Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Blue Community > Blue Server Chat

Closed Thread

Old 03-05-2017, 03:32 PM
Fire Giant

Default Any efficient grouping in Velious? (30-40)

I am mid 30s. I solo Unrest hags (36 cleric) which is super good XP, assuming this will green out soon. I do mistmoore when I am bored of soloing, XP is not as good as unrest but sometimes comparable in a good group.

I really remember loving Velious back in the day -- but all my memory remembers is Velks Lab, Kael and Western Wastes.... is there anywhere that people would actually want to group for decent XP in Velious? Even if I had to create the group from scratch?

I was researching a bit and noticed ToFS seems 30-40 range, is the ZEM worth it or would people just rather stay in old world until the 50s?

Just looking for something different for a change .... Seems like Oasis -- Unrest/MM - Lguk - Seb would be great for the XP but kind of boring.

Any advice would be cool!
Old 03-05-2017, 03:46 PM
Planar Protector

Bring a DPS/melee buddy to Iceclad and duo snow cougars/dire wolves/giants all day.

TOFS is also bring your own group, good for anyone with undead nukes/charms. (Necro cleric pally sk enc bard would probably be death on wheels in here.) Catch is the whole bring your own group thing. Pick-up groups happen far less in these underpopulated areas.

Retouched all faces for the EQClassicHD Texture Pack
Retired from p99
Old 03-05-2017, 05:12 PM
Planar Protector

There's absolutely no reliable, daily pick-up grouping anywhere in Velious at any level range. Velketor's probably comes closest and even that zone stays empty except for a few solo or duo camps probably half the time.

Danth
Old 03-05-2017, 06:08 PM
Fire Giant

ToFS is great for your level range if you either don't mind soloing or want to bring your own group/trio/whatever. Plenty of undead action in ToFS for a cleric to solo on. Gets risky starting on 2nd floor though and corpse runs are a pain due to keys.

Crystal Caverns would also be in that level range and is a pretty fun dungeon. Just bring along a duo partner with invis so that you guys can make it down to dwarf town to bind near bank/vendors/guards.

As for ZEM, I didn't try to parse xp gains or anything but it definitely felt slower for both velious dungeons than for unrest or mistmoore. Biggest advantage in ToFS/CC is the lack of competition, even during peak hours.
Maamdak Battlebeard - 48 Dwarf Rogue
Crunkasaurus Rex - 49 Ogre Shaman
Mendak - 51 Halfling Druid (Green)

<Paradox> RIP
Old 03-05-2017, 09:22 PM
Fire Giant

The main reason that velious is a "bring your own party" place, is because of the ZEM's (rather low) combined with the mobs HP (rather high) when compared to old world or kunark zones. Kunark and old world dungeons tend to have higher ZEM's, resulting in more exp per kill for mobs of equal level. And the mobs have less hp, resulting in more kills per minute. These two factors combined result in far better exp in old world/kunark zones compared to velious (for the most part.). Just my two cents.
Old 03-06-2017, 01:04 AM
Banned

Yeah it has a few great places for that level range, unfortunately people stick with what they know (which is why Crushbone/Upper Guk/SolA&B/Mistmoore/Unrest/City of Mist are all extremely congested). Crystal Caverns and TOFS are great XP, but gotta have a group with ya' most of the time.
Old 03-06-2017, 01:11 AM
Planar Protector

Trio'd in TOFS... we were killing at a fairly average pace but the XP was slow compared to MM and other places of the same level. If you go, go for an adventure, not to get fast levels.
Old 03-06-2017, 10:47 AM
Aviak

CC is great in the 30s.
Old 03-06-2017, 12:32 PM
Planar Protector

Unless you are specifically going there for fun, leveling in Velious is a terrible decision. The mobs all have more HP/AC than Kunark/Classic mobs and the zones all have a lower ZEM.
Old 03-06-2017, 03:58 PM
Sarnak

It also helps (?) that many of the popular grind zones (CB, unrest, mistmore, COM, KC, etc.) are flagged as outdoor zones so harmony/sow etc. all work there. Makes pulling much easier and if you have to you can haul-ass to zoneline if things go bad.
Closed Thread