Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > General Community > Rants and Flames

Closed Thread

Old 05-27-2021, 12:13 PM
Kobold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Necabo [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
My tine is limited, so I really only do Sky Tuesdays, where I get to hang out with some old friends [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Good to see you old friend! Vowels actually messaged me in discord yesterday from a Sky raid although I think hers was on Green haha.

A lot of good points brought up here about the good reasons to play here so thank you for that. I know this is RNF, but I think its nice to see the positive reasons people still play, even if I disagree with some of them.

P99 will always hold a special place for me in video games, but the main thing I personally enjoyed about this was the community and social space. Classic WoW fills that void for me now since many of my friends from here either stopped playing after the dragons got rooted or moved on to classic WoW. I'll keep my eyes on the horizon for any of you still playing p99 and enjoy chatting with you in discord (Littul#0010) or in classic wow [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Old 05-27-2021, 12:18 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tunabros [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
actually, I still play because I want a robe of the azure sky

which is probably never going to happen but if I keep my mind to it, it will happen!
Tbh this is the best reason. Doing something challenging with the game and community supporting that challenge and making it interesting. Classic stuff like this is definitely something you'll remember fondly. You'll remember the attempt. You'll remember the success. And some of the people you fought or helped on the way. [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]

Sure running through VP with a merc is possible but it is hollow compared to doing it with a guild when there really is no other way.
Old 05-27-2021, 03:49 PM
Fire Giant

It is rare to find a game today where the world is the server and everything on it is unique to those who are in the pool of that server, no one NPC is replicated like with instancing where it removes a kinda of principle immersion that everyone inherently is involved in while playing.

So for instance, a Instance of a zone, creates duplicates of a NPC. Seemingly meaningless, but really if there is only one of a name, sure he can "respawn.." but that timer of his re-spawn is part of the lifespan of that NPC.

It would be nice if devs took this a step further and named every decaying skeletons etc uniquely so each spawn is its own life and death cycle. I think this is something they were kinda hinting at with EQ Next but obviously it seems not enough people give a shit as most gamers today have no idea what roleplay means. Most play MMORPG games yet have never thought of immersion in their lives as gamers.

Even a single player game you can get immersed, even though your version of that game is completely unique or instanced in a sense, but you are playing through that world in a single player.

In a multi-player game I never understood Instancing.. It has always boggled my mind to the point I can't feel immersed anymore, this is where I personally think EQ went wrong, and where WoW went wrong too. The idea that Butcherblock has a copy version of itself is exactly why I didn't play Guild Wars 1, to me back then I was making fun of it for being a Lobby style of MMORPG rather than a MMORPG.

But MMORPGs since have completely forgotten this principle in favor of satisfying everyone by creating 1000s of copies of the same boss that people just privately camp.. Really killed anything I felt that MMORPGs had that was unique.
Old 05-27-2021, 03:52 PM
Fire Giant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shawk [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
It is rare to find a game today where the world is the server and everything on it is unique to those who are in the pool of that server, no one NPC is replicated like with instancing where it removes a kinda of principle immersion that everyone inherently is involved in while playing.

So for instance, a Instance of a zone, creates duplicates of a NPC. Seemingly meaningless, but really if there is only one of a name, sure he can "respawn.." but that timer of his re-spawn is part of the lifespan of that NPC.

It would be nice if devs took this a step further and named every decaying skeletons etc uniquely so each spawn is its own life and death cycle. I think this is something they were kinda hinting at with EQ Next but obviously it seems not enough people give a shit as most gamers today have no idea what roleplay means. Most play MMORPG games yet have never thought of immersion in their lives as gamers.

Even a single player game you can get immersed, even though your version of that game is completely unique or instanced in a sense, but you are playing through that world in a single player.

In a multi-player game I never understood Instancing.. It has always boggled my mind to the point I can't feel immersed anymore, this is where I personally think EQ went wrong, and where WoW went wrong too. The idea that Butcherblock has a copy version of itself is exactly why I didn't play Guild Wars 1, to me back then I was making fun of it for being a Lobby style of MMORPG rather than a MMORPG.

But MMORPGs since have completely forgotten this principle in favor of satisfying everyone by creating 1000s of copies of the same boss that people just privately camp.. Really killed anything I felt that MMORPGs had that was unique.

Dunno why my shit keeps spacing itself. This is why I play today anyways, Even though the game isn't really all that good anymore in comparison to newer games, this first core principles are all that really matter. The philosophy of players being forced to play together, rather than catering to people who just want to play solo.. Most MMORPG games cater to that latter type.
Old 05-27-2021, 05:54 PM
Kobold

Sounds like you miss p99, and need to find more people to shit on it to make yourself feel better.

All good, well still be here broseph.
Old 05-27-2021, 07:37 PM
Fire Giant

I havent played in a few months actually longer than that this raid scene is trash

Zekay 60 Torpor Shaman - <Guild>
Old 05-27-2021, 08:55 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Littul Jonn [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Anyway, genuinely curious what people are enjoying here still. Hope all is well [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I don't.
Told this to Rogean, Nilbog & Menden.
Old 05-27-2021, 09:45 PM
Kobold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fingurs [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Sounds like you miss p99, and need to find more people to shit on it to make yourself feel better.

All good, well still be here broseph.
Haha much appreciated, nah I'm done. I think someone already got my drums of the beast off my toon from what someone said. I don't have the spell files downloaded so I'm not logging on anytime soon to check haha. Enjoy amigos [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Old 05-27-2021, 09:46 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Littul Jonn [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Haha much appreciated, nah I'm done. I think someone already got my drums of the beast off my toon from what someone said. I don't have the spell files downloaded so I'm not logging on anytime soon to check haha. Enjoy amigos [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
It's all about chasing dragons man.
Told this to Rogean, Nilbog & Menden.
Old 05-28-2021, 08:11 AM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jibartik [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Out of every game its the only one that feels like a standard fantasy universe.

Everyone else tries to fill the universe with their own brand.

But EQ is like, fantasy by the book.

AND still its own brand.

Magic baby!
"I have special eyes"