Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Blue Community > Blue Server Chat

Closed Thread

Old 01-18-2017, 04:52 PM
Planar Protector

Smile

I was going to add my shiny two cents, but upon further consideration find this thread unworthy.

I tend to agree with paulg though that it is not the best of ideas to promote software piracy in general and specifically with regard to a project you loves :3 Also,

pras Rogean ^^
Old 01-18-2017, 04:57 PM
Sarnak

I'm not sure if sharing this software even falls under most definitions of piracy. Piracy means you are taking from someone - but I cannot purchase this software from the IP owner even if I wanted to.

If anything it falls under the "abandonware" definition as this client has been completely abandoned by the owner and is not available for purchase, no support available etc
Old 01-18-2017, 05:04 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulgiamatti [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
It's still illegal to redistribute and download the Titanium client online - it's still intellectual property owned by Daybreak, it's just there is literally zero incentive for them to do anything about it. So I mean, don't post bay links here because it is entirely up to them whether Project 1999 is a thing or not. John Smedley and Russel Shanks are both gone, and we don't know anything about the new CEO - if he decides one day, "fuck this emulated elf sim server!" and sends a cease and desist letter, then that's a wrap folks. That very probably won't happen because he was co-president when they endorsed P99, but let's not (incoming pirate pun) test the waters.
If you bought EQ at any time you have the right to get digital copies of your purchase. So torrenting EQ if you have bought it in the past is not illegal.
Old 01-18-2017, 05:09 PM
Planar Protector

I'd just call it redistributing intellectual property, and when done without consent it's illegal, despite being a victimless crime - and when only downloading and not redistributing, one that you'd have to be a masochist not to commit. I'd still call that piracy, just for simplicity's sake if anything. Maybe pseudo-piracy would suffice.
Last edited by paulgiamatti; 01-18-2017 at 05:15 PM..
Old 01-18-2017, 05:10 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thulack [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
If you bought EQ at any time you have the right to get digital copies of your purchase. So torrenting EQ if you have bought it in the past is not illegal.
Also a good point that's often overlooked, although that still wouldn't grant a license to redistribute - just to reacquire.
Last edited by paulgiamatti; 01-18-2017 at 05:31 PM..
Old 01-18-2017, 05:14 PM
Planar Protector

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulgiamatti [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I'd just call it redistributing intellectual property, and when done without consent it's illegal, despite being a victimless crime that you'd have to be a masochist not to commit. I'd still call that piracy, just for simplicity's sake if anything. Maybe pseudo-piracy would suffice.
Old 01-18-2017, 05:15 PM
Sarnak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baler [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
P99 can't get shutdown because they don't use any of SoE or daybreaks code.
This is a silly statement. All it takes is a letter from daybreak to Rogean and then it's his decision whether he wants to deal with the legal hassle, no matter what the true legality really is.

Gonna guess shutting off server would probably be his best option... but maybe he would fight tooth and nail for it. Guess we'll never know until it actually happens.
Old 01-18-2017, 05:19 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by skipdog [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Guess we'll never know until it actually happens.
It won't, and (trigger warning: incoming assumption) even Rogean would be smart enough not to get tangled up in a lawsuit with DBG and just pull the plug.
Old 01-18-2017, 05:56 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
I could very well be wrong about this, I just remember hearing that the author of EQEmu originally worked with live source code and its earliest versions were based around that. Probably not provable either way without quoting something solid from him - something like that would predate any of P99 developers' involvement in EQEmu anyway, so Rogean saying that that's impossible wouldn't exactly be scripture.

Why not make some corrections? I know a lot of people here tend to double-down and get aggressive when they're misinformed, but I don't really care about my pride in elf sim forumquest. I'd rather be corrected and take part in a discussion, which is why I make statements about things at the risk of being wrong. Totally fine conceding anything for the sake of learning.

I'm guessing you aren't too keen on the idea of Project 1999 no longer being protected by the outdated SoE EULA, though I don't understand why since the threat of a shutdown (which was never really a threat, I know) is at an all-time low. I'll survive conceding that point too if you know something about IP law that I don't. I'm trying to help you by saying posting Titanium torrent links is a bad idea, but if you guys don't care about that anymore then that'd definitely be useful to know. Suggesting that EQEmu servers are indeed beholden to the owners of that intellectual property really isn't incorrect information, even if that IP owner gives you their blessing. Companies change, and so does law - last I heard, Ji Ham is only "acting" president of Daybreak, so tomorrow it could be someone entirely different.
I agree. We're having a conversation about it if you have better or more current info then shine some light.

Tupakk-57 Bard(Raid Whore)Afeni-45 Druid (Dial a Port Leadership) |Forums|Facebook| Lumumba-60 Rogue(DaP Security)/(Nocterma Member) & Department of Fun Promoter
Old 01-19-2017, 11:28 AM
Planar Protector

Quote:
I'd just call it redistributing intellectual property, and when done without consent it's illegal, despite being a victimless crime - and when only downloading and not redistributing, one that you'd have to be a masochist not to commit. I'd still call that piracy, just for simplicity's sake if anything. Maybe pseudo-piracy would suffice.
Not sure what you mean. If it's victimless then there is no theft. There has to be some damages, or it isn't anything.

Quote:
Originally Posted by skipdog [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
This is a silly statement. All it takes is a letter from daybreak to Rogean and then it's his decision whether he wants to deal with the legal hassle, no matter what the true legality really is.

Gonna guess shutting off server would probably be his best option... but maybe he would fight tooth and nail for it. Guess we'll never know until it actually happens.
^^^ This.

The legality of most lawsuits hardly matters at all. Someone with a lot of money can bully someone if they want using lawsuits. Considering the nature of this server I can't really imagine Rogean being willing to invest the type of money it would cost him to deal with this. Its a free emulator server the risk v. reward would be hardly worth it unless he had someone backing him up.
Closed Thread