Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > General Community > Rants and Flames

Closed Thread

Old 11-24-2019, 02:47 AM
Kobold

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacob54311 [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
PoP is when I started. I remember them being quite godlike in a lot of situations.

The complaints were about identical to what you're hearing here on Green.
That's possible, by that time we were almost always soloing one character or another, it could have changed without it really registering with us. Almost all contact at that point was paying him/her for KEI on the way to hunt, and we never joined guilds so no guild chat to tell you what the rest of the world was doing.
Old 11-24-2019, 02:49 AM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Plane of Tactics:

Apparently the entire zone was on two seperate factions. It was possible to charm one of the casting wraiths and sick him on a boar and just before he finished casting a spell, break charm with invis. The spell would land and all hell would break loose as all nearby mobs joined in the fight. The trick was to feed in more mobs from whatever faction was starting to lose. Eventually when the whole pit was involved you could begin pulling the giants into the fight. All experience regardless of damage was earned and all the mobs loot remained on the corpses.

Was the best time I ever had in EQ. It was also very dangerous because as soon as one faction had wiped out the other, everything aggroed on you. Me and a few friends finally got caught and teleported to the catacombs where a GM threatend us for awhile.

Wish I still had the screenshots or me gaining 2 AA points in 50 seconds.
source: http://web.archive.org/web/200809112...-rumors-9.html

this thread is a very good read, to remind ourselves that eq was always a broken game, and charm was broken at least in pop (and probably always was until the super nerf in like GoD era)

as was fear, necro pets, and pathing in general in actual classic
Old 11-24-2019, 02:54 AM
Planar Protector

there were those who joined groups, mezed and shot the shit in our early teens and 20s (irl) and no one pressured us to charm

then there were those of us who sat on top of ct temple and casted down the entire zone where nothing could reach them

it was always about information. if you didnt have it, that doesnt mean people werent doing it. i suspect charm was the same way. only questions i have are

a) when did invis break charm?
b) did charm pets take xp from groups?

need evidence for these. they would totally change the meta on p99. find it and submit bug reports and itll be done
Last edited by bubur; 11-24-2019 at 03:02 AM..
Old 11-24-2019, 09:59 AM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by vossiewulf [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
We played from the first week through PoP... the one with PoK, I think that's it. I had a total of almost 200 levels with various characters and I can honestly say I do not remember grouping even once with an enchanter using a charmed pet. What I remember is the standard line was that it was just too dangerous, it would break randomly and always at the worst time so it was thanks, but no thanks.

The enchanters I played with who were good were good because they did CC really well making difficult camp-breaking much easier and their utilities made everything go faster. I don't remember an enchanter ever leading the dps of any group. I was almost always the group leader, so I paid close attention to who was doing what and how well.

And since an enchanter's ability to charm a high level mob to tank would have been useful like, always, I think that would be clearly remembered.

I don't play a chanter so it doesn't really bother me either way, but that's the way I remember it. And that's just as anecdotal as anything else in the end, but srsly.
Alright staff he remembers. Get in here and change things based on random player’s memory from over a decade ago!
Old 11-24-2019, 11:26 AM
Banned

65 pages of people crying about enchanters on an elf emu in 2019

lol
Old 11-24-2019, 01:02 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by kjs86z [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]

lol
^
this

also charm is so over powered, I just don't think we understood it like we do today.

I laugh when groups say "you are not suppose to force your pet to dw and haste it" then you blend xp and they say "you are the best enchanter I have ever seen".

Pet does more dmg than 3 rogues of similar level.

Also yea imagine playing an elf simulator in 2023, re evaluate your life
Old 11-24-2019, 01:34 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by kjs86z [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]

lol
Says the 60 beta enchanter.

Quote:
Also yea imagine playing an elf simulator in 2023, re evaluate your life
Maybe the only thing that could be more sad is posting on an elf simulator forum in 2023 and not actually playing.
Old 11-24-2019, 02:02 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by kul69 [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Says the 60 beta enchanter.

Maybe the only thing that could be more sad is posting on an elf simulator forum in 2023 and not actually playing.
So I guess you’re describing yourself as well then?
Old 11-24-2019, 02:13 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by cd288 [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
So I guess you’re describing yourself as well then?
got em
Old 11-24-2019, 04:03 PM
Orc

yes ench charm is op here but remember when all casters had to look at their spell book to med with no knowledge of what was happening around them but sound? i think that might be one big reason enchanters can multitask to this level now
Last edited by metatron; 11-24-2019 at 04:06 PM..
Closed Thread