one IP".

So it's not illegal if it's different IPs? That doesn't prevent people from just running a char afk on their neighbors computer since that would be different IPs.

No matter what scenario you present there are ways around it. Even the one-client IP rule is able to be circumvented if you know how it works. That being said, we followed the rules, one client per person. Had this been investigated more thoroughly that would have become obvious.
Old 12-11-2010, 04:13 AM
Planar Protector

It's all about perception.

Multi-boxing is not allowed on the server. However, understanding that there exist situations where people who live together want to play EQ from the same IP, the devs/GMs have allowed exemptions. Of these exemptions, you were given one. You don't have to prove anything to get one other than request one and be patient with your request.

Having said that, there exists a certain subset of people who have illicitly requested IP exemptions for the purpose of multi-boxing. Devs/GMs have said very clearly that those who are found doing this will be banned.

So, it would stand to reason that if you have requested an IP exemption, you need to make damn well sure you do not appear IN ANY WAY to be multi-boxing. You never answered how long your brother was AFK for. I would assume a few minutes for a bio break is fine. But where do you draw the line? AFK for 5 mins? 30 mins? 4 hours? A week?

How is this situation any different than someone who is multi-boxing and logging in their character on two computers from the same IP, leaving one AFK to leech XP? It appears the same to the devs/GMs who are out looking for that sort of stuff. They query the database for multiple player IDs logged in from the same IP. They can probably tell that one player ID has been idle for X minutes, where X > some standard time amount that warrants an investigation. They come check it out. They see that you're grouped up, and one guy isn't moving, the other guy is. Surprise, what does that look like?

Bottom line: if you have an IP exemption, don't do shit that could be perceived as multi-boxing. Because you won't be able to prove otherwise, and your story is going to inevitably sound like the story of any person that has been caught multi-boxing.

"You know you done fucked up when Yendor gives you raid commentary." - Tiggles
Old 12-11-2010, 04:33 AM
Sarnak

Quote:
Originally Posted by YendorLootmonkey [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
It's all about perception.

Multi-boxing is not allowed on the server. However, understanding that there exist situations where people who live together want to play EQ from the same IP, the devs/GMs have allowed exemptions. Of these exemptions, you were given one. You don't have to prove anything to get one other than request one and be patient with your request.

Having said that, there exists a certain subset of people who have illicitly requested IP exemptions for the purpose of multi-boxing. Devs/GMs have said very clearly that those who are found doing this will be banned.

So, it would stand to reason that if you have requested an IP exemption, you need to make damn well sure you do not appear IN ANY WAY to be multi-boxing. You never answered how long your brother was AFK for. I would assume a few minutes for a bio break is fine. But where do you draw the line? AFK for 5 mins? 30 mins? 4 hours? A week?

How is this situation any different than someone who is multi-boxing and logging in their character on two computers from the same IP, leaving one AFK to leech XP? It appears the same to the devs/GMs who are out looking for that sort of stuff. They query the database for multiple player IDs logged in from the same IP. They can probably tell that one player ID has been idle for X minutes, where X > some standard time amount that warrants an investigation. They come check it out. They see that you're grouped up, and one guy isn't moving, the other guy is. Surprise, what does that look like?

Bottom line: if you have an IP exemption, don't do shit that could be perceived as multi-boxing. Because you won't be able to prove otherwise, and your story is going to inevitably sound like the story of any person that has been caught multi-boxing.
Here-in lies the reason for my post. People should know more than just the obvious "one client per person" rule if they get an exemption. They should get a list of things that they aren't allowed to do without risk of being flagged as 2 boxing. For instance, while autofollowing for normal people isn't thought twice about, if you autofollow with an IP exemption you could get flagged. Repeat again, these sort of things are not obvious. Why should I suspect that because we have an IP exemption that /autofollow would flag us, even if used for legitimate purposes. I feel like only paranoid people who are trying to break the boxing rule would consider all these things.

While the GMs try to make it out to be a black and white issue at their judgment, it's not for players, since only one of these actions could result in an immediate ban. This is a heavy price, so players should know the specifics. Thus, I am proposing people receive IP exemption receive a list of things that they aren't allowed to do together to rule out some possibilities of boxing.

Actually YendorLootMonkey, you do. I posted pictures of my bro and I, our computers, etc.
Old 12-11-2010, 04:34 AM
Scrawny Gnoll

I think kassel has it right. I was thinking about it some more and it seems that the implicit rule is that if it's possible for you to do it by yourself, you probably shouldn't.
Old 12-11-2010, 06:19 AM
Banned

Only Bob can multibox.
Old 12-11-2010, 07:28 AM
Planar Protector

Quote:
2) We were banned without any tells indicating suspicion. Had he ported us to some zone and asked us to perform crazy synchronized actions then....
this
Old 12-11-2010, 07:37 AM
Large Rat

My wife and I both play and I tend to be paranoid about not wanting to be accused of multi boxing. I won't let my wife put me on follow when we are running somewhere etc, but someone who doesn't have an ip exemption could easily follow another without worry. I think it's just the price you pay for being given the opportunity.

There are times one of us might afk some to deal with children or work on dinner while the other holds down the camp. I think we just have to use discretion. Would the GMs ban you for a 7 min afk during which the other person kept killing? I don't really know

Someone likely reported you so whatever you were doing had to be blatant enough that it was reasonably suspicious.
Old 12-11-2010, 07:49 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by rioisk [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
exactly my point as I indicated above in my scenario. If it's not illegal for two different houses, but is for one, this information should be apart of the rules if you have an ip exemption.

On a further note, I've noticed people here are very quickly to jump to conclusions when it comes to the issue of boxing. Please remember there are many legitimate people here who play together under IP exemptions. With a degree in CS, if I was going to box I could bypass the 1 IP rule. Instead my bro and I followed the proper channels and waited for an exemption. This was many months ago and we have been playing together fine for this time.

When people who follow legitimate channels are treated like criminals before any sort of investigation you know the system has problems.

Then why don't you just bypass the ban then Mr. CS Degree that could just break the rules whenever he wanted , Quite your bitching. I bet you were two boxing No gm just bans you without any sort of evidence. IM sure he observed your stupid ass for 20 + mins. I call bull shit.
Closed Thread