Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > General Community > Off Topic

Old 08-30-2022, 02:12 AM
Fire Giant

Quote:
Originally Posted by unsunghero [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]

I have 3k of credit card debt left so until I pay that no investment is worth doing. The only thing I spend money on besides bills is maybe dates and maybe another donation to p99 if I continue to play casually
Quote:
Originally Posted by unsunghero [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I was a Republican….still am

Had sex this past weekend

Have my own 450k house, 45k 2021 truck, and full time job

Grats on your life choices too though. Looks like by your list of chars...
A few pages back you boast about "owning" a bunch of stuff, and then now say you have 3k in credit card debt. Do you not have the spare cash to pay that debt off right now? Are you living paycheck to paycheck? How much does that truck payment cost you each month?

This type of lifestyle is terrifying to me. You're one emergency away from total financial ruin.

I mean good on you if you're happy, and I'm sure the house will end up being a good investment, but I just don't understand this being a measure of "success".
Old 08-30-2022, 02:44 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by nostalgiaquest [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
A few pages back you boast about "owning" a bunch of stuff, and then now say you have 3k in credit card debt. Do you not have the spare cash to pay that debt off right now? Are you living paycheck to paycheck? How much does that truck payment cost you each month?

This type of lifestyle is terrifying to me. You're one emergency away from total financial ruin.

I mean good on you if you're happy, and I'm sure the house will end up being a good investment, but I just don't understand this being a measure of "success".
I'm not saying be like me, I'm saying being responsible involves suffering

So I didn't see the purpose of using an analogy comparing meeting one's agreed upon financial obligations to suffering from polio

(truck payment is 300/mo, if I fail to meet it they repo the truck. Any home emergency I have homeowner insurance, for example I had to use this when my tree fell on my house in a storm. For medical emergencies my health insurance will cover 80% after my deductible, granted open heart surgery would still be catastrophic. It's more like a series of bad events rather than 1 that would ruin me)
Old 08-30-2022, 03:01 AM
Planar Protector

Classic progressive speaking from a position of affluent white privilege while he destroys the environment flying all over the world with a carbon footprint 300 times the person theyre criticizing just trying to get by.
Old 08-30-2022, 03:10 AM
Fire Giant

Quote:
I'm not saying be like me, I'm saying being responsible involves suffering

So I didn't see the purpose of using an analogy comparing meeting one's agreed upon financial obligations to suffering from polio

(truck payment is 300/mo, if I fail to meet it they repo the truck. Any home emergency I have homeowner insurance, for example I had to use this when my tree fell on my house in a storm. For medical emergencies my health insurance will cover 80% after my deductible, granted open heart surgery would still be catastrophic. It's more like a series of bad events rather than 1 that would ruin me)
Yeah I wasn't posting regarding the polio comment. Stupid analogies are stupid, I agree.
Old 08-30-2022, 03:23 AM
Fire Giant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jibartik [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Classic progressive speaking from a position of affluent white privilege while he destroys the environment flying all over the world with a carbon footprint 300 times the person theyre criticizing just trying to get by.
Classic whiney bitch Jib post.

This entire thread is people criticizing others for their financial choices. Unsung's a big boy, he can handle it. Don't hate the player hate the game.

I don't know why I bother, but since you love to bring up my carbon footprint all the time. I live in a house with no AC, have no kids, and ride my bike/train to work when i'm not working from home. I buy locally sourced and grown foods since Netherlands produces a majority of it in Europe. A big part of my job is making high power use facilities around the world more energy efficient, which I dare say I'm quite good at. Is my footprint high? Probably. Is ithigher than someone in Arizona who drives a big truck around and runs AC most of year? I dunno.

I could do the math for you, but the last time I did that in the Train thread you ended up sending me private messages trying to explain why I was still wrong even after the numbers showed you were full of shit.

I do like how pretty much every one of my posts gets a response from you though. Makes me feel special.
Old 08-30-2022, 03:43 AM
Fire Giant

Quote:
(truck payment is 300/mo, if I fail to meet it they repo the truck.
Back on topic. If you don't mind me asking, why buy the expensive new Truck when you knew that meant more heavy payments? 300 a month is no joke. And I claim full ignorance to the benefits of buying new cars as far as depreciation and trade in values, so perhaps I'm missing something.

