Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > General Community > Rants and Flames

Closed Thread

Old 11-23-2019, 06:39 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by derpcake2 [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
extensive feels
Oh here it is.

Quote:
Magic-based all-or-nothing nukes, because the resist check is for the built-in stun effect (only a split second, but interrupts casting). No stun equates to no nuke landing. The stun is also a large source of aggro (all stuns are) which is what leads to enchanter nukes being labeled "uber taunts".
http://xornn.tripod.com/Spells/spell.htm

Is this how it works on P99 or are Enchanters getting partial resists on nukes?
Old 11-23-2019, 06:47 AM
Kobold

Quote:
Originally Posted by kul69 [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Oh here it is.

I don't see any source for your numbers there.
Old 11-23-2019, 06:53 AM
Sarnak

Quote:
Originally Posted by kul69 [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Oh here it is.

From that link u posted:

CHarm: "Truly one of the most awesome spells in the enchanter arsenal, as well as one of the most dangerous. With one cast, a power-hitting, high-hitpoint, created-to-challenge-players-in-groups mob becomes your pet. Capable of dropping mobs more powerful than itself, or several in a row that are weaker, especially with your assistance. However, this mob is yours for a purely random duration; at any moment you could be the only thing near the top of the ex-pet's hate list. Truly, the risk versus reward is extreme in both directions. An amazing power both in solo and group situations, granting the ability to transform a deadly attacker into a powerful ally. Duration will always be randomly generated, though is seems a higher Charisma will help lower resists on your initial cast. Level-caps on the target mob are the real difference between the various charms, as Charm only allows you to affect up to a level 24 mob; after that you must use Beguile, which bears a larger mana cost, and greater casting time. With each upgrade, it takes more mana to charm your target, and a longer casting time to establish your hold."

Absolutely noone ever used charm in classic.

Conflicting feels.
Old 11-23-2019, 11:43 AM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Oh thats right it did. How does it work on P99?

On Live classic Enchanter nuke was all or nothing and that is why it resisted so often. While other DDs might nuke for a few less damage in that case Enc nuke was full resist. Is that how it works here?
90%? Now you’re just being stubborn and disingenuous lol. I love watching people’s arguments fall apart and they just start trying to make shit up and post stuff as evidence that literally says nothing about what they’re trying to prove. I’m cracking up please keep going
Old 11-23-2019, 09:59 PM
Sarnak

Quote:
Originally Posted by derpcake2 [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]

Absolutely noone ever used charm in classic.
What do you mean by classic? Do you mean before expansions? I started when Kunark was released and as an enchanter I used charm when I couldn't get a group.

I think OP is full of garbage tbh. I was charm soloing before any AA talents even existed to "make it viable" and it definitely didn't just "break within 10 seconds most of the time."
Last edited by TripSin; 11-23-2019 at 10:13 PM..
Old 11-23-2019, 11:31 PM
Banned

I don't think anyone has a problem with enchanters using charm to solo for xp if they can't find a group, the issue is that on this server it's used to trivialize content intended for entire groups or even full raids. Most people don't remember that from classic, and even if they do, it's not unreasonable to suggest it should possibly be looked into. The mechanics are certainly not *exactly* what was on live in 1999. We know this because the code here is modified stock eqemu code, which was largely guesswork. Given that it's definitely not right, it could only therefor be underpowered currently or overpowered currently, relative to how it was in classic. Considering how much high end content is completely trivialized by it on p99, I'd have to assume that it's certainly not *under* powered relative to classic. Either resist rates, or charm break rates will hopefully be adjusted.
Old 11-24-2019, 02:23 AM
Aviak

Quote:
Originally Posted by douglas1999 [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I don't think anyone has a problem with enchanters using charm to solo for xp if they can't find a group, the issue is that on this server it's used to trivialize content intended for entire groups or even full raids. Most people don't remember that from classic, and even if they do, it's not unreasonable to suggest it should possibly be looked into. The mechanics are certainly not *exactly* what was on live in 1999. We know this because the code here is modified stock eqemu code, which was largely guesswork. Given that it's definitely not right, it could only therefor be underpowered currently or overpowered currently, relative to how it was in classic. Considering how much high end content is completely trivialized by it on p99, I'd have to assume that it's certainly not *under* powered relative to classic. Either resist rates, or charm break rates will hopefully be adjusted.
I'm sorry, what content? Are classes capable of charming soloing Vox? I think I would have heard about that. What zones are group only zones designed to never let a skilled solo player be in? What camps?

Less to you duglas and more to the thread as a whole, why will no one simply state what the maximum ability a solo character should have? Where is "You should not be able to handle camp X, mob Y, solo. Period." "A duo should not be able to handle camp z, or mobs j". I would love to have that discussion.
Old 11-24-2019, 02:30 AM
Kobold

We played from the first week through PoP... the one with PoK, I think that's it. I had a total of almost 200 levels with various characters and I can honestly say I do not remember grouping even once with an enchanter using a charmed pet. What I remember is the standard line was that it was just too dangerous, it would break randomly and always at the worst time so it was thanks, but no thanks.

The enchanters I played with who were good were good because they did CC really well making difficult camp-breaking much easier and their utilities made everything go faster. I don't remember an enchanter ever leading the dps of any group. I was almost always the group leader, so I paid close attention to who was doing what and how well.

And since an enchanter's ability to charm a high level mob to tank would have been useful like, always, I think that would be clearly remembered.

I don't play a chanter so it doesn't really bother me either way, but that's the way I remember it. And that's just as anecdotal as anything else in the end, but srsly.
Old 11-24-2019, 02:37 AM
Planar Protector

charm was being exploited in velious, and reached peak brokenness in pop for those in the know

just more evidence that people didnt share information to the wider population in an effective way and all of our memories are not useful
Old 11-24-2019, 02:39 AM
Kobold

Quote:
Originally Posted by bubur [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
charm was being exploited in velious, and reached peak brokenness in pop for those in the know

just more evidence that people didnt share information to the wider population in an effective way and all of our memories are not useful
PoP is when I started. I remember them being quite godlike in a lot of situations.

The complaints were about identical to what you're hearing here on Green.
Closed Thread