Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > General Community > Technical Discussion

Old 11-23-2015, 06:01 PM
Sarnak

Default What texture and other modifications are still in use/allowed?

When I played on p99 a few years ago I was able to use luclin character models, higher resolution world textures, luclin era? armor textures, new(er?) spell particles, higher quality music files, custom loading screens, and custom UIs.

Now it appears I can only use my custom UI and load screen. When I try to log in with any of the other things I get a spells files outdated or error message. All the threads about the previously mentioned things are either locked or deleted/missing. Many "official" links like the one in the sticky of technical discussion for newer character models just lead to a non-existent page.

I found something in reference to a bug that was being exploited in a post somewhere on another forum about transparent wall textures and thats why you can no longer change texture files?

Does anyone have any clear information on why I cannot use any of the above mentioned textures/files? Are there any legit mods I may use to modernize the look/feel of the game a little?
Old 11-25-2015, 11:29 PM
Sarnak

I can't speak for music, but otherwise the only change I'm aware of is that you can no longer change the contents of the GlobalLoad.txt file.

There is still another method for loading Luclin models (by shuffling the contents of data files around so the Luclin models are inside data files that are in globalload already). Haven't seen any official word if this is "legit", although some forumgoers are, of course, vocally against it.

No verification of the contents of data files appears to be done as far as I'm aware. I haven't looked at textures specifically, but I would be surprised if those are checked considering how much isn't. Should be able to swap texture files in data files that are already loaded, I figure. I hadn't heard anything a transparent wall exploit, but it's interesting seeing as nothing prevents you from flagging an entire zone as transparent, technically:

[You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
That's a Luclin iksar in the corner there btw
Old 11-26-2015, 10:13 PM
Kobold

Quote:
Originally Posted by AbstractVision [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
When I played on p99 a few years ago I was able to use luclin character models, higher resolution world textures, luclin era? armor textures, new(er?) spell particles, higher quality music files, custom loading screens, and custom UIs.

Now it appears I can only use my custom UI and load screen. When I try to log in with any of the other things I get a spells files outdated or error message. All the threads about the previously mentioned things are either locked or deleted/missing. Many "official" links like the one in the sticky of technical discussion for newer character models just lead to a non-existent page.

I found something in reference to a bug that was being exploited in a post somewhere on another forum about transparent wall textures and thats why you can no longer change texture files?

Does anyone have any clear information on why I cannot use any of the above mentioned textures/files? Are there any legit mods I may use to modernize the look/feel of the game a little?

* You cannot use the later toon graphic models, ( thank goodness for that ).
* You can use high rez zone/world textures, (as long as they conform to the old world texture models)
* You cannot use Luclin era armour graphics, (god knows why you want to use that anyhow)
* you can play around with your music
* You can have custom UI's