I pondered buying a nice car when I moved to the NL, but cheaped out and bought a lame ass 2015 Nissan instead. I really hate making payments.
Old 08-30-2022, 03:48 AM
Planar Protector

This thread is pretty good so far
Old 08-30-2022, 03:53 AM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by nostalgiaquest [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Classic whiney bitch Jib post.

This entire thread is people criticizing others for their financial choices. Unsung's a big boy, he can handle it. Don't hate the player hate the game.

I don't know why I bother, but since you love to bring up my carbon footprint all the time. I live in a house with no AC, have no kids, and ride my bike/train to work when i'm not working from home. I buy locally sourced and grown foods since Netherlands produces a majority of it in Europe. A big part of my job is making high power use facilities around the world more energy efficient, which I dare say I'm quite good at. Is my footprint high? Probably. Is ithigher than someone in Arizona who drives a big truck around and runs AC most of year? I dunno.

I could do the math for you, but the last time I did that in the Train thread you ended up sending me private messages trying to explain why I was still wrong even after the numbers showed you were full of shit.

I do like how pretty much every one of my posts gets a response from you though. Makes me feel special.
White privileged mansplaining.

You’re destroying the environment living this colonialist lifestyle, afforded to you by dumb luck.
Old 08-30-2022, 04:01 AM
Banned

Quote:
Back on topic. If you don't mind me asking, why buy the expensive new Truck when you knew that meant more heavy payments? 300 a month is no joke. And I claim full ignorance to the benefits of buying new cars as far as depreciation and trade it, so perhaps I'm missing something.

I pondered buying a nice car when I moved to the NL, but cheaped out and bought a lame ass 2015 Nissan instead. I really hate making payments.
Yea I don’t mind criticism or scrutiny, especially when it’s good intended, trolling stuff is obvious

I am definitely not a super success story but the original quote by the other poster I responded to had set a very low bar implying “everyone here is a virgin basement dwelling degenerate” type of attitude, so you give me a bar THAT low and I’ll step over it. Now if the claim had been something to the effect of “everyone here has below average long term financial planning and a terrible investment portfolio” I wouldn’t say shit [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]

Long story short I loved my old 2011 frontier and had been using the same (formerly) trusted service company until they left the cap off my radiator and it caused my engine to fry, then they denied responsibility. I was using a loaner vehicle from a family member until that started to break down and I knew I had to replace it. I wanted to go with a Tacoma this time for the reliability and was exclusively looking at pre-owned up to 5-7yrs old, but in the crazy vehicle market that happened to exist in June 2021, pre-owned Tacomas were like the same price as new. So I ended up driving 150 miles for one of the last new ones on the lots. Later I had the frontier fixed (was a complete engine re-build so it took a long time), and since it was paid in full I still made $ on the sale, despite having to eat the cost of the repair. Had the repair been able to be done sooner or the loaner wasn’t breaking down things woulda turned out differently. But at least thanks to this fucked up car market I think the new one has actually gone up in value, which should never happen for a vehicle. I guess that’s not a short version…

Nissans are great though too, not lame at all. It’s all about the reliability
Old 08-30-2022, 04:07 AM
Planar Protector

You have to put things in perspective.

Like when a rich person is like I don’t need Coca-Cola to have joy in my life.

It’s different when you’re slaving away in the hot sun roofing for 14 hours and you’ve got seven dollars to spend.

Like expecting that guy to not drink Coke is so obtuse.

It’s like rich libertarians are always like I don’t understand why the poor don’t pick themselves up on the bootstraps when the poor dont do anything but work and get f’d by banks.

And then they can’t afford anything else and libertarians who are purely lucky they just won the lottery like all the rest of the libertarians, are like I don’t understand, why do you need a car to feel special.

Writing from a campsite on a satellite phone in $150,000 camper.

The problem isn’t somebody bought a $300 car that’s like such a low car payment.

The problem is that in this country the guy who has a $300 car and his hobby is canoeing isn’t able to save money that’s the problem that’s the thing that we should be concerned with.

That is not his fault that is a perfectly reasonable expectation to have for anyone in this country.
Last edited by Jibartik; 08-30-2022 at 04:22 AM..