Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Green Community > Green Server Chat

Closed Thread

Old 11-28-2019, 09:49 AM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teflondon75 [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
To kill a single yellow would likely take me my entire mana bar and still not likely finish the job. 2/6 seconds DoT, 22(MAX no misses) bow, 16 DD spell. Then add in multiple snares/roots...I'm doubtful this will get the job done in a single mana bar consistently.
Well, first off....you are killing yellows solo....which most classes can't do, at all. Yellows also aren't really the best targets for "grinding exp", high blues and maybe a white con is plenty for that.

Quote:
level 13 mobs have 275ish HP.

Quad kitting. I AM interested in this but can you give some more insight into how you do this and maybe even give an example of where/what you might start at 15? I tested on myself a bit and I can cast a total of 11 AoE spells. Even a single fizzle meant 10 only. Typically quad kitting involves snaring all the mobs And having SoW/JB's.
Yea, grab a sow from a nearby druid or shaman. Always someone around that you can get that from (especially in outdoor zones). Even better if it's a druid, and you can join up so they can AE also.

Well....10 AEs....is 250 damage....that is killing 4 mobs JUST WITH YOUR SPELLS.

But you won't be just taking them down with your spells. You will be adding on with your bow shots. When I would quad I would keep switching targets to try and even out damage a bit, but it's just an efficiency thing.

Quote:
Are you doing this with no snares and just chugging along with a mooched SoW every 35 minutes?
You don't "need" sow, it just makes it a lot more mindless (and lets you get more room for spells). You can strafe run and kill stuff too (I was doing that to orcs a bunch earlier on before druids were high enough level).

But yea, mooch a sow [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.] Eventually you can just buy some SOW potions....and at level 30 you can sow yourself....

Don't bother snaring....unless you are killing single targets and just want to relax more. Sometimes I would root and dot and try to med between hand, especially if I didn't feel like running around a bunch (or didn't have sow).

You don't HAVE TO do the quadding. That is just the maximum way to EXP (since, again, your spells do 3 times the damage for the mana at that point. So one bar of mana using AEs is equal to 3 bars of mana doing single target DDs between shots. Even at much higher levels, using invoke lightning is a big boost.

And running out of mana to finish stuff isn't the biggest problem in the world, you can always just finish off mobs with your bow. Later one when you can beg some clarity from enchanters who are soloing nearby you can go a lot longer too.

Quote:
200 damage will not even get close to killing zero exp mobs at this point
???? That is VERY close....that is killing them 4/5ths of the way..... another 50 HP is nothing, that is literally 3 shots with the bow....

Again, you are doing stuff no one else can .....wizards don't have the mana-pool to quad kite yet...druids either..... but as a ranger with a bow, you can (even if you need to polish them off with a few bow shots).

You are killing yellows....red....DEEP reds if you feel like it.....

You are exping faster than most other classes....and doing it safely..... you never need to worry about "will I win this fight" as long as you have arrows.

Don't even really need to worry about adds (yesterday I accidently pulled like 10 kobolds.....so I just ran around till they were all dead).

Archery is suuuppperrr strong. Especially in the hands of rangers and their spells working together with it all so well.
Old 11-28-2019, 11:58 AM
Orc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivory [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Well, first off....you are killing yellows solo....which most classes can't do, at all. Yellows also aren't really the best targets for "grinding exp", high blues and maybe a white con is plenty for that.
No no haha. I was just making an example. I'm not killing yellows at all ever. That was somebody else(earlier in this thread)saying they kill yellows in just a few shots.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivory [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Yea, grab a sow from a nearby druid or shaman. Always someone around that you can get that from (especially in outdoor zones). Even better if it's a druid, and you can join up so they can AE also.

Well....10 AEs....is 250 damage....that is killing 4 mobs JUST WITH YOUR SPELLS.

