Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Class Discussions > Melee

Old 07-07-2023, 06:47 PM
Skeleton

Default Want to Start a Rogue and Just want to Make Sure I Understand a Couple Things

Like the title says, I’ve never played a rogue before and have been doing some research. Can you folks confirm a couple things for me?

1) If im understanding the way haste works, worn haste doesn’t stack. That being the case, there’s no real point in spending a fortune on CoF, Seahorse Belt, etc right? Since Ragebringer would eventually overrule all those anyway? Am I better off with a modest haste item to hold me over like SCHW or FBSS?

2) Regarding weapons, it sounds like high damage in main hand and best ratio in offhand? So something like a Lath in main and a frostbringer or venomous axe in off? What about something like croaking dirk?

3) Lastly, I want to be a gnome. It may not be min max or even good, but I want to be a gnome. That being said, all points into STR or STA? Or split?

Thanks
Old 07-07-2023, 08:46 PM
Banned

1) There is still a point to getting as good of a haste item as you can get until you get your epic. From 1-30 you're capped at 50% haste, 31-50 is a 74% cap. So it depends on if you're getting haste buffs cast on you regularly or if you have an Eyepatch of Plunder. Imo a CoF is worth it until you get Ragebringer then just sell it afterwards.

2) A Frozen Shard or Rabid Chokidai Fang in the mainhand is probably your best bet until Ragebringer. Scimitar of the Emerald Dawn is the offhand you want.

3) All points into Stam. You can max Str very easily with cheap rogue gear and buffs.
Old 07-11-2023, 07:57 AM
Fire Giant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Croco [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
3) All points into Stam. You can max Str very easily with cheap rogue gear and buffs.
I think this depends on gear. Ultimately, if you’re raid geared, it will be super easy to max, and this would make the most sense. But I’m a Gnome Rogue in very modest gear and having 85 naked strength over 60 naked strength is preferable to me over the 100hp you’d have swapping it for stamina. I think that’s especially true if this is your first character and you won’t be super twinked. Stamina is definitely the better end-game choice, but for filthy casuals like myself, I enjoy having that bit of extra strength so I can swap to resist gear and still keep strength high enough to max with Focus.
Old 07-11-2023, 08:37 AM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by AEH84 [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
3) Lastly, I want to be a gnome. It may not be min max or even good, but I want to be a gnome. That being said, all points into STR or STA? Or split?

Thanks
gnome rogue is BiS
Old 07-11-2023, 10:11 AM
Planar Protector

Excellent race choice but go str if you're not going all the way
Old 07-11-2023, 04:45 PM
Sarnak

With primal you will cap str regardless snd probably cap or come close to it with bis-raid gear which almost no one gets. With buffs you should also cap with good but not BIS-gear.

Stamina is thus afaik the way to go even for gnome but it makes no difference really.

Also, gnome is BIS race for anyone who doesn’t have gnome mask.
Old 07-11-2023, 07:33 PM
Planar Protector

Most casual rogues should go STR. 100hps or maxing Str (attack) without needing focus?

Also OP asks about the class saying never played one and the response is “with Primal”? Lol

1. Go with cheap haste if you plan to group. It won’t matter
2. A seb dirk will be a great offhand forever. At like 1.6k on blue it’s tough to beat
3. Personal choice and fashion > stats. Especially for a rogue. You will likely run Str gear for the most part anyways and should get close to capping with focus even with bad gear. If you have capped Str without focus even better.
Old 07-12-2023, 03:38 AM
Fire Giant

Join a raid guild.

Start rogue with a ring10, primal, sell some shit and grab a fungi, yeli neck, horn of hsagra, and go have fun. Primal how super nice too and cheap. Borrow a Salindrite if you have the right friends.

Was fun.
Old 07-12-2023, 09:19 AM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solist [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Join a raid guild.

Start rogue with a ring10, primal, sell some shit and grab a fungi, yeli neck, horn of hsagra, and go have fun. Primal how super nice too and cheap. Borrow a Salindrite if you have the right friends.

Was fun.
Yeah. I think anyone asking these questions aint gonna be doin that.

Gnome, max STR, cheap haste item, save everything for epic MQ/LR, go join groups and have fun, pretend to be a doctor with a $1500 coffee maker.
Old 07-12-2023, 03:21 PM
Kobold

Quote:
Originally Posted by AEH84 [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Like the title says, I’ve never played a rogue before and have been doing some research. Can you folks confirm a couple things for me?

1) If im understanding the way haste works, worn haste doesn’t stack. That being the case, there’s no real point in spending a fortune on CoF, Seahorse Belt, etc right? Since Ragebringer would eventually overrule all those anyway? Am I better off with a modest haste item to hold me over like SCHW or FBSS?

2) Regarding weapons, it sounds like high damage in main hand and best ratio in offhand? So something like a Lath in main and a frostbringer or venomous axe in off? What about something like croaking dirk?

Thanks
1) it'll be a minute til you get epic so a cheap haste item is helpful
2) yes. or stat stick offhand (Winters Fury is a popular choice)
3) its not even 100hp, at 56 my rogue gets 3.2hp per stamina. you'd get more utility out of str and then once you are endgame raiding often just swap some str items out for hp/resists ... sta is kinda worthless for rogue. plus 60 str is AWFUL for any amount of time.