Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > General Community > Technical Discussion

Old 10-18-2017, 08:10 AM
Large Bat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Busher [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Yes, it's the same problem....I'd bet in about 4 hours I'll be able to log on with no problems.
Today I started up eq and all the servers were there, no problem.
Maybe just a server hickup with certain isp's?
Old 10-18-2017, 03:22 PM
Sarnak

Nope, still can't see anything. Doesn't matter how many times I refresh or close out, no emu servers show.
Old 10-18-2017, 05:17 PM
Banned

I have a bunch of locked trash servers on my screen that makes it look like the EMU login is down but when I scroll down I can find P99
Old 10-18-2017, 05:41 PM
Large Bat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spyder73 [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I have a bunch of locked trash servers on my screen that makes it look like the EMU login is down but when I scroll down I can find P99
That happened to me yesterday after I logged in and back out a bunch of times trying to get the servers to show. I was finally able to connect at least but clearly something's up.
Old 10-18-2017, 05:53 PM
Orc

Try doing a tracert to the emu server the next time you don't see them listed. That will give you a really good idea of where the problem is. If the packets don't make it past your network, then it's your problem. If they stop somewhere short of the emu server, then it's someone else's problem.

You could also pay 7 bucks for one month of a VPN subscription and try connecting with a VPN when you don't see the servers. The good thing about VPNs is that they offer access points all over the world, and you can try to connect to the server from multiple locations to find a good route if some rogue backbone router is dropping your EQ packets.

You could also accomplish the same thing by running your computer on WiFi and tethering it to your phone. That way you can at least rule out your computer as the problem, though if it's multiple computers on the same network having this issue then it's a long shot. But I've seen people buy identical computers and have identical problems, so it's possible.

You're running the router the ISP gave/leased to you? The thing about routing is that your route goes through expensive, well maintained routers used by your ISP and the backbone providers, but it usually starts out with a crappy router in your home. The companies that do routing as part of their business usually get it right (but not always!)

So either way I'd recommend getting a 20 dollar TP-LINK router from Amazon and flashing it with the DD-WRT open source router firmware. Not only do those ISP issued routers suck ass in general, companies like Comcast turn your router into a free access point for other customers. You pay them for bandwidth and they give it away so they can offer "free access points nationwide." Not every ISP plays games like this, but I still don't trust their routers.
Old 10-20-2017, 05:30 PM
Sarnak

Finally just decided to work.
Old 10-20-2017, 11:40 PM
Sarnak

Yup, my issue seems to have been gone the last couple nights. Others too?
Old 10-24-2017, 01:58 PM
Banned

Send a message via ICQ to AktionT4 Send a message via AIM to AktionT4 Send a message via Yahoo to AktionT4

I have a thread related to this - it was related to a Quality of Service option in my router that I had to disable.

https://www.project1999.com/forums/s...62#post2420362
Old 10-31-2017, 07:29 PM
Sarnak

Figured I should post that I pinpointed my specific problem to switching from the 5GHZ bandwith to the 2.4GHZ and it works. I have a Comcast Wireless Gateway and have their 250MBPS DL package. I always play on wireless so never get near that but for some reason the servers don't show up when I'm on 5GHZ, when I switch no problems. So if you have a Comcast gateway and are having this issue try that.