Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > General Community > Rants and Flames

Closed Thread

Old 05-07-2021, 10:09 PM
Kobold

Yeah that’s what’s hard to understand about raiding from the outside looking in:

It’s actually the only true multiplayer cooperative aspect of the game.

Xp? Wtf would you group with more than 1 other person for xp? I’m serious. 3 people MAX.

Plat? It doesn’t take a galaxy brain to realize the best plat grind is solo. MAYBE duo.

Major item farming? Yeah you need a snipe crew. Um but wtf do they need you?

...oh you want to play a class that’s not conducive to the above two/three strategies?
I’m glad you asked!
Step 1: make a class that IS compatible with 1 or more strats above.
Step 2: farm enough xp and especially plats to buy items and power leveling for the class and character you really want to play.
Step 3: enjoying having a high level well geared toon of a class that still no one sees any good reason to do anything valuable with!

And then there’s raiding.
Well most of the time, there’s actually nothing to raid.
But when there is?
Booya! Let’s get after it playa!
No one turns you down for slowing down their xp or leaching their plat gainz.
And as a matter of fact: literally every class adds value in som weird way. Somehow.

All the design pressure toward anti social isolation disappears immediately in a raid environment.
Now you could argue that it’s replaced with anti-social tribalism and dehumanizing your competition.
...but honestly that only escalated rapidly in a context where palace intrigues, he said she said, political games, and nihilistic will to power mind games are indulged or even encouraged.

Thankfully that’s not the competitive raid environment that’s nurtured here on p99.
We have healthy competition where disputes are settled primarily in game vid skill at playing the game.
For the most part.
Old 05-07-2021, 10:39 PM
Banned

I just started leveling a new druid on green just for fun

so far I had absolutely no trouble finding groups etc

people make alts all the time and there are new players everyday
Old 05-07-2021, 10:56 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tunabros [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I just started leveling a new druid on green just for fun

so far I had absolutely no trouble finding groups etc

people make alts all the time and there are new players everyday
Yeah, greens not so bad. But I find myself wanting to not share loot, even with the really nice person who followed me around and helped me get 3 characters to lvl 8 there (I did share anyway and hooked them up as much as I could)

Maybe I'm like this antisocial player who wants to try to be social but I'm terrible at it. I don't think there's anything wrong with having a main or alt solely dedicated to soloing or grinding. It's convenient for short sessions or sessions with a totally random duration... planning 2 be at the computer with a dedicated grp or friend for 6 hrs is just quite impossible. So maybe rogue is a dumb choice to try for especially on blue without at least an alt.

Literally if it weren't for me random low lvl mobs in bumbfuck nowhere would die and if they did their rusty bronze armor would just rot away into the void.

I think you're right. I saw this the first month of green and just went and hung out in a casual wow guilds discord during BFA.

Bards should be lore masters. Taking adventurers on tours and describing the ancient ruins that dot N Ro.

Has my pixelusting spirit finally broken? I never got that ravescale armor as a kid... oh well.

Idk.

Enjoying all the thoughts, feelings and responses to this thread. Well all except this one...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThonDaMan [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Huh, can't imagine why you're not getting the red carpet rolled out to join groups.
^^^^

I'm a badass, I built this community and gave away two level 60 clerics. Your raid guild probably wouldn't exist if I hadn't powerlvld ur guild leader in 2010.

-----

Anyway. Greatly appreciate the thoughts. I'm just fence sitting in this game, and that is something I need to accept I guess. No longer immersable like I once was spending 4 hours organizing a grp and then 24 hrs on a hard grind. That still seems to be how most ppl do it. I'd probably be in a guild and be powerlvld if I went there. Been burned enough times tho. Just not really looking to risk that much time in one sitting for ppl that just want gear for their raid bot. Aka "wife".
Old 05-07-2021, 11:00 PM
Banned

Literally if it weren't for me random low lvl mobs in bumbfuck nowhere *** edit would'nt (would not) die and if they did their rusty bronze armor would just rot away into the void.
Old 05-07-2021, 11:12 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grumph [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Yeah that’s what’s hard to understand about raiding from the outside looking in:

It’s actually the only true multiplayer cooperative aspect of the game.

