Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Class Discussions > Melee

Closed Thread

Old 02-08-2020, 05:56 AM
Planar Protector

Default Ranger weapon itemization in classic

I've got my ranger into the mid-30s now on green and I'm thinking more about what I should aim for with weapons going forward.

I'm currently using Gigantic Zweihander for my 2H.

For 1H, I have a pair of Ebony Bladed Sword with the plan of questing an Orc Impaler in the near future.

If the wiki is correct, it looks like zweihander is the best ratio ranger usable 2h prior to planar drops. I know the wiki doesn't have everything, so are there any other 2h available that I'm not aware of that I can upgrade to?

For 1h there are a lot of options.

1hb: Sharkbone Warhammer (8/26) looks like best ratio pre-planar 1hb with a .31 ratio followed by Enameled Black Mace (8/28) at .29.

1hs: Yaks (8/24) and Electrum Bladed Wakazashi (7/21) are both at a .33 ratio and runed falchion (11/34) at .32. (I assume falchion is less desirable due to being mainhand only)

Pierce: pretty meh, with the previously mentioned Orc Impaler as the best non-dragon piercer at .30.

I think the majority of these weapons are pretty well known. Is there anything that I'm overlooking, or should I just aim for the best ratio among the weapons listed above?

Also, around what level do you all feel that dual wielding finally outperforms 2h? The last level or two I've been swapping between 2h and 1h and the kill time feels about the same. I realize the answer depends on which weapons are used, but any general wisdom here would be helpful.
Old 02-08-2020, 02:50 PM
Planar Protector

Maybe it’s just placebo but I remember a lot of classic rangers going twin EBW’s in the mid 40’s pre-raid. Maybe they just hunted in MM a lot but my hunch is prior to the 2h changes in that level range speed is your friend.

The game changed in Kunark with the Woodsman since the ratio is much higher than most 1h’s. Still, late 40’s with a Swiftwind makes all but the best 2h/haste combos hard to justify.

PS: Sorry for the lack of empirical data.
Old 02-08-2020, 07:59 PM
Planar Protector

Once you get past the point where 2HS puts out more DPS, EBWs are probably the best non-raid 1HS for rangers in Classic. Fangs go for 300-400, so you can get a pair for under 2K.

An EBW will outperform a SSOY in the main hand due to the main hand damage bonus, and once SSOYs start proccing you are not going to want that extra aggro anyway. If you ARE tanking, you've got Flame Lick, so there's no need to blow thousands of plat on yaks. Plus, EBWs are FashionQuest compliant.

"You know you done fucked up when Yendor gives you raid commentary." - Tiggles
Old 02-08-2020, 09:35 PM
Sarnak

MH: Scimitar of the Mistwalker
OH: yak or EBW
Old 02-08-2020, 11:11 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by YendorLootmonkey [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Once you get past the point where 2HS puts out more DPS, EBWs are probably the best non-raid 1HS for rangers in Classic. Fangs go for 300-400, so you can get a pair for under 2K.

An EBW will outperform a SSOY in the main hand due to the main hand damage bonus, and once SSOYs start proccing you are not going to want that extra aggro anyway. If you ARE tanking, you've got Flame Lick, so there's no need to blow thousands of plat on yaks. Plus, EBWs are FashionQuest compliant.
Really good points here
Old 02-09-2020, 09:56 AM
Planar Protector

Yea but ykesha proc also does 75dmg and interrupts spells...
Old 02-09-2020, 01:57 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wallicker [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Like I said, which is great if you have thousands of plat to spend (if he is maining a ranger and didn't start with a caster to farm equipment or plat, I'm guessing his budget is probably fairly low like mine), and either want to tank or want to cast root a bunch of times to keep the mob on the tank while you're proccing.

Depends on his budget and whether the rest of his gear and stats allow him to tank fairly decently. EBWs are the best bang for his buck.

"You know you done fucked up when Yendor gives you raid commentary." - Tiggles
Last edited by YendorLootmonkey; 02-09-2020 at 02:02 PM..
Old 02-09-2020, 02:33 PM
Kobold

what are your thoughts on Lamentation Blade vs DW EBWs boys?
Old 02-09-2020, 03:06 PM
Planar Protector

The Ykesha proc does a metric ton of aggro for that all-or-nothing DD. An issue for a jolting ranger in Kunark and a major one sub 50 in classic. Besides root there is no way to fight that and the proc will be breaking root a lot so your grasping casts will be borking your dps. As for the spell interupt that’s a bonus but it’s hardly reliable.

A Lam blade prob won’t be as reliable dps in Green’s current state. That said it’s low aggro and allows easier casts between swings. Not a bad solution.

I’d go two EBW’s. The fashion is hard to beat and they won’t be amazing come Kunark so enjoy it while you can. Plus you need one for the Call of Flame quest. A spell I still situationally use at 60.
Old 02-10-2020, 01:25 AM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wallicker [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I'd like yaks, but im mid-30s atm, so it's out my my price range still. I can swing a couple k for a pair of wakazashis now though.