But you won't be just taking them down with your spells. You will be adding on with your bow shots. When I would quad I would keep switching targets to try and even out damage a bit, but it's just an efficiency thing.
I appreciate your enthusiasm for getting SoWs consistently. I usually see for tips or not many people on as I like to play on off hours. 10 AoE's is 250 if not a single resist and not one of them is lower than max damage which we all know never happens lol. Everything you are saying is like...best case scenario.

Quote:
You don't "need" sow, it just makes it a lot more mindless (and lets you get more room for spells). You can strafe run and kill stuff too (I was doing that to orcs a bunch earlier on before druids were high enough level).

But yea, mooch a sow [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.] Eventually you can just buy some SOW potions....and at level 30 you can sow yourself....

Don't bother snaring....unless you are killing single targets and just want to relax more. Sometimes I would root and dot and try to med between hand, especially if I didn't feel like running around a bunch (or didn't have sow).

You don't HAVE TO do the quadding. That is just the maximum way to EXP (since, again, your spells do 3 times the damage for the mana at that point. So one bar of mana using AEs is equal to 3 bars of mana doing single target DDs between shots. Even at much higher levels, using invoke lightning is a big boost.

And running out of mana to finish stuff isn't the biggest problem in the world, you can always just finish off mobs with your bow. Later one when you can beg some clarity from enchanters who are soloing nearby you can go a lot longer too.
No SoW and no snare just strafe run? Strafe run is great but are you saying just that gets you far enough ahead to both cast your AoE AND throw some bow shots? Damn, you must be strafing for half a minute to get that far ahead?

Quote:
???? That is VERY close....that is killing them 4/5ths of the way..... another 50 HP is nothing, that is literally 3 shots with the bow....

Again, you are doing stuff no one else can .....wizards don't have the mana-pool to quad kite yet...druids either..... but as a ranger with a bow, you can (even if you need to polish them off with a few bow shots).

You are exping faster than most other classes....and doing it safely..... you never need to worry about "will I win this fight" as long as you have arrows.

Don't even really need to worry about adds (yesterday I accidently pulled like 10 kobolds.....so I just ran around till they were all dead).

Archery is suuuppperrr strong. Especially in the hands of rangers and their spells working together with it all so well.

I cannot argue any of this lol. Your optimism and "Best Case Scenario" game is at a level I don't think I can climb lol. I know all of this is possible. But when you have "Just" enough mana you are bound to have many times with resists and misses and low bow shot and low spell damages, no? Not overly dangerous if all 4 are low/mid green but blues could be quite dangerous if you end up with 2-3 left and the point of not needing to HP regen has been lost. I'm guessing you just keep strafe running and slow as molasses turn around every 20 seconds and shoot 1-2 times hoping for hits/max damage a few ticks of mana back etc.

Where the heck can you even find a plethora of easily scooped up mobs that is not just taking from somebody else? <<Hint Hint, Pretty please tell me a place...I'll gladly go practice and report back that you were 100%....I want you to be lol. All the known spots have enough people this might only be possible occasionally and certainly not all day long. My intent is not actually to come after you lol. I 100% Really want to learn Ranger and get good at the class. I have never not once seen a ranger with no SoW/no snares round up piles of mobs and strafe run to AoE/bow plink them dead in a timely manner so I'm skeptical @shrugs@ lol.
Old 11-28-2019, 12:36 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Quote:
You're talking level 15+ since you're talking about Invoke Lightning.

A level 14 NPC example mob in West Karana (giving you plenty of room to kite) has 336+ HP:

https://wiki.project1999.com/A_brigand

I don't know what high blue/white con mobs you're talking about having 250 HP.

Quote:
and at level 30 you can sow yourself.....
Uh, level 39 for rangers until much later...

Quote:

You are exping faster than most other classes....
You're not landing many spells for full damage on yellows, especially reds. What you are talking about is not fast exp by any definition of the word fast.

Again, I appreciate your fondness and love of archery, but as this other poster suspects, I feel like you are way over-exaggerating and going to cause a lot of young rangers to be disappointed.