Xp? Wtf would you group with more than 1 other person for xp? I’m serious. 3 people MAX.

Plat? It doesn’t take a galaxy brain to realize the best plat grind is solo. MAYBE duo.

Major item farming? Yeah you need a snipe crew. Um but wtf do they need you?

...oh you want to play a class that’s not conducive to the above two/three strategies?
I’m glad you asked!
Step 1: make a class that IS compatible with 1 or more strats above.
Step 2: farm enough xp and especially plats to buy items and power leveling for the class and character you really want to play.
Step 3: enjoying having a high level well geared toon of a class that still no one sees any good reason to do anything valuable with!

And then there’s raiding.
Well most of the time, there’s actually nothing to raid.
But when there is?
Booya! Let’s get after it playa!
No one turns you down for slowing down their xp or leaching their plat gainz.
And as a matter of fact: literally every class adds value in som weird way. Somehow.

All the design pressure toward anti social isolation disappears immediately in a raid environment.
Now you could argue that it’s replaced with anti-social tribalism and dehumanizing your competition.
...but honestly that only escalated rapidly in a context where palace intrigues, he said she said, political games, and nihilistic will to power mind games are indulged or even encouraged.

Thankfully that’s not the competitive raid environment that’s nurtured here on p99.
We have healthy competition where disputes are settled primarily in game vid skill at playing the game.
For the most part.
Why do I group with more than a couple people total? Because I enjoy playing in a big group of people and having a good time. We’ve all leveled so many characters to max at this point that what’s the point of rushing through the levels and min maxing your xp when you’ll be stuck at 60 forever?

Anyone who has multiple high level chars on P99 and who is still min maxing their exp is pretty sad
Old 05-07-2021, 11:35 PM
Banned

It's not just about being greedy with loot. It feels like anytime you group you end up with like 2-3 players who spend the bulk of the time AFK. I can still remember not one, but two experiences where my group of melees refused to pull in Sol B, and instead had me, the Cleric pulling. It really put a damper on things since I didn't have time to meditate and pull at the same time.

Two of those melees went on to join Seal Team within a month, which I thought was weird. It's like... this is supposed to be an elite guild, but they literally just took the worst SK and Rogue I've ever met, solely because the classes were scarce.

IDK. Like if those clowns can get in, basically anyone can.
Old 05-07-2021, 11:40 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by putrid_plum [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
people play cleric mains??
I don't particularly like the Cleric class, I like the combination of a Plate-Wearing Gnome who is also a spell-caster. There's really no race/class combination that unique in any MMO I've ever played.

I would quit the game before I would play a high elf cleric.
Old 05-08-2021, 12:12 AM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by RecondoJoe [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
It's not just about being greedy with loot. It feels like anytime you group you end up with like 2-3 players who spend the bulk of the time AFK. I can still remember not one, but two experiences where my group of melees refused to pull in Sol B, and instead had me, the Cleric pulling. It really put a damper on things since I didn't have time to meditate and pull at the same time.

Two of those melees went on to join Seal Team within a month, which I thought was weird. It's like... this is supposed to be an elite guild, but they literally just took the worst SK and Rogue I've ever met, solely because the classes were scarce.

IDK. Like if those clowns can get in, basically anyone can.
Yeah we’re all sure you had multiple groups where melees made the healer pull. Uh huh. Sounds like that totally happened. Your troll attempts are so uncreative.

If it’s true, name the ST members who you’re talking about
Old 05-08-2021, 08:50 AM
Banned

You should have never got up to pull, except maybe to break a dicey split. You missed a teachable moment.
Old 05-08-2021, 09:36 AM
Planar Protector

@starkind what class should I roll and play solo on green?
Told this to Rogean, Nilbog & Menden.
Closed Thread