Go Back   Project 1999 > General Community > Off Topic

Closed Thread

Old 11-07-2020, 02:58 PM
Banned

*chirps* https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p8rpqHvd7do
Old 11-07-2020, 10:14 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nexii [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I found V for Vendetta not dystopian enough. To me it was just a derivative/watered down 1984. Except it promoted some view of anarchy being a good thing rather than pro-egalitarianism. It was hard to side with V or Evey or any of the anarchists. Perhaps it's just my lawful evil side?

Maybe I need to give it a second watch, I don't know. Reviewers seem to love it.
it's a lame movie

we're watching The Hidden Fortress over here. japanese Princess Leia is WAY hotter fyi
Old 11-08-2020, 04:12 AM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nexii [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I found V for Vendetta not dystopian enough. To me it was just a derivative/watered down 1984. Except it promoted some view of anarchy being a good thing rather than pro-egalitarianism. It was hard to side with V or Evey or any of the anarchists. Perhaps it's just my lawful evil side?

Maybe I need to give it a second watch, I don't know. Reviewers seem to love it.
Personally I don’t like the movie, despite having never watched it, as it makes it impossible to commemorate the gunpowder plot being foiled without yanks derailing this important date[You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.].

It’s an important date on the UK calendar, perhaps loosely equivalent to independence day (mandatory praz Will Smith). It’s the only day we really traditionally use fireworks, though recently they’ve crept into new years too.

I don’t like fireworks, too skittish, but it’s one of my favourite days despite that. Last bbq of the year and first hot spiced cider* or wine. Besides celebrating the survival of parliament**, to me it marks the start of deep winter, and the beginning to the run up of Christmas.

* in these parts cider is never soft.

** even if some years the lot in House of Common are so rotten the traitors seem a sympathetic cause.
Old 11-08-2020, 06:53 AM
Planar Protector

I would like to agreed with everyone in that I like this movie, too. Nov 5th was also my first clinical and real patient. Was way more fun than I imagined.
Old 11-08-2020, 08:50 AM
Banned

From what I remember, objectively speaking: The movie is a murder suicide love story where the protagonist kidnaps a defenseless woman and does their best to use them against his political foes. Yes those foes are big bad evil. That it's set in a dystopian world doesn't exactly make such things 'right'. Or justify them. It's a tragedy.

Equilibrium
R 2002 ‧ Sci-fi/Action ‧ 1h 47m

is suuuuch a better move.
Old 11-08-2020, 09:08 AM
Sarnak

Perhaps it was the character of V. So he was medically experimented on and gained superhuman strength and intellect. In a society that values strength over diversity, he would more likely be worshipped as a sort of god. Yes, he was tortured and all that but I think him becoming an even more ruthless leader would have been a more tragic ending. The love stuff could still be an aside as in 1984
Old 11-08-2020, 09:12 AM
Banned

Quote:
Perhaps it was the character of V. So he was medically experimented on and gained superhuman strength and intellect. In a society that values strength over diversity, he would more likely be worshipped as a sort of god. Yes, he was tortured and all that but I think him becoming an even more ruthless leader would have been a more tragic ending. The love stuff could still be an aside as in 1984
Sounds like a good premise for a sequel. Like things spiral out of control and he tries to fix it? did he survive tho I think he ded at the end of the movie - sheesh I really cant remember the plot I shouldn't be reviewing it.

Maybe he could come back from the dead or something. Or like the brutal anarchistic society could produce a figure head out of the "Strongest leader" in his image lol.
Old 11-08-2020, 09:33 AM
Sarnak

I think really why V didn't work for me wasn't because it was a derivative dystopian - I do love the genre. It's an example of how a story with no protagonist just doesn't work. V isn't the protagonist, his anarchist agenda is the same from beginning to end. Evey isn't either because she's kidnapped and twisted through manipulation or love or whatever to share his agenda. It's not out of her own volition really.

Perhaps it made more sense in the graphic novels, the movie seems to just be a slice of the whole story arc, maybe a third of it or so
Old 11-08-2020, 10:48 AM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by magnetaress [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
From what I remember, objectively speaking: The movie is a murder suicide love story where the protagonist kidnaps a defenseless woman and does their best to use them against his political foes. Yes those foes are big bad evil. That it's set in a dystopian world doesn't exactly make such things 'right'. Or justify them. It's a tragedy.

Equilibrium
R 2002 ‧ Sci-fi/Action ‧ 1h 47m

is suuuuch a better move.
Still a better fiction than heterosexual woman and previous rape victim sexually assaults a transwoman acquaintance in front of another witness.
Last edited by Cecily; 11-08-2020 at 10:50 AM..
Old 11-08-2020, 10:52 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cecily [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Still a better fiction than heterosexual woman and previous rape victim sexually assaults a transwoman acquaintance in front of another witness.
I haven't seen that one, kinda disturbing if you ask me. [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]

read the bible
Closed Thread