Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > General Community > Off Topic

Old 09-09-2022, 02:28 AM
Fire Giant

Aside from the black actors, what about this series is woke or blatantly transparent?
Old 09-09-2022, 02:54 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by nostalgiaquest [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Aside from the black actors, what about this series is woke or blatantly transparent?
The only other thing I’ve heard, as someone who still hasn’t seen it, is portraying Galadriel as a kind of a Mary Sue warrior which seems to some like a transparent attempt at female empowerment messaging. When you have a character that is naturally great at everything with no flaws, it doesn’t leave much room for growth or character arc, and makes them feel a bit unrelateable. Granted, Galadriel is supposedly one of the most powerful female characters in Tolkien’s mythology, but people might be getting a bit tired of a string of overpowered flawless female heroes like Rey and Captain Marvel one after another in modern movies

(Note: I also haven’t seen She-Hulk and heard that’s bad for a host of other reasons like horrible CGI and bad jokes, but one of the many criticisms is that the main character is kind of a bitch. I never had a problem with that. At least that leaves room for growth. Think about Thor in his first movie. He was arrogant and didn’t respect his own dad, who was a very good person. So I personally have no problem with a character starting with negative personality traits)

Also, making Galadriel a plate-wearing, sword swinging warrior is also much different than how she’s portrayed in the books (supposedly) and the LOTR movies. There seems to be this desire to copy male characteristics in modern female heroes such as being physically strong, a front-line fighter, not showing negative emotion, not being vulnerable, and calling that empowering. You’re just copying masculine traits. It’s more nuanced than this but I don’t feel it’s the best way to portray empowered women
Old 09-09-2022, 03:07 AM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by unsunghero [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Also, making Galadriel a plate-wearing, sword swinging warrior is also much different than how she’s portrayed in the books (supposedly) and the LOTR movies. There seems to be this desire to copy male characteristics in modern female heroes such as being physically strong, a front-line fighter, not showing negative emotion, not being vulnerable, and calling that empowering. You’re just copying masculine traits. It’s more nuanced than this but I don’t feel it’s the best way to portray empowered women
Old 09-09-2022, 03:21 AM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by unsunghero [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
The only other thing I’ve heard, as someone who still hasn’t seen it, is portraying Galadriel as a kind of a Mary Sue warrior which seems to some like a transparent attempt at female empowerment messaging. When you have a character that is naturally great at everything with no flaws, it doesn’t leave much room for growth or character arc, and makes them feel a bit unrelateable. Granted, Galadriel is supposedly one of the most powerful female characters in Tolkien’s mythology, but people might be getting a bit tired of a string of overpowered flawless female heroes like Rey and Captain Marvel one after another in modern movies

(Note: I also haven’t seen She-Hulk and heard that’s bad for a host of other reasons like horrible CGI and bad jokes, but one of the many criticisms is that the main character is kind of a bitch. I never had a problem with that. At least that leaves room for growth. Think about Thor in his first movie. He was arrogant and didn’t respect his own dad, who was a very good person. So I personally have no problem with a character starting with negative personality traits)

She took part in the Noldor rebellion(while also cursing Feanor!) so it's in character for her to be martial I might surmise.
Old 09-09-2022, 04:31 AM
Fire Giant

Quote:

As someone who has watched the show, I disagree with pretty much all of this. Spoiler warning.

They openly portray multiple character flaws. She’s obsessed with destroying the thing that killed her brother, to a point where it’s consumed her. It’s a story as old as time. She was convinced to sail west back to elf land, but then her obsession caused her to jump off the boat and start swimming back. When she got picked up by the drifting raft that was attacked by the seaworm thingie, she didn’t nobly stay and protect the humans, that bitch jumped off the raft and swam away. Of course she’s a bad ass, she’s a thousand year old max level BIS elf warrior. The fuck you expect?

In the LOTR movies she’s another thousand years older. Does it not make sense that she would be more mature and less warlike?

I feel like a fucking nerd defending Galadriel here, but with both House of Dragons and Rings of Power, I keep hearing about how it’s all woke this and pandering that, but I’m just not seeing it. Are there super woke shit TVs shows out there? sure. But if you can unclench your butthole a little and just watch HoD or RoP, they’re really not bad.

