Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > General Community > Starting Zone

Closed Thread

Old 11-28-2016, 11:54 PM
Decaying Skeleton

Default How do I know where I'm going in the game?

I like the no map thing this game has and how the quest system works. I'm really digging it, but I've been given an objective to go to south karana, and I have no idea how to get there from Kaladim. I just started playing the game and I'm not too familiar with the world. I don't want to go looking up zones and directions online, because I feel like that's not how it was intended to be played, my only question now is, how do I figure out how to get there? Are there NPCs I can talk to? a map I can buy from a shop? Or am I pretty much stuck googling on how to get where I need to go?
Old 11-29-2016, 01:15 PM
Scrawny Gnoll

Sense Heading skill, /loc and http://wiki.project1999.com/. Some classes have a 'True North' spell that helps a bit too. Or just get lost in the world and die horribly in Kithicor at night like I did in 99.
Old 11-29-2016, 01:27 PM
Planar Protector

If you don't want to look it up online, ask directions from your fellow adventurers [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.] Otherwise you just get to zone around and find out that way! Hint: Southern Karana (aka SK) is on a different continent than Kaladim. You can travel to other continents via either boat or port (from a druid or wizard level 29 or higher).

Retouched all faces for the EQClassicHD Texture Pack
Retired from p99
Old 11-29-2016, 02:53 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by noja190 [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I like the no map thing this game has and how the quest system works. I'm really digging it, but I've been given an objective to go to south karana, and I have no idea how to get there from Kaladim. I just started playing the game and I'm not too familiar with the world. I don't want to go looking up zones and directions online, because I feel like that's not how it was intended to be played, my only question now is, how do I figure out how to get there? Are there NPCs I can talk to? a map I can buy from a shop? Or am I pretty much stuck googling on how to get where I need to go?
When the game came out in 1999 people just randomly explored because they had no idea where things were. As soon as maps on websites became available that was the route everyone took. There are no maps ingame that will show you how the world is laid out.
Old 11-29-2016, 03:14 PM
Planar Protector

Yes, a wizard or druid can get you very close to South Karana. This is cool! You're exploring a vast world that is new to you!

Praying for Pantheon and/or Crowfall to be good.
Old 11-29-2016, 03:24 PM
Large Rat

I have locations on post it notes all around my desk for the tunnel entrances in Kunark. I'm always lost, so that's a good way to remember zone locations.
Old 11-29-2016, 03:33 PM
Sarnak

i had a drawn map that came with the game wayback. it didnt show zone connections but it did have labels on some of the areas. I use to use that and the maps of myrst book.
Old 11-29-2016, 03:55 PM
Fire Giant

Prior to in-game maps people would just learn the zones and some used cartographer programs to map the zones themselves. This turned into online maps that people usually printed out for reference. I remember having binders of printed out material from live.

If you don't want to use online maps you could still use a zone connection map that will give you an overview of the game world with no individual map detail. Go to the P99 wiki and click on zones for the connection maps: http://wiki.project1999.com/Zone_Connection_World.

There are various forms of connection maps there that will at least tell you how the zones connect so you have an idea of which direction things are.

Speaking of direction..you will want to get your sense heading skill maxed ASAP. Go to your trainer and put 1 point into it. Either click it constantly to level it up or create a macro. Drag your sense heading hotkey from the Actions menu to one of your hotkeys. Then go into your keybindings and map that hotkey to the same key you use to move forward (typically W). Now every time you move forward you will sense heading if it's not on cooldown. This will max your sense heading in a matter of days with no effort. Very useful for getting your bearings.
Old 11-29-2016, 06:15 PM
Decaying Skeleton

Google is your friend. That said, there is always an easy way and a hard way to get from A to B.

The easy way in this case would be to get a Druid port from Butcherblock to North Karana, and then run to South Karana. The hard way would be to take the boat from BB to Freeport, then run through East Commons, West Commons, Kithicor (high on the zone wall at night; high level undead roam the zone at night), Highhold, East Karana, North Karana, South Karana.
Old 11-29-2016, 06:26 PM
Kobold

The wiki is good, too. I keep the wiki maps up a lot and reference them a lot while playing.
Closed Thread