"You know you done fucked up when Yendor gives you raid commentary." - Tiggles
Old 11-28-2019, 01:45 PM
Planar Protector

Hi there, I am a bard, I can run speed buff myself at lvl 5 and kite reds endlessly without any downtime much faster than any ranger. Bow kiting is not going to allow you to speed level faster than most other classes and definitely not a monk. You sir are delusional.
Old 11-28-2019, 01:46 PM
Fire Giant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wallicker [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Hi there, I am a bard, I can run speed buff myself at lvl 5 and kite reds endlessly without any downtime much faster than any ranger. Bow kiting is not going to allow you to speed level faster than most other classes and definitely not a monk. You sir are dilusional.
In theory. But until you get your second AOE dot, that shit is not fast, even with the maximum 4 mobs in tow.
Old 11-28-2019, 01:51 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frug [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
In theory. But until you get your second AOE dot, that shit is not fast, even with the maximum 4 mobs in tow.
It’s not theory, for example I did lvl 8-18 on teal quadding on my bard Occisa and it took less than 8 hrs for those 10 lvls solo unassisted and unbuffed.... show me a ranger that can do that.
Old 11-28-2019, 02:15 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wallicker [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
It’s not theory, for example I did lvl 8-18 on teal quadding on my bard Occisa and it took less than 8 hrs for those 10 lvls solo unassisted and unbuffed.... show me a ranger that can do that.
BUT bards have an upper limit on what they can kill. Rangers don't.

Rangers also make AMAZING duo partners with pet classes, since the ranger can flame lick agro kite....and then let the mage or necro pet bash the bananas out of anything they are fighting (so at level 40 killing higher level things that a duo normally wouldn't be able to do....and definitely not as fast).
Old 11-28-2019, 02:25 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
BUT bards have an upper limit on what they can kill. Rangers don't.

Rangers also make AMAZING duo partners with pet classes, since the ranger can flame lick agro kite....and then let the mage or necro pet bash the bananas out of anything they are fighting (so at level 40 killing higher level things that a duo normally wouldn't be able to do....and definitely not as fast).
Bard can aggro kite mana free... and fear and mez for casters also pump mana for said caster...and a ranger is single kiting a deep red(6+ levels) which would take forever and not being quadded. Rangers are not fast soloers nor powerful soloers, sure they can kill a high lvl non summoning mob 10+ levels over them but it’ll take a really long time and isn’t really a viable leveling strategy. I’m not really seeing your point. More over as a bard I can charm mana free a mob and sick it on the deep red while spamming snare on it too kill a red faster than a ranger dinking and dunking.
Last edited by Wallicker; 11-28-2019 at 02:27 PM..
Old 11-28-2019, 02:26 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by YendorLootmonkey [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
You're not landing many spells for full damage on yellows, especially reds. What you are talking about is not fast exp by any definition of the word fast.
Yea, you wouldn't be trying to exp off of yellows / reds....

But what you have is a 3x mana to damage ratio ...that is VERY good in terms of solo efficiency....then add onto that a bow that is basically a strong targetted dot.....

That's all the bow is, a pretty good dot that doesn't need mana, and is instead just limited by your bag size ....that can still land at reduced efficiency on mobs regardless of level. The higher you get the higher the reduction, but it is still something...which means you don't have a limiter on what you can kill.

Is it efficient to EXP killing things 30 levels higher than you? Nope....but there are a lot of reasons why it's handy to have it as an option (item NPCs, quests, farming money).
Old 11-28-2019, 02:33 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Rangers are not fast soloers nor powerful soloers,
Wrong! They are one of the fastest soloers. It drops off higher levels, but before 35 they are one of the finest.

The main issue is that bows don't really scale to higher levels before velious (or before planes , if you can get the sky bow). Then rangers also get double damage after level 50....and things like the skydarkener...and other really bananas bows.

Still, in a classic world, fighting classic stuff, the ranger can do some nice things with a bow even indoors. Being able to root-rot stuff makes them a stronger soloer than someone like an SK or a paladin in a dungeon.
Closed Thread