Unsung, am I correct to say that you’re not watching either series due to the wokeness? I feel like I remember you posting something like that at some point. Doesn’t that seem silly to you? You’ve obviously a fan of fantasy, and here are two new well produced fantasies series available. And rather than watch them for yourselves, you chose not to based on clickbait reviews other people wrote?
Old 09-09-2022, 04:54 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by nostalgiaquest [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
As someone who has watched the show, I disagree with pretty much all of this. Spoiler warning.

They openly portray multiple character flaws. She’s obsessed with destroying the thing that killed her brother, to a point where it’s consumed her. It’s a story as old as time. She was convinced to sail west back to elf land, but then her obsession caused her to jump off the boat and start swimming back. When she got picked up by the drifting raft that was attacked by the seaworm thingie, she didn’t nobly stay and protect the humans, that bitch jumped off the raft and swam away. Of course she’s a bad ass, she’s a thousand year old max level BIS elf warrior. The fuck you expect?

In the LOTR movies she’s another thousand years older. Does it not make sense that she would be more mature and less warlike?

I feel like a fucking nerd defending Galadriel here, but with both House of Dragons and Rings of Power, I keep hearing about how it’s all woke this and pandering that, but I’m just not seeing it. Are there super woke shit TVs shows out there? sure. But if you can unclench your butthole a little and just watch HoD or RoP, they’re really not bad.

Unsung, am I correct to say that you’re not watching either series due to the wokeness? I feel like I remember you posting something like that at some point. Doesn’t that seem silly to you? You’ve obviously a fan of fantasy, and here are two new well produced fantasies series available. And rather than watch them for yourselves, you chose not to based on clickbait reviews other people wrote?
Is she a warrior though? Is that how she's portrayed in the books? Wearing plate hacking everyone up with a sword? Galadriel the barbarian?

That's not how I remember her from the LOTR movies. In that she seems like a powerful sagely spellcaster. Seems like quite a switch but hey, maybe she dual-classed after reaching level 13, that's when you unlock the 5 warrior proficiency slots in DnD. I'm basing this off others saying that's not how she's portrayed in the books but someone else said they thought she might have been a warrior before so who knows. I also didn't realize she starts at max or near-max level. But hey, some personality growth is cool, even if her stats are near-max

No, I haven't seen the shows just because I'm lazy when it comes to seeing new movies, tv shows, or reading new books. When people say I should check something out I jokingly tell them I'll add it to a giant backlog of things I've been told are good and I need to check out

All I get currently is netflix too, and pirating stuff seems to be more difficult now for me

Edit: if wisdom and age mean being less of a front line fighter, that doesn't seem to apply to Gandalf, who swings his sword and staff with the best of them. Of course, the explanation for why an old man is swinging a sword in battle is because Gandalf is actually more of an angel, a Maiar who happens to take the form of an old man. Whereas Galadriel really is a female elf
Last edited by unsunghero; 09-09-2022 at 05:04 AM..
Old 09-09-2022, 05:36 AM
Banned

Ok so I did a few mins of digging, found a few “Galadriel was a warrior, BIGOT” articles

Here’s the apparent proof: “Account of Galadriel’s quarrel with the sons of Fëanor at sack of Alqualondë. How she fought...”

““she... fought heroically”

My grandpa fought in WW2 but I don’t recall him telling me he specifically shot anyone. Sometimes fought is used in a more broad sense or using some other tactic than direct physical violence

But there’s also passages that she’s “strong in body and mind” and “athletic”. So while also kinda vague and not mentioning how that compares to the physical strength of male elves I’ll assume her magic and high level makes her a strong elite athlete. I’m cool with that. This is also a fantasy world and while it’s not explicitly said here, in DND for example dark elf females are physically bigger and stronger than males in that world
Last edited by unsunghero; 09-09-2022 at 05:41 AM..
Old 09-09-2022, 09:06 AM
Banned

[You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Old 09-09-2022, 09:54 AM
Fire Giant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Encroaching Death [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
[You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
DINO!?!?!
Old 09-09-2022, 09:56 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by strongNpretty [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
DINO!?!?!
Maybe...[You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]