Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Class Discussions > Priests

Closed Thread

Old 03-28-2012, 02:53 PM
Aviak

Default On Clerical Wisdom

So i started a cleric a few days back, and have managed to eek my way up to level 8. Im starting to wonder about wisdom - I know that my most important stat..

So far ive biased my gear acquisitions toward AC, im wearing a set of banded,with a few wis pieces. Ive managed to get my wis up to 137 while having the AC to reasonably melee solo.

Am I doing it wrong? I got in a group the other day and was just about useless as a healer, my best heal barely moved the tanks hp at all, and I was constantly out of mana.

So is it time to start stacking more wis and giving up on AC or should I maybe build 2 sets, a healing set and a solo set?

I guess im just not sure how wis works, how much is enough, will it make a huge difference on mana regen? Im pretty much useless as a healer right now without clarity.

Any suggestions?
Last edited by envino; 03-28-2012 at 06:06 PM.. Reason: Meant wis not stamina
Old 03-28-2012, 04:51 PM
Sarnak

The war was probably twinked to hell if you couldn't budge his hp. While it gives a nice boost at first you really won't be able to keep up heals as a low level healer. Even if you are twinked with a bunch of +mana gear your meditate isn't going to replenish any faster than a non twink.

That is why regen items are so popular for twinks but near worthless when you are the appropriate level to get them.
Old 03-28-2012, 05:43 PM
Aviak

What regen items might one save up for and buy? Are there any in the hundreds of plat range or are they all thousands? I'd imagine the demand is plenty high.
Old 03-28-2012, 05:52 PM
Sarnak

Well as a cleric you really don't need them. They become useless as your mana pool and spell levels increase. So really just a waste of money for you.
Iksar ceremonial chestplate is probably the cheapest and upward of 10,000 pp.
Old 03-28-2012, 06:04 PM
Aviak

Yeah that's a LOT. Alright well I'll just keep begging for clarity [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Old 03-29-2012, 05:12 AM
Sarnak

Your AC should track roughly equal to a paladin or shadow knight. Don't sacrifice AC for WIS. You are doing it correctly.
Old 03-29-2012, 09:13 AM
Planar Protector

There is no way to increase your mana regen through equipment. All WIS does is increase your maximum MP. That helps you take down tough opponents or multiple pulls where you need to burn a lot of heals, but if your group is well put together and is pulling reasonable stuff, you will literally not need any extra WIS (not until you're doing raids and such at level 46+, anyhow), since having more maximum MP does not affect how many heals you can do per hour. Don't get all up in your head about being a worthless healer. Clerics are the best healers around, period. You can do just fine completely naked as you're leveling, again barring those unusual sticky situations, which are not your fault anyway but the fault of the puller.
Need a port or a rez? Hit me up on IRC!
Old 03-29-2012, 10:45 AM
Aviak

Thanks for the responses guys, and thanks for the rez the other day Arum!
Old 04-06-2012, 06:41 PM
Sarnak

Wisdom only increases your mana pool, it doesn't affect mana regen at all. I've always said that mana pool is overrated, and while it matters more for a cleric than for, say, a shaman, it's still not that big of a deal. Certainly not something you'd have to worry about at level 8.

You'll want a big enough mana pool that you don't go OOM immediately, but that's all but guaranteed just by putting all your starting points into wisdom. A little extra on gear helps, but you'll quickly reach a point where it almost never makes a difference. In groups, the overwhelming majority of your time is spent either hovering around half mana or thereabouts and never being full, or sitting at full mana because the camp is easy. Very rarely will your mana fluctuate wildly between low and full in a way where the size of your mana pool matters. You're usually better off getting HP in the slots where you can (mainly rings, cloak, neck, head) and then just getting wisdom wherever you can't. Even AC has its merits, though your goal should be to not get hit and your high HP will hopefully suffice to let you survive when you do anyway.

Meleeing will work until level 15 or so, then you're really better off nuking and medding if you want to solo. Cleric undead nukes are quite decent and you can solo alright with them the wizard way, but grouping will always be better. Just don't expect to be able to melee usefully past level 20 at the very most.
Old 04-26-2012, 07:09 PM
Sarnak

Newb zone - > Chessboard in butcher - > Unrest till level 39 - > Spectres or whatever until 50

booyeah.
Closed Thread