Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Green Community > Green Server Chat

Old 08-28-2022, 01:50 PM
Planar Protector

Default The Definitive Class Ranking Thread - VOTE!

We've had some long threads debating the power level of classes, but now let's have everyone vote. Rank all of the classes on how you perceive their power level, accounting for the full 1999-2001 timeline of Everquest and the various modes of playing the game (raid, group, duo, etc).

My ballot (this is just for PvE server), with notations on rankings for different eras (Classic / Kunark / Velious). I am accounting for the actual mechanics and policies of these eras, not whatever incorrect thing p99 has instead (the p99 version of Play Nice Policy is wrong for example, whereas limiting AoE to 25 MOBs is classically "accurate"):

1. Enchanter ( 2 / 1 / 1 )
2. Cleric ( 6 / 3 / 2 ) - boring to put them here, but C-heal and rez stick
3. Bard ( 4 / 2 / 5 )
4. Shaman ( 8 / 4 / 4 )
5. Monk ( 10 / 5 / 3 ) - Velious rating = Triple Attack era + top gear
6. Necromancer ( 1 / 8 / 9 )
7. Magician ( 3 / 9 / 8 )
8. Warrior ( 12 / 7 / 6 )
9. Rogue ( 14 / 6 / 7 )
10. Druid ( 5 / 12 / 10 )
11. Wizard ( 7 / 10 / 14 )
12. Shadowknight ( 9 / 11 / 12 )
13. Ranger ( 11 / 14 / 11 )
14. Paladin ( 13 / 13 / 13 )

Note - I have been informed DeathsSilkyMist will be banned if writing more than one post here. That should allow for better discussion and less disruption in the thread.

Note 2 - If you don't want your ballot to be public, just private message it to me. People are also free to edit their ballots, just let me know and I will update the spreadsheet. The results will be released after ballots stop being received/edited with any frequency.
Old 08-28-2022, 02:09 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zuranthium [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Note - I have been informed DeathsSilkyMist will be banned if writing more than one post here. That should allow for better discussion and less disruption in the thread.
Yup, the moderators of this forum PM you about who they are going to ban[You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.] I think they will ban the people RnF flaming threads outside of RnF with insults of autism and gifs of silly memes first. That is much more distruptive.

Just make a poll so everybody can see who voted. I am not sure I trust your ability to collate the data in a fair and accurate way, given how biased and vitriolic you have been in the recent past. You can't hide your post history.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zuranthium [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
My ballot (this is just for PvE server), with notations on rankings for different eras (Classic / Kunark / Velious). I am accounting for the actual mechanics and policies of these eras, not whatever incorrect thing p99 has instead (the p99 version of Play Nice Policy is wrong for example, whereas limiting AoE to 25 MOBs is classically "accurate"):
This should be in off-topic then to be honest. This forum is about the P99 Green Server. What the developers do to modify P99 to fit their needs matters in the discussion, since this is the game we are all actually playing.
Last edited by DeathsSilkyMist; 08-28-2022 at 02:24 PM..
Old 08-28-2022, 02:15 PM
Banned

Quote:
We've had some long threads debating the power level of classes, but now let's have everyone vote. Rank all of the classes on how you perceive their power level, accounting for the full 1999-2001 timeline of Everquest and the various modes of playing the game (raid, group, duo, etc).

1. Enchanter ( 2 / 1 / 1 )
2. Cleric ( 6 / 3 / 2 ) - boring to put them here, but C-heal and rez stick
3. Bard ( 4 / 2 / 5 )
4. Shaman ( 8 / 4 / 4 )
5. Monk ( 10 / 5 / 3 ) - Velious rating = Triple Attack era + top gear
6. Necromancer ( 1 / 8 / 9 )
7. Magician ( 3 / 9 / 8 )
8. Warrior ( 12 / 7 / 6 )
9. Rogue ( 14 / 6 / 7 )
10. Druid ( 5 / 12 / 10 )
11. Wizard ( 7 / 10 / 14 )
12. Shadowknight ( 9 / 11 / 12 )
13. Ranger ( 11 / 14 / 11 )
14. Paladin ( 13 / 13 / 13 )

Note 2 - If you don't want your ballot to be public, just private message it to me. People are also free to edit their ballots, just let me know and I will update the spreadsheet. The results will be released after ballots stop being received/edited with any frequency.
I'm a little confused about how the voting works. Are we giving each class a 1-10 rating for each era? Or just an overall ranking across all eras from strongest to weakest?

