Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > General Community > Off Topic

Closed Thread

Old 09-11-2022, 01:35 PM
Planar Protector

We have videos of cops lighting people up for no reason and haven't the slightest idea what to do about it but we think we're going to root out corruption from the system that controls the cops?
Old 09-11-2022, 01:50 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by unsunghero [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
First one was Banana Republican, second one was Kangeroo Court

I got lost after that

Not a bad idea but will still create debates over the degree of corruption. Leftists will say we need to reform our corrupt police and rightists will say did you mean FBI?
Bread and Circus(es)

Clown Post
Old 09-11-2022, 01:54 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reiwa [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]

Clown Post
I thought you had something against the US Postal Service
Old 09-11-2022, 05:38 PM
Fire Giant

Quote:
Originally Posted by unsunghero [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I think cult-like for either party is only at the extreme ends and the rest is just various degrees of tribalism

I think if someone ever asks “name 3 things you don’t like about the political party you register for” and you can’t immediately come up with 3 the brainwashing was a success
This is an interesting situation i often find myself in being an expat in Europe. I tend to be left leaning per American political standard, but almost every time someone hears that i'm American, I find myself having to defend America. It's trendy to hate on America in Europe, and I don't put up with it. Which means I often find myself in a devil's advocate position, arguing the other side of things I might not usually agree with just to make a point, which admittedly is really fun.

Just tonight I was out at a bar and after learning I was American, a guy asked me...and this is ver batum:

him: "so what do you think about the fourth amendment?"
Me: "shit which one is that? Search and seizure? I dunno seems legit to me"
him: " no no the gun one" (we're off to a good start!)
me: "ohhhh, yeah the 2nd. wellllll..."

...and then I have to try to explain the complexities of guns in the Netherlands versus guns in the US to some drunk guy that's never even been to the US.

It's a pretty common line of questioning as an American expat. They always want me to agree that their country is "better". Which in some aspects sure, but in other aspects hell no. I feel the "they hate us cuz they ain't us" vibes a lot lol.
Old 09-11-2022, 06:11 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by nostalgiaquest [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
This is an interesting situation i often find myself in being an expat in Europe. I tend to be left leaning per American political standard, but almost every time someone hears that i'm American, I find myself having to defend America. It's trendy to hate on America in Europe, and I don't put up with it. Which means I often find myself in a devil's advocate position, arguing the other side of things I might not usually agree with just to make a point, which admittedly is really fun.

Just tonight I was out at a bar and after learning I was American, a guy asked me...and this is ver batum:

...and then I have to try to explain the complexities of guns in the Netherlands versus guns in the US to some drunk guy that's never even been to the US.

It's a pretty common line of questioning as an American expat. They always want me to agree that their country is "better". Which in some aspects sure, but in other aspects hell no. I feel the "they hate us cuz they ain't us" vibes a lot lol.
Did you tell him we only got Heller recently?
Old 09-11-2022, 07:27 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by nostalgiaquest [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]

Liked everything about this post. Have to do yardwork but wanted to respond

Before I do, to answer my own question, my 3 are 1. Incels, 2. Qanon 3. Homophobes who think things like gay couples shouldn’t be allowed to adopt children or that being gay is some sort of sexual deviancy and should be suppressed (don’t think my gay friends would like being told to never have a relationship or sex again for the rest of their life). I came up with these 3 in literally 1 second without effort, but if pressed I could up with many, many more

I dunno if it is the fact I am surrounded with co-workers who are libs/progressives or the fact I have absorbed so much of their media or just from arguing with them, but as I watch right-wing pundits my brain comes up with liberal counter-arguments every time it can find one (which is constantly). I used to dislike it, now I’ve just accepted it

The gun culture has so many ripples and I notice it watching as much murder/crime/forensic stuff I do. They still want to kill each other just as badly in places like Britain or Australia, they just can’t get to guns to do it, and it causes such a markedly different crime scene

It’s all obvious stuff I’ve noticed like: it’s harder to kill someone with a knife - they tend to run away screaming for help and get away, the person gets tired if they are trying to go on a killing spree, physicality really matters (can be a good or bad thing depending on who you are). Sometimes, I wish “man, what if, in a parallel dimension (because that’s what I think it would take) it was like that here?” Then I banish such a heretic thought. I just know what kind of crime story to expect as soon as I hear the country of origin, and the US is by far the most brutal, in terms of the victim’s chance of survival

But I appreciate you sticking up for America internationally when you absolutely don’t have to and in fact would probably make more friends if you didn’t. That takes character
Old 09-11-2022, 09:59 PM
Banned

Quote:

My best friend used to be obsessed with Germany. He learned the language, the culture, all of it. He became one of those friends who wouldn't stop bringing up how much better Germany was compared to the US.

He decided to vacation there for an extended period of time in order to test it out/prepare to move, etc.

He came back to America completely disappointed.

His story sounds very similar to yours. He would say they would complain about the US, and while there are a TON of legitimate criticisms of the US, he said all their reasons were complete BS.

I have co-workers who never stop complaining about the owner, and while I agree nearly 100% of the time, it has become so annoying that I don't go to lunch with them anymore.

Sometimes Europeans sound like bitter ex-girlfriends who won't stop talking about their ex, when it comes to their opinions on the US.
Old 09-12-2022, 02:11 AM
Banned

A strategy to make people want to join your political party?

Also known as telling people what they want to hear not what they need to hear

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=
Old 09-12-2022, 02:31 AM
Banned

The guy version:
Last edited by Rogean; 04-17-2024 at 05:01 PM..
Old 09-12-2022, 02:43 AM
Planar Protector

Quote:
A strategy to make people want to join your political party?

Also known as telling people what they want to hear not what they need to hear

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=
"its mostly men"

Haha thats some funny stuff.
Closed Thread