P.S. I hope that note about DSM is correct. There's ZERO chance he only posts once.
Old 08-28-2022, 02:21 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by PlsNoBan [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I'm a little confused about how the voting works. Are we giving each class a 1-10 rating for each era? Or just an overall ranking across all eras from strongest to weakest?

P.S. I hope that note about DSM is correct. There's ZERO chance he only posts once.
PlsNoBan would be high on the list of people to ban, considering the last 100 of his posts are just insults and/or trolls outside of RnF. It's really unfortunate, and easy to check. He is literally averaging posting the word "autism" or "autistic" in 1 of every 3 posts for his last 100 lol, not in RnF.

To answer your question though, it looks like he is just ranking the classes based on how many there are.

So 1 would be the best, and 14 would be the worst. He is asking you to rank every class at the same time, so each class would have a unique number between 1 and 14 for each era.
Last edited by DeathsSilkyMist; 08-28-2022 at 02:38 PM..
Old 08-28-2022, 02:27 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by PlsNoBan [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Just do 1 overall ranking for the balloting purpose, #1 through #14, but you can also give ranking breakdowns per era and discuss it if you want, because that's fun.
Old 08-28-2022, 02:31 PM
Fire Giant

I like the general spirit of this, but a 1-10 ranking system would be a little more usable. I don't think a strict ranking makes sense given all the classes do different roles.
Old 08-28-2022, 02:40 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeathsSilkyMist [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
PlsNoBan would be high on the list of people to ban, considering the last 100 of his posts are just insults and/or trolls outside of RnF. It's really unfortunate, and easy to check. He is literally averaging posting the word "autism" in 1 of every 5 posts for his last 100 lol, not in RnF.

To answer your question though, it looks like he is just ranking the classes based on how many there are.

So 1 would be the best, and 14 would be the worst. He is asking you to rank every class at the same time, so each class would have a unique number between 1 and 14 for each era.
[You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]

It's hard to rank classes overall. Some are insanely powerful in certain areas of the game and not so much in others. My rankings would be entirely different for solo vs group vs raid with maybe a couple exceptions. Enchanter is probably in the #1 spot across the board. Warrior and Cleric might be ahead for raids cause it's literally impossible to raid anything of significance without them. Every other class you can successfully raid without in a pinch.
Old 08-28-2022, 02:43 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
[You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I corrected it to 1 in every 3 posts where you are posting the word "autistic" or "autism" in the last 100 posts. The ban hammer (if it does come), will come indeed[You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]

To quote the forum rules:

Quote:
Attacks/Flames
Argue the point, not the poster. Do not attack, slander, or bash fellow forum users.
Nobody is perfect at this. I have slipped from time to time as we all have, but I would say posting the word "autistic" or "autism" in 1 out of every 3 posts to bash another user for your last 100 posts is pretty bad. This is outside of RnF, so the rules apply.

To Zuranthium, this thread should be in off-topic, as it is not discussing the ranking for the P99 classes. This forum is specifically discussing P99 Green Server, not what live Everquest had circa Vanilla to Velious. Any custom changes the developers purposely put in to P99 are not flukes, or due to lack of proof something was a certain way in live. You should make it a poll, so it is easy to see what everybody voted, so there is no error in tallying.
Last edited by DeathsSilkyMist; 08-28-2022 at 03:06 PM..
Old 08-28-2022, 02:44 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keebz [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I like the general spirit of this, but a 1-10 ranking system would be a little more usable. I don't think a strict ranking makes sense given all the classes do different roles.
Just have to decide for yourself which class adds the most amount of "power" to the game compared to others and rank them accordingly. If you are doing ratings then you are ranking anyway, and the problem with using ratings is it's too arbitrary here and also skews the results (aka, people trying to give a certain class 1/10 and another class 10/10).
Old 08-28-2022, 06:23 PM
Kobold

Are you & EQRP the same person? Seriously, you two(?) always seem to make these threads about non-questions that inspire arguments for no particular reason in an ancient game where every sane person knows the status quo. If you actually cared about such arguments why not make an all-encompassing thread instead of acute commentaries about specific scenarios? How does one even rank power level over a 3 year timeline?

Next I'm expecting a "Whose the best class at farming floor 3 of Befallen? UPVOTE, COMMENT, & SMASH DAT LIKE BUTTON!" thread.

I just don't see the reasoning behind it, especially when forbidding people from arguing to begin with. Starting such a thread but banning DSM, one of the only people who bothers to argue you to death. It seems counter-intuitive. Who then shall you argue against? Me? But I'm not going to bother, so then you get nothing out of it besides